Orlando AMYA NCR regatta?

quick question on the rig rules…as as it pertains to orlando. I’m still not sure which class I’m sailing in…

We are allowed to have 2 rigs (a b) that we can sail and switch back and forth at our lesuire during the regatta

so on day one of the regatta I pick my two rigs a1, and b1, on the second day can I change to a2 and b1, or are the rigs I pick for the first day my rigs for the entire 2 day event?

the way I read the rule, I’m stuck with rig a1 and b1

Here you go Marc:

You can have two rigs that you can use at any time during the regatta.

The larger rig can be any size you want.

The smaller rig must extend no more than 12 inches above the box.

You will declare your two rigs at the beginning of the regatta.

Your choice cannot be changed for the duration of the event…you have to use those rigs for both days.

Glad you asked…there’s probably others unclear about this, too.

Bill H

i figured it was the cae, you pick two and that’s what you got for both days. no problem. just wanted to be sure…

heck my biggest issue was that I thought the event was in february, and not march…oopsie… but I’m still coming, Walter H is coming and John A is driving down with me…

so I did my part in rounding up a few folks…

John A as in tallastro? That’s great news, looking forward to your company again John.

Graham

unless he doesn’t answer the door when I show up to his house…:zbeer:

Darrell/Bill H: Another rig question. Do both sails have to have the same sail number? Let’s say that I wanted to use a1 from my American Footy (#42) and b1 from from the Swede Boat (#202). --Jim Linville

Jim, you’ve got too much time on your hands :wink:

I don’t think anything prohibits your idea, but I’ll defer the decision to Darrell and his scorekeepers who would have to accept the potential confusion.

Bill H

OK, Darrell, here is why I ask.

It seems to me that every Footy I have needs a different size A-rig. All of my Footys have different hull/sail numbers, so that’s OK. The problem is the one-foot-high B-rig. ALL of my Footys have the same size B-rig (one-foot-high). I’m going to bring three Footys to Orlando and make up my mind which I will sail when I get there. Why do I have to make three different B-rigs when the same rig will work on all three boats?

I see nothing in either the AMYA or international rules that prohibits this. Have I missed something?

–Jim Linville

Jim,

Interesting question. I agree that there is nothing that I have seen prohibiting two sail numbers, but then again, it’s a question that may have not been asked before. Another first for the Footy Class. I really understand the point of it though.

I believe that we may have a way to deal with that in scoring but a couple of things may need some further thought. First, if we presume that all boats entered are registered, there should be no duplication of numbers on the sails (if there are, the first boat registered keeps the number and second has to add the “1”). Secondly, with the fleet being somewhere between 20-30 boats we will have to divide the fleet into heats and that will most likely be odd/even to get the best mix. What can happen is if you’re sailing a rig with 42 on it and we call for 42 to be in the next heat and you change rigs in the meantime to “X” we would need to know to make the adjustment. One boat doing that would be manageable but if 10 boats change, things can get messy, slow and maybe create errors if folks forget to declare the change.

I think we need a day or two to discuss this to see if there’s a real issue or not.

We’re getting close to the registration deadline so now would be a good time for those on the fence to get on board.

Hey Darrell,
Other than the limit of 40 boats, I didn’t see a deadline mentioned on either the NOR or the registration form. However, I did notice that the schedule showed time set aside Friday afternoon and Saturday morning for “registration”. Does this not mean that registrations will be accepted at those times, if less than 40 boats are registered by then, or did the schedule really mean to say “check-in” for those times rather than “registration”. Hopefully, this will not affect me , since I did send in my paperwork & check earlier today. Also, if the decision is made to split the fleet into smaller groups, will this be done on the basis of which rule set a group is competing under?

Regards,
Bill Nielsen
Oakland Park (Ft. Lauderdale), FL USA
AMYA #0835
Footy #835

I have the same plan as Jim. I’m bringing 2 boats and several rigs. I’ll decide what to sail when I get there and see the weather forecast. Luckily, all my sails have the same number (or will, most are blank right now). My hull number and sail number may differ but I’m only using 1 sail number. Would adding a unique mark be a solution? Maybe Jim could add an “L”. This would have to be coordinated with Darrell but might work.

BTW, I plan on discussing numbers with Bill while in FL. I hope to have a better solution for skippers with multiple hulls. Let’s discuss this in the Sail Numbers thread if anyone has more input.

See ya soon,

John

The NOR has a deadline of February 21 shown under the heading “Entry”. It also mentions that an email confirmation is acceptable by that date with the hardcopy and check arriving one week prior to the event.

Yes, if there is room, late and onsite entries will be accepted with understanding that we may not, have enough event ball caps for those entries and there is a the common $5 late charge to encourage on-time entries to aid in planning for the event. These gifts are fairly expensive and have a several week lead time so that is one of the drivers of event cost and planning.

We want everyone to enjoy the event and are working hard to have it run smoothly and part of that is not having too many bottlenecks and paperwork issues at the last minute.

Thanks for bringing up the question, it was a good reminder for everyone to get on board.:slight_smile:

Thanks Darrell. The problem is that my boats have different rigs: my American Footy (#42) has 3 standard rigs (main/jib) and 1 tiny McRig; my modified 507 (#204) has the standard 507 rig; and my Swede design (#202) has two very strange semi-MacRigs, and two semi-square-rig. I doubt that I will sail the 507, but I’m bringing it because it goes well in certain conditions.

I hope to sail the Swede design with one of its big rigs and use the tiny McRig as the 305 mm storm sail on it.

Thanks Darrell. The problem is that my boats have different types of rigs: my American Footy (#42) has 3 standard rigs (main/jib) and 1 tiny McRig; my modified 507 (#204) has the standard 507 rig; and my Swede design (#202) has two very strange semi-MacRigs/swing rigs, and two semi-square rigs/swing rigs.

I hope to sail the Swede design (#202) with one of its big rigs… using the tiny McRig as 305 mm storm sail (#42).

–Jim Linville

The one thing we do know is that only one hull may be registered for a “Development” class boat.

In One Design" classes, more than 1 hull can be registered if it meets specs.

This kind of thing is why I very wary of the ‘establishment’.

Do not mistake me. I am neither ignorant of what ‘should’ be done nor some loutish outsider: my main full-size yacht club was founded in 1812!

However, Footys are a new phenomenon in terms of price, ease of construction and portability. In order to expolit the considerable virtues of our class we are going to have to bite at the ankles of the establishmen - or the backs of their knees if we stand on our tippiest toes - to make their model fit our reality.

:zbeer::zbeer::zbeer:

As it stands my entry is in, I think on my ‘written’ entry form I put down my Daytona thinny #173 but in the true spirit of Footydom I am doing parallel development of my diagonal chine boat, the rehulled # 54. Both are class legal and AMYA registered and I won’t know till the pre-race Friday which boat I’ll want to sail. I hope the system is flexble enough to deal with this ! I’m with Angus, I’d hope that even major Footy events can be informal, relaxed and entertaining, not total war like regattas for some AMYA classes.

Paul - as you are aware, my background is in offshore boats.

In my experience there are 3 types of racing.

1. Cowes week: after the race, crews of hot boats do not talk to each other.

2. ISORA Race Week/Cork Week. Crews of top boats do talk to each other, but only about sex, beer and the price of fish.

3. Tranmere Sailing Club: After the race everyone in the race goes into a huddle about why Jimmy’s mainsheet track pulled out of the deck, who can glass up the hole and who has a spare length of track under his bench.

If Footys ever move far away from the Tranmere model, I’m out. :zbeer::zbeer::zbeer::zbeer::disapprov

If that happens Angus, that’ll make two of us

Too true Angus, Like you I did my share of offshore and inshore racing in cruiser racers. From my memory of racing at Cowes I was often too busy post race to talk to anybody. Fixing broken bits on the boat, hoping Ratsey’s could repair that rip in the spinnaker, buying winch handles to replace the ones the crew had dropped overboard and sitting in protest meetings. With the Footy, fixing the boat post (or during) race is often assisted by rivals, sticky tape works to repair sails and I’ve never seen any acrimony let alone a protest. Long may it stay that way.

I too have seen the camaraderie among r/c sailors from the S1M nats down to the pumpkin and region 3 regatta’s and down to the fundays at the lakes.

when someone has a problem everyone is trying to help… Its nice to see…