Who's got sa LaJabless?

Now I got a La Jabless - and a Prometheus.

Thanks Nigel for two lovely sets of mouldings

awesome Angus. one less thing off the worring part of my mind.

just weighed it. so far, with out batteries, with a 145gm keel bulb,
it’s 305gm. the battery pack of enigizer e-squared should be 60gm, to give total of 365gm.
have not floated it yet to see it’s line…i’ll do that when complete.

fins, paint, radio tray assembly, rig, and lay-up schedule, all have lee-way to add liteness, but 315gm…may have to move the line up some. :lol:

of course, when it’s actually sailing, will be the test to see what displacements work.

looking good mate … kudos

muckin with yours right now.

The gear is all in and working fine, so tomorrow I will finally launch her under full radio control.
Report will follow.:scared:

Here’s a construction adhesive question in concert with the Lejabless hull. What adhesive is best used for mounting radio gear? Using cf tubes, thin ply, and/or other materials for mounts. What sticks best to the inside of this hull? CA? Epoxy? Super Goop, Shoe Goop, etc.?

Thanks in advance

Dave in Casselberry

Just plain GOOP. Shoe goo is 5 times as expensive, and come in little tubes.

3M 5200 is the best “goopish” adhesive I know about, and I’ve tried a lot of them. There seems to be a new version on the market that cures in 24 hours instead of the 5 days or so it used to take.

Cheers,

Earl

I use automotove GOOP, and it will set up in an hour or so, and cure overnight.

thx

the best would be epoxy resin based adhesive (thickened epoxy)
more importantly, the to-be-bonded area needs to be sanded a little, not much, because of the roughness of the glass weave, but enough.
then clean with non-recycled acetone, then paste away.

Finally launched “TAHI” hull #1 of the LAJABLESS design today and have nothing but good things to report.
After my freesailing tests revealed that I had a little too much lee helm I made some rig changes which you may see in the pictures.
Basically I reduced the masthead jib to a fractional jib. (cut the top off, for those who don`t have the jargon.)Thereby moveing the centre of effort aft, (rearwards.)
It worked, although still not as much weather helm as I would like, it is now nicely balanced.
The swing rig works a treat and the BMS 380 MAX servo seems up to the job.
The rudder gives me Grand Prix steering ( very sensitive and quick ) which is how I like it, but the rudder area could proberly be reduced with a resulting reduction in drag.
You will note from the photo the nice flow from the jib, due to the leech line that I recommend as the best cost/benefit tuning mod for those who have yet to fit one.
The boat is registed as NZL 9 but I have the personal number 99 for all my boats. The B rigs carry just 9 for size reasons.
More reports after the showdown. :zbeer:

lookin good.

i have a question. from the dry dock pics, it looks as if your rudder is canted forward.

is there a performance reason for that?

nearly ready. floated her today at 400gms (150gm bulb).
that’s the heaviest of three bulbs (138gm, and a 125gm)
and the Rayovac’s at 96gm (60gm for E-square’ds)
water is at her transom edge, and at the curve under bow.
will go in the water as soon as i get a sail servo (fried the first by doing something stupid)

LAJABLESS HULL…62gm
DISPLACEMENT…400gm (100gm AA BATTERY PACK, 150gm BULB)
BALLAST…(TESTS ARE BEING DONE WITH 125gm, 138gm, 150gm BULBS)
RUDDER SERVO…9gm
SAIL SERVO…16gm
RECEIVER…8gm
REC. BATTERIES…(60gm TO 100gm DEPENDING CELL TYPE)
KEEL…15gm
RUDDER…5gm
STANDING RIG…20gm
PAINT…10gm
EVERYTHING ELSE…5gm

Looks great Nigel. Now you just have to find some wind to go with your water.

Happy sailing.

yah, i’m interested to hear how she sails!:zbeer:

For that size water, it must literally tack on a dime :smiley:

Nigel and I appear to have the same float tank supplier :smiley:

Bill

I was inspired by Angus’s query thread about vertical dagger looking keels, if I remember, as well as the one about foils.

Had some thin sheet plywood laying around and worked out some patterns in cadd and the pics show what I came up with. By stacking five layers of ply in the order of 1/64" - 1/32" - 1/32" - 1/32" - 1/64" thicknesses with respective shapes gave me a shapeable piece. I stuck them together with some epoxy. With some filing, sanding, and some filling I got a foil shape that is pretty thin, rigid, and hopefully in the ball park area wise, but we’ll see. I’m thinking to cover it with epoxy and paint.

I was also thinking about mounting some swept horizontal pitch stabilizers at the apex point of the leading edge, but will try it without first. Would that be ridiculous?

Dave