The "T-Rig" is Coming for Footys

I think a flooded basement is job #1, then family, & finally sailing. I hope someone will show one.

frank is just scared of the delta rig…:slight_smile: Which I’m bringing but won’t sail unless the winds are going to be really really light…

enjoy the flood frank. I’ve been there and my basement was finished

Hey Mark, I have a number of Tanglewood MYC friends that will be at the NCR, so they can bring the lead back to me. Enjoy the Nationals.

You can still walk on the water here in Michigan, so no Footy sailing here.

will do, I’ll put a few in an envelope for you…with your name on it…

First off, thanks for the ballast Marc. Got to get going on designing FF-3 soon.

Brother-In-law Larry T. won our annual Tanglewood Olympics Footy event today using his FF-2 sporting an adjustable T-Rig. This is an internal event for club members & there are competitions for all the various 20+ clubs (golf, tennis, cards, you name it, etc…) in Tanglewood. Oh, to be a Senior & just play every day.

Frank I did not see any “T-Rigs” at the Nationals. Although I went Sunday there was only half the fleet sailing due to the higher winds on Saturday. May be they were part of the attrition and break downs. I wanted to see one in person.

Six pages in the thread and not ONE picture? The Hydrogen Bomb wasn’t THAT secret!!

Yeah, the magnificent “T” rig is kind of a fizzle, isn’t it! And you need permission to view it!

While I would not go so far as to call it a fizzle, I would comment that I find the whole air of secrecy surrounding it to be slightly contrary to what I feel is the spirit of the class. When Brett designed and built the first of his rigs (which I think those that were around for it will agree, were pretty ground-breaking) he made the design, specifications, and photographs of the rig available to anyone and everyone – no questions asked. This led to a huge boost across the entire class, and again, I think most will agree to me, spurred on a period of innovation that was pretty spectacular (although occasionally silly – I’m thinking of the ZBF here…). Brett’s rig, Angus’ designs, pre-production photos of Nigel’s Lajabless, all were made available to the Footy world in what I believe was a true expression of what makes the Footy special – a bunch of innovative guys all sharing their ideas about how to make the world’s slowest boats a little bit faster. I mean no disrespect to the creators of the “T-Rig” and as a designer and builder myself I can understand the desire to hold power over your brain-child. But the Footy guys are a pretty straight-up bunch and they are generally willing to render credit where credit is due. Having read through this thread, I can’t help but feel that all the secrecy surrounding the “T-Rig” is a little childish, and that the community as a whole, and even the rig’s designer would be benefited by a little more transparency, and a little less of a cloak-and-dagger routine. After all, its not as though this is the Americans Cup here guys. :wink:

Humbly,
Barrett

My point is that there were none of the “T” rigs at the NCR after such a build up of an unveiling for all to see! As a matter of fact there was no regatta report or photos from the event either posted on this forum in spite of a statement from the event organizers stating that a report was to be posted in the morning of 3-16. I know the attitude that we are trying to maintain in the Footy class is supposed to be one of informal and collegial cooperation but on the one hand no official regatta report from our class NCR, and on the other requiring permission to get a glimpse of a “revolutionary” new rig design. What gives?

I am not the NCR organizer, but looked at the results at the organizing club website at www.sundaysloopers.com

I have been responding to fornal requests by sending outT-Rig info to all that request it. I would hope some of those that received it will soon show up with one and photograph it. I hope to eventually send more details to those on my email list detailing fixtures I use to make it.

What gives? I did not see any there…

Hi Charles

As said earlier, the pwr company shut off power to a rental house in Michigan, pipes burst & basement flooded. I drove to Mi to resolve problems & missed the NCR.

Hope next race will be at Footy Fest in Wisconsin in May.

I misunderstood, my apologies. I thought there was going to be a bunch of boats using the “T-Rig” at the NCR.

Hi Niel,

Actually, the results were posted on the Sunday Sloopers website just as the announcement said. Since Darrell gave the link in the message you mentioned above, I don’t think he meant for it to be taken that they would be posted on this particular forum too. Also, it should be noted that there were some minor clerical errors in the report, such as the second place boat being listed as a Cobra 5 when it was actually a Razor 3 (same designer, different boat). The Devil is in the details…

Regards,
Bill

I "Googled " T rig and came up with this page from Tanglewood MYC: http://tanglewoodmyc.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=119&Itemid=230

There aren’t any photos, but if you want information about the T-rig, you have to contact Mr. Thorley directly, including a copy of the ‘Terms of Usage’ because the design is copyrighted and super-secret.

So it looks like we won’t be seeing many T-rigs for a while…

Hi Bill,

A list of finishing places does not a regatta report make!

The Yahoo Footy group sucks if you are using a Mac! I post here because that other group forum freezes my screen with an “Updates” box when I try to post there. I have had the tech people at Yahoo fix this problem three times now and it keeps recurring so I’m not going to play with them anymore. Anyway, the discussions right here are far more interesting and substantive than the running advertisements and backslapping that are posted on the Yahoo group.

Built 2 t-rigs today with parts from home depot and hobby town. Took about 15 mins or less each they came out great. Can’t wait to get on the water.

Byron, ice is out on Lily Pond…maybe this weekend to play with Footys?

Call me later this week if the weather report looks good, and I’ll get Ronnie and spread the word.

Bill

Will do sounds like fun.