Who's got sa LaJabless?

Does anybody have an update about keels, sails, servos/battery arrangement, the build in general? Performance? Pics?

I’m trying to work out the keel shape and placement of the bulb for balance to get the waterline right now. I want to mount the rudder on the transom rather than under the stern of the hull (sorry about that Nigel). I believe the dimension box in the Footy rules allows this and it just may help with stability and control. Any thoughts yea or nay?

I will update with pictures when I get something done, but I’m not a fast builder. I live in Central Florida and just hope my Footy doesn’t get eaten by an alligator on a beat.

no appologies man.

i’ll have some pics of my nearly complete version.

it will show a lay-out to give inspiration on coming up with something for the telemetry.
i making a new mold for a piece, that will double as the rudder support, and radiotray for the lay-out i’m using.
the part will be a build option, so the regular part for your own lay-out, or the new part for a planned lay-out,
the pics will show all what i’m yappin about.

a week at the most

there will be some proto appendages on as well.

please everyone, show your lay outs as well

I have been away from home for a week visiting the South Island so have not done much on “TAHI” #1 of the “LAJABLESS” hulls.
Now I am home and need to push on and get her in the water and tuned up ready for my easter battle with Brett.
The fin and bulb came together OK the sails will be made this week so my only concern now is the mounting of the servos in the hull.
In the continued quest to add lightness it is important to not go silly with to heavy a construction. I will be interested to see your answer to this challange Nigel.
The photos show the fin and rudder fitted and the swing rig.

soon man soon. the paint came out not bad, considering my, and my painting tool’s rustyness.

final clear on appendages tomorrow, few more rigging bits, and it’ll be ready for photos and weighing.

got the superstructure builds licked, now just have to refine the rigging, and fins.

first batch of fins are a bit robust, but it’s their shape i’m after. if they work, molds will be cast for some lighter, production, lah dee dah ones.

i’m really enjoying this micro boat building thing called footies.
can’t wait to sail it.

Sails made and balance test done.
Has a little “Lee Helm”" which can be fixed simply.
I need to make sure the battery and servos are placed well aft as the nose is not very buoyant with the low freeboard.

That’s real pretty Ian! But were you fishing at the same time, or did you just not trust your boat:p :stuck_out_tongue: ?
Bob

That’s an interesting hatch spplash guard. :graduate:

a bunch of pics showing progress on my own boat.
although ya can’t see it, the logo was masked before the silver, leaving it it raw carbon… looks good in the sun.

more pictures

and some more

Nigel, that is the most beautifully built plastic boat (model or real) I have ever seen .I hope she performs well but even if she is not a world beater she has really proved your talents as a builder. The very best of luck!

:zbeer:

HEAR HEAR!!! :zbeer: :zbeer: VERY NICE NIGEL!!!

Bill K

Your paint gear is definitely working well.

geez, she’s a beauty! well done!:D:D:D:D [i like!]

What kind of receiver is that? did you take the case off?

thx

if it don’t work, there is a place beside the “open footy”, on my mantle waiting for it. lol.
the rec is a spektrum 6000, without the case, so i could perform the wax dip seal-up.
the web only makes the paint look nice. in real life you’ll see the inconsitent fades, orange peel, dust lumps, etc.
tamiya acrylic topped with cheap CANADIAN TIRE clear lacquer to seal it.
canadian tire is an auto/home hardware store, here i canada.
very cheap job.
the next will be done in tremclad.
i might try krylon as well

Nigel, looks great anyways. When’s the maiden? How does the waterline look for balance? Is your keel removeable?

I will try to get some work in on mine tomorrow. I am hoping for an x07 sail number from the AMYA since I started this with your hull #7, in year 2007, and it seems like there was another 7 to throw in there somewhere but I can’t remember what it was right now. Maybe I should ask for 777 and name her Boeing :rolleyes:

Anyway, what a fun build. I will be using the Spektrum AR6000 rx when I can get another one.

still gotta secure rig, run lines, muck with rec batteries, etc.
then she’ll be weighed, float tested, and then set-up.
with some help, i’ll go to the water to try and make it work.
there’s something going on in toronto this month. it’ll likely be the maiden.
the keel is not movable. it was assembled in line with the CLR.
this boat is for me to learn how to set up a sail boat.

thanks for the compliments all’ya.
after all, the real thing behind my lajabless (and future concoctions) is still me marketting my build skills. (hungry) lol.
you all are very supportive, and inspiring.

now, off to glue in that rig.

Looks good Nigel.
I read of your selection of servos and decided to use the same.
Well they arrived today and I was amazed at the tiny size.
Some time ago I had bought a couple of GWS micro servos model mini F and these at 24 grams were to me, used to the standard size Futaba 3003 servos, small by comparison, little did I know.
These BMS 371 and 380MAX units are just ridiculously tiny. Great though and plenty powerful for the job.
Tommorows job is to get them mounted and get “TAHI” on the water and tuned for the weekend challange.

That’s real pretty Ian! But were you fishing at the same time, or did you just not trust your boat:razz: :razz: ?
Bob
Whilst I had the larger size servos and battery inside the hull nothing was hooked up, so I felt it was better to have the string attached for safety.
The rudder was centered with a rubber band and the sails set as for close hauled.
The object of this test is to ensure the correct balance of the rig and foils.
Centre of effort verses centre of lateral resistance.
If it sails to windward with the rudder centered then it is not too bad.
The least amount of helm you have to use the better in my opinion.
As I stated, there was a little to much lee helm which I can remedy by cutting back the size of the jib or it could be helped by adding more area to the front of the top of the fin.
More fin area means more wetted area = more drag. So the sail plan mod seems most likely.
However this may not be the rig that ends up on this hull as the “UNA” style of sailplan holds many advantages for me at the moment. We shall see.