Scale Sail

One more…this is the float test…note the ballast hanging from the keel.

Download Attachment: [ prince float test crop.jpg](http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/data/hoghappy/200471113515_prince float test crop.jpg)
72.91KB

Always choose the lesser of the two weevils!

Very cool Hog, Do those cannons “fire”?

I just ordered a twin masted fishing trawler (Bristol Bay) and we’ll see how she sails. I wonder if I can get racing sails for it?!?! Anyway shes got some kind of weird spinning thing in front of the rudder but if it affects her sailing, I’ll just snip it off. [;)][:)]

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by Rcher

Very cool Hog, Do those cannons “fire”?

I just ordered a twin masted fishing trawler (Bristol Bay) and we’ll see how she sails. I wonder if I can get racing sails for it?!?! Anyway shes got some kind of weird spinning thing in front of the rudder but if it affects her sailing, I’ll just snip it off. [;)][:)]
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

Thanks for the compliment…and the cannons only fire if I need to slow down the ship I’m competing against…[:-angel] I few holes here and there won’t matter too much…will it?

I think I saw that boat your talking about (Tower Hobby) and a video of it and if it is the one I saw you will need to slow it down…man it only had the screw and rudder touching the water. [:-bigeyes] I thought about it but I’m not sure you could get the sails to work as they are static on the one I looked at and I don’t know if you have enough room for the servos…etc.

It is very cool lookin though…[:-batman] let us know how it works out.

I was looking for a boat to use as a tow for mine if it gets caught in a dead calm situation again. I am wanting something in Scale and so far I ony found a PT109 in 1/24. Not what I had in mind.

Yep, The sails are static. I actually was looking for a tug boat to use for retrieval but found a deal too good to pass up. As I am a kit-basher, I see no reason not to try to make the boat sailable. Will she be a good sail boat? I doubt it. When the kit gets here, I’ll figuire out some kind of grappelling hook method. Gotta stay away from those cannons.[:D] [:)]

<font color=“blue”>Rcher,

After looking at it again it probubly will be big enough to kit bash into a sail boat…</font id=“blue”>
NOTES FROM OUR TECH DEPARTMENT
The highly detailed Hobbico Aqua Craft Bristol Bay boat is a
ready-to-run electric fishing boat. Having a fiberglass hull,
detailed deck, and a removable wheelhouse for easy access to
to the electronics.

FEATURES: Hull: Painted fiberglass (Hunter Green,top & Rust color for bottom)
Deck: Wooden, deck detail resembles planks, lifeboat and life
preservers on the outside of the wheelhouse
Sails: Static sails made of cloth with operational lights on mast
controlled by their own on/off switch
Motor: 550 size
Working searchlight, running lights (Red for Port, left side of boat
and Green for Starboard, right side of boat)
Drive System: Direct
Propeller: Brass, 3-blade
Radio: Aquacraft 2-Channel pistol grip with servo reversing,
adjustable steering rate, battery status LED, steering and throttle
trims, and charge jack for optional NiCd batteries, preinstalled
standard size servo and receiver
Speed Control: Electronic forward and reverse
Warranty: 90 Days

INCLUDES: Painted hull, hardware, 550 size motor, 2-channel radio system,
prop, sails, boat stand, instruction manual

REQUIRES: Battery: 7.2V 6 cell flat pack
Charger: Timed or peak for 6 or 7 cell packs
Radio Batteries: 10 AA batteries (8 for the radio and 2 for the
light system on the boat)

SPECS: Hull Type: Fiberglass
Hull Length: 33.5" (851mm)
Beam: 8.8" (223mm)
Height: 29" (737mm)
Prop: 3-bladed (Specs N/A)
Weight: 7-lbs (3175g) (+/-) without the battery
COMMENTS: If wanting to purchase scale crew figures, a reference point for
size would be the door to the wheel house which is 3-1/2" (89mm)
high and 1-3/8" (35mm) wide. The total height of the front of the
wheel house is 5-1/2" (140mm)

Download Attachment: [ bristol bay.jpg](http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/data/hoghappy/20047114542_bristol bay.jpg)
22.96KB

<font color=“blue”>She may be real close to the scale I’m lookin for too (not that the 2 would have ever met but it just looks better to have them the same scale)! The wheelhouse door is 3 1/2 inches. A scale crew for my ship would be 3 inches tall for a 6 foot man. I like that it has a glass hull VS plastic…a lot easier to work with. I also like that you can motor her to port if the wind dies…a big plus! [:-thumbu]

Let me know how you like it and get some pics up. I may be following you!</font id=“blue”>

Yep! That’s the one! I like the fact that it is 33.5" long and comes with a 550 motor which I think will be strong enough to pull my sailboat back to shore if needed. I have a 9C radio so I have 7 channels to do just about anything I can hook a servo to. Maybe even rig up an aft captain’s cannon in case somebody is following me. [:D][:)]

BTW What do you guys think about making this boat sailable? Think it can be done?

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by Rcher

Yep! Maybe even rig up an aft captain’s cannon in case somebody is following me. [:D][:)]

Oh man…my mind is full of cool things today…a minature line throwing gun would be way cool…just don’t put it through the side of the boat! [:-snorkel]

9 channels…[:-hypnotized]

Thought some of you might enjoy this photo of LYNX which looks like itis really moving, even if standing still! Beautiful lines. Photo taken at Port Townsend - 2003 Wooden Boat meeting.

JayDee
Nice looking boats. Thanks for the photo do you have more that you could post?

I noticed also that there is actually a lot of “scale” boat builders around. Seems most of them here are building from kits and stay hidden from the public eye. Local hobby shop is thinking of having a display at one of the malls. And is trying to get some of the “closet” builders to submit thier boats. Unknown what the dates will be.

As for getting cracking. Well once again I am procastanting and holidays are ending so back to work today.(2pm to midnight shift). So boat construction will be on Days off.

Jeff
Alberta

Wow…great pic of the LYNX Dick! I saw some others of her in an artical that was in of all places…“Boys Life” a Cubscout magazine. (Yes I am involved as a Cub Scout Leader with my son…rrrrrrrrrrrr…fall in boys!!!) I also saw a show on “history channel” this weekend about a Baltimore Clipper (I am havin a senior moment and can’t recall her name right now).

I also would like to see more schooner pics!

BTW…since it is soooo hot here now…105-115 with heat index included (ain’t fit for man nor beast)…I decided to work on a web site for the Prince and wait on a better day to sail (one where I won’t broil). Take a look and let me know how ya think it’s coming along.

http://princedeneufchatel.freehomepage.com

Robert

My Bristol Bay showed up just before lunch, today. [:-bouncy][:-captain][:-jump2][:-party]

The deal that I found was a Scratch n Dent from Tower and I ended up paying less than half price for it. Turns out I SCORED!!!

Took it home for lunch. The box was skewered by a long rod/mast/fishing pole so the cabin and various deck fittings were damaged. Yet it wasn’t so bad that by the time my lunch hour was over, I had it 95% repaired. Just need to sit down with a paint brush and touch it up. [:-bonc01][:-bouncy].

Not counting the damage, NICE BOAT!!! It really looks like a well made kit boat with a fiberglass hull and wooden superstructure. It has working lights and cloth sails. It comes with a Futaba radio that looks pretty decent. And a really nicely varnished stand! Of course it doesn’t have those little personal touches that come from building your own kit. But there is nothing that says you can’t sit down for an evening or two and add some details and paint/weathering.

But if you’re tired of building boats, this is a pretty nice boat for less than $190. My only nit-pick is that the rigging was glued on so it is not as tight or as neat as it would have been if I did it myself. Still if I sink this boat, I would not hesitate to pay full price for the another Bristol Bay.

See: http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats/hcab60-features.html

BTW while the hull is roomy, they filled the extra space with foam. So if I want to hook up a cannon, I’ll need to dig out some foam.

What an hour for lunch, some of us eat on the go!!! Thats the problem when you are self employed. [:-angel]

Yep, I was lucky. It sure makes up for all those times that I got sniped by old and treacherous men. [;)][:)]

(“Old age and treachery beats youth and skill anytime”, M.Twain)

Last night, I got to spend some time on my Bristol Bay. I was very fortunate that when the boat was damaged, all the broken parts fell off inside the box. I had one missing brass part that I finally found rattling inside boat hull. (WHEW!)

Can the boat be made to sail? Hmm… The boat wasn’t designed for R/C sailing plus the fact that the sails were rolled up and glued so if you’re going to try to sail the boat, just be aware that you’re going to have to do some creative kitbashing. The deck superstructure for example makes it interesting for running sheet lines.

But other than that, I’m pleased with the boat and it looks like a kit built boat with lasercut wood parts, unlike the cheap Radio Shack tupperware boats.

Maiden run tonight after work!! Pictures to follow soon!!

Greetings
Found this posted in the Mary J Ward group site and thought it may be of interest to some here.
This radio could prove interesting for multi sail controls

Jeff
Alberta

"FYI
After being told by a Futaba rep that they did not make a twin ?throttle?
system (for separate sail controls), nor had they ever heard of one, I was
surprised to see a picture of the robbe/Futaba F-14 Naval model radio on the
web. It has a Twin-Stick throttle for multi-sail boats (similar to Ace
Nautical Commander) and can be expanded almost indefinitely- with a mix of
switches/add-on modules up to 84 discrete functions are available. I’ve
heard it’s available in the US with 75MHz. See it at www.shipsnthings.com or
www.harbormodels.com.

Ace is now updating a similar system, called the nautical commander, which
will be available by 9/2004. The old version is shown below.

http://www.shipsnthings.com/indexNS.htm

http://www.harbormodels.com./Harbormain/Templates/m20.htm

http://www.acehobby.com/acehobby/products/electronics/radios/nauticaltx/inde
x.html

Dan"

Jeff, Some twin stick Futaba (4+ channels) radios allows you to install a ratchet on both sticks. I’m fairly sure that you can probably can do it on most twin stick radios that can be converted from Mode 1 to Mode 2. Both my Futaba 9C and my Futaba Attack transmitter can have the ratchet installed on either stick or both if I needed it.[:)] Also my 9C also has two additional slider switches on the sides of the case but the real selling point for me for the 9C is the ability to assign channels to any of the sticks, knobs, switches or sliders.

BTW Are you sure that the F14 Radio is a Futaba? Looks like an old MultiPlex/Graupner.

I’m using the 5-7 channel Nautical Commander with my schooner. I only need and use 3 channels. I found the twin sticks are too hard to use together for the sails. I do use the left stick for the squares and a slider switch on the right side of the radio for the sheets to the fore/aft sails. I think the twin sticks are best left to twin engines…[B)]

But that is just a matter of preference.

BTW Are you sure that the F14 Radio is a Futaba? Looks like an old MultiPlex/Graupner.

It could well be , I posted the message more as information for the members that come here. All I know about this radio is what I read in the original message and from the web links.

Jeff
Alberta

[:-idea]The <font face=“Impact”><font size=“3”><font color=“red”>ROBBE FX14</font id=“red”></font id=“size3”></font id=“Impact”> is built by <font size=“3”>FUTABA</font id=“size3”> for Robbe. It comes with the standard 4 channels to which you may add any number of channels of various types, switching,sliding,etc to do any action you may desire. It has 10 model memories with more available if required. Mine is fitted with the extra sliders on the face which I have assigned as JIB TRIM,STOP WATCH,HYDROPLANE ANGLE,BACK STAY TENSION, etc, depending upon which craft I am sailing.[:-jester]

Photo of my unit attached.[:D][:D]http://nz.msnusers.com/SharedPicturesIanHB/trimaran.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=51

Do it NOW before it`s too late/

Thing I wonder about is why isn’t it mentioned in the Robbe catalog that it’s offered in 75 MHz. Only mentions 35, 40 and 41 MHz.

Travis

Don’t forget to have fun!!!

As promised, Here are the pictures of the maiden voyage of my new Bristol Bay. I wish I got some night shots to show you as it was pretty cool to run in the twilight with the lights on. [:)]

I ran it for 45+ mins on a single 3000 mah 7.2 battery before it got too dark. I think it could have run for an hour easily. It runs nice. At full speed, it gets a nice bow wave but most of the time I ran it at a scale like speed. Floated around with the ducks and even had a beaver (or muskrat) swimming out to check it out.

And yep, It sails…well…more like a controlled drifting but it will sail if there is wind.

BTW Thanks for clarifying the FX-14. Probably should point out that there are two different radios here, the FX-14 (Futaba) and the F-14 (Multiplex) [:)]