Orlando AMYA NCR regatta?

FFrank,

AMYA boat registration ties a hull to a sail number, which is why you get the little sticker.

Though I might personally agree with you, I don’t have the autonomy as class secretary to change AMYA policies.

Write a note to your Region Director…maybe some discussion around this topic is due.

Bill H

Bill,
The issuing of sail numbers to skippers, not hulls, works very well in the Victoria class which doesn’t use hull stickers. I have two Victoria numbers and I usually build a new boat each winter, and sell one at the end of the year. This works out well for me since I get to try out new things frequently. It works out well for the club since I always have a ‘spare’ for newcomers to sail, and it works out well for the local Victoria fleet since there is a constant influx of well shaken down used boats. Some of the boats get reregistered with the AMYA and some don’t. That is the owner’s choice.

As you know, I have a bunch of very good Footys sitting around - some with hull stickers, and some without. Letting me keep the sail numbers (I would keep most of the rigs anyway) when I pass on the boats would definitely speed up getting the unused boats into other skipper’s hands and help the local fleet grow!

I know the wheels of the class turn very slowly, and those of the AMYA even slower, but there is president for doing away with hull stickers and I urge the powers-that-be to look into it.

Hope to see you in Florida,
Scott

A little over a month to go and the rules change?

What happened to the statements made that it was too close to the event to adopt the new rules?

It would be quite possible to allow Footy Class registered boats to enter (with which I agree) without including in that relaxation the adoption of the just published new rules wouldn’t it?

By all means allow IFC registered boats to enter (saying that earlier would have saved some people a little money) but please don’t tamper with the expected rules at this late stage when there is no need.

Graham

Many thanks to Darrell for seeing a way to open the Orlando event to all Footys…and for willing to take on the added complexity of scoring a dual-class regatta.

The AMYA competition has not changed, and will be run under the current AMYA (old) rules.

Without running a ballot on it, I guess Darrell had a 50% chance of making each of us happy when he decided to use the new rules for the FCA competition. Basically, each event will be operating under its current set of official rules, so he made a logical decision. That will not, as he pointed out, eliminate any of the AMYA boats from participating in the FCA event…they just won’t have superduper lighterthanair technobatteries or dual rudders! But the guys with the tiny batteries won’t be eligible to win the coveted gold chevrons that the AMYA boats can go for.

So I suggest we go with the race director’s judgement and have fun! There’s been more than enough rules debate around here to last us all a couple of lifetimes!

Get your registration to Darrell right away…this will be a great event.

Bill H

Per Bill H’s suggestion, I will contact our region director. If we have others in agreement, I suggest you may want to do likewise.

I currently have 3 sail sets with “007” and a friend using 6 sets on 2 boats with a single number. As we view photos of boats, it would be nice to relate a number to a skipper.

Our new redue of the www.tanglewoodmyc.com websiterecently posted a video of race #2 of the FFF II Regatta with more video planned for the future… Near the end, you can see Jim Child’s “Hot” Jim-Bob #2 being edged out by Bob Fritze’s Jim-Bob as Bob sailed to victory.

Bill - I love your 427 # as it fits a Cobra well, but would fit other boats well as you build into the future. So, please join in our ground swell effort and help us get this changed.

I will reference this link in my comments, so let’s get more comments on both sides of the argument. Sort of a F & B argument.

I am posting in support of Grahams’ comments about changes this late and so close to the event. Opening the event to non-AMYA members and boats is fair, pity the decision was made so late. Sailing one fleet under two sets of rules is not at all constructive. So what is next weeks decision. Unrestricted rigs maybe in the spirit of the Florida Footy Fest, maybe even a handicap system based on sail area or keel weight. You could probably work something out based on the old International Rule which would make everyone unhappy.

Guys, please put yourself in the shoes of the event organizer here, and try to understand that he’s doing his best to make this an event all can enjoy.

Paul, I’m sorry you think the decision to open the event to all was late…on the other hand, you could applaud the fact that Darrell saw the opportunity and others involved supported it. Better late than never. It was originally conceived as an AMYA event, but Darrell, seeing some of the posts on the forums, felt it would be a better event if opened to all, and took the initiative to do so. I didn’t see such constructive ideas posted here, so I think Darrell deserves credit.

Now, rather than thank him for that, there’s criticism of his decision about the rules. He didn’t change the rules for the AMYA event, he simply defined them for the broader FCA context. I’m not defending or criticizing his decision, but I certainly support his right to make it.

Paul and Graham, you know how much I value your work on behalf of Footys, and of course I respect your opinions, too. But I hope anyone who would prefer to see a different decision has at least contacted Darrell to talk about it, understand his thinking, and perhaps influence it through personal discussion rather than just forum critique. The effort he’s put into trying to make this a great event for all certainly deserves that consideration.

It seems to me that when someone has their heart in the right place and is trying hard to do what seems best for all, that it earns at least the right to be treated respectfully. Darrell has earned and deserves that.

Please, let’s remember we’re just old guys playing with toys, put all this aside, and have fun racing little boats.

Bill H

Oh boy, there’s a lot of topics in this thread.

I’m glad to see the NCR modified to include AMYA and FCA boats. I agree with Graham that running the FCA under the new rules is a bit odd and last minute. It may not be an issue if the old rule folks all race AMYA and the FCA all race new rule boats. Probably won’t work out that way though. There will be some old rule FCA boats wanting to sail. I recommend sailing everyone under the same rules. (It’s your race Darrell. You do what you think best. You’re doing great so far.)

As far as registrations go, I prefer to track skippers and boats. I am in favor of giving each skipper a unique number though. I’ve been assigning hull numbers with the same last 2 digits to the same skipper if they want to treat those as their sail number. I would support changing to a sail/skipper number and changing hull numbers to sail number plus a sequential, i.e. 17-1, 17-2. It’s not about collecting money since FCA registration is free. (I’ll offer race day FCA registration if needed.)

One more bit of incentive to race in the NCR. I’d like to have a team of US Footy skippers at the next Liverpool regatta. I’d like to use the results from the Florida series, the NCR, and a regatta in north somewhere to determine the team. All I really have to offer is the title TeamUSA but if the top placing available skippers from these regattas can represent the US it would be great fun.

Man, I want to go to FL. I’m going to check into my travel and vacation plans and see if I can squeeze this in. Either way, have a fun time skippers, that’s what this class is really about.

John

PS The FCA is the Footy Class Association. We used to have an “I” for International until some folks got worried about the ISAF taking offense. We are an international class so maybe we should be the iFCA. Now only Apple will be upset. :graduate:

FFrank, I’ve been on “your” side of the boat registration issue for a long time.

You may not have realized that, because, as Class Secretary, I’m obligated (regardless of my personal opinion) to conform to the AMYA bylaws and help people understand them as written.

I suggested talking to your Region Director as a positive step toward effecting change. It’s possible the AMYA leaders don’t spend a lot of time on the Footy forum :wink:

I further suggest that you check the bylaws to understand the process for change and see if you can get things moving in that direction.

I’ll be happy to support constructive efforts to clarify or change the AMYA bylaws to make our sport more accessible and enjoyable for all.

Bill H

Since you need to register 20 boats to get the class started, I thinks it’s only fair to continue that and require boats to be registered, instead of skippers. AMYA Skippers already have their own number anyway.

What about people that have a number of rigs? You are only allowed 2 ‘official’ rigs per boat at the regtta, but it is conceivable that you might carry more, or have a number of rigs for your entire collection of hulls. Other than writing the sail number on the night before a regatta, or using removeable vinyl labels, you might want or need a way to move rigs to other boats.

In the future, maybe we could change all that to using the skipper’s number. Since some or many builders have a number of boats, maybe we could change things to have the skippers number on the sail.

fwiw

Tht sounds odd, since the guy doesn’t sell the hulls separately, but only builds the entire boat to your custom preferences.

I’d refer you to www.microyachts.com where you can see he sells items separately.

Everyone,

I’m not sure what’s up with the dissention about opening up the Inaugural Footy NCR to include IFCA members with boats sailing under the new rules. Correct me if I’m wrong, but as I interpreted Darrell’s post, he has decided to run two different races concurrently, one AMYA race under the old rules, and one IFCA race under the “new” current rules. Basically, this means that any AMYA member now has a choice of whether they wish to sail with AA batteries and single rudders (AMYA), or use unrestricted batteries and multi rudders (IFCA). This is an option they didn’t have before, which one they choose is up to them. The only thing they lose is the ability to get a Chevron if they choose to sail under the new rule, but they couldn’t have done this before the change either. As for those non-AMYA IFCA members wishing to sail the event under the new rules, this is an option they also didn’t previously have. The IFCA members who don’t want to sail under the new rules still have the option of becoming AMYA members to do so this one last time. They have always had that option, same as before. So, who is it that has been negatively impacted by Darrell’s decision (other than race officials and volunteers, who will have to keep up with who’s who)? The only possible negative I can see is that there will be more boats on the water to get in the way of the leaders, but hey, that’s racing! I applaud Darrell for being flexible enough to make this decision in the first place. I think he showed good judgment and creative thinking in doing so.

Regards,
Bill Nielsen
Oakland Park (Ft. Lauderdale), FL USA
AMYA #0835
Footy #835

I posted on the Yahoo group as well,

but if anyone form the northeast region is thinking about driving down or looking to go down and want hop in… and or share a room. gas is cheap, my mini van can get high 20’s mpg. room for four…

I am giving sersious consideration (yes I know its getting late) to taking my v-12 and 507 and making a go of it…

If any is interested let me know.

mjs82 at georgetown.edu

I live just out side of DC on the south side

I don’t really understand all this fuss. How many boats does anyone expect to attend with two rudders and/or non-AA batteries? Perhaps you all should calm down and support Darrell in his efforts to be all inclusive in this transition period. Also, how many of you really believe that a boat built specifically to the newly adopted “international” rules will be that much faster than a well tuned pre-new-rule boat? More than likely lighter battery packs will have the effect of having most boats actually float near their designed waterlines instead of sailing with almost no freeboard. And, unless you plan to build a catamaran there is only increased drag to be gained by two rudders, so please, everyone who wants to race with me, mount another rudder.

By the way, if a boat wins the NCR that is not an AMYA conforming boat that boat does not qualify for gold chevrons for the event and those gold chevrons cannot be awarded to the highest AMYA finisher as some of you seem to have assumed.

The third bit in my two bits, hosting a NCR at the end of winter is not very fair to those of us who experience hard water during the months before the event. I made this point in the much older and more competitive 36/600 Class so I don’t attend winter or early spring races because I won’t spend my limited time or budget to go somewhere unprepared, but thats just me.

I do hope that all who attend have a great time though, I am sure it will be a lot of fun.

arrellK-ear

I asked te guy at microyachts earlier, and he told me that he only sells the completed custom built boats. Maybe he’s making an exception this time.

One thing I’ve found in life neil. Life’s not fair…

I’m with you on the “hard water” syndrome. only so much you can do in a bathtub…

I hope I can scare up someone to ride with down…from DC. not exactly a hard winter, but water has firmed up. I need to find a pond to try my '09 rules 507 (lipo battery) and compare it against my v-12 and then try the 507 with the the AA’s and see how she goes.

For the folks who are down in O-town. what kinds of winds can we expect… its been about 10 years since I lived in South orlando so I forgot what the wind does.

I did check NOAA and the wind speed at orlando Airport for the past few years has been from 3-20…Sigh…might have to build a 12" storm rig…

Hi Niel,

Sorry you won’t be coming down for the race, but remember, this is Florida, and the general perception (even if it’s not true) is that it’s too hot here to go outdoors in the summer, late summer through mid-fall is peak hurricane season, and late fall is too close to the holidays, so there will always be a reason not to come down. But the best reason for coming anytime is to have Fun…

Regards,
Bill Nielsen
Oakland Park (Ft Lauderdale), FL USA
AMYA #0835
Footy #835

We’ll I got John talked into coming…

I send the check out tomorrow. I’m coming down. And I might have Walter House talked into it as well. so we’ll see.