Orlando AMYA NCR regatta?

Paul, I’ll have to check on the race-day registration…I’m not sure if there’s a rule about it. If you register a boat that already has a sail number from the Class Association, that number will transfer to your AMYA registration…no new number required. John and I use a common database these days (thanks to Charles Hall) so that we don’t duplicate any numbers.

Bill H

Darrell/Bill:

Check’s in the mail, and I can hardly wait. Where are most of the guys staying?

BTW: I will not be sailing my American Footy (as shown on the list). Instead, I will be sailing my Swede Johnson design Footy… and yes, it fits in the box (upright already).

Jim Linville

I dug around in the AMYA rulebook for NCR’s. Race-day boat registration is permitted at the discretion of the class secretary.

That being me, I will allow it.

Please be aware that a number of registrations will slow things down, though, so please try to register in advance. That will be easier for all of us.

Thanks…Bill H

Thanks Bill, I’ll mail you a check for boat reg then, one existing sail # and a new one, though I’m still waiting for the hull before I build that one. With the way the weather is going we’ll have hard water in N Florida soon. R/C icebreaker build underway for the Nationals, just in case. :slight_smile: Paul

In response to the question about the top three getting the prize boats, that stipulation was made by the donor. We are hopeful of additional donations for raffling.

Justto throw the cat among the pigeons, the MYA recognises the Footy class - promotes it even - but it does NOT register boats. That is the job of the Footy Class Association. So what happens if a UK registered boat turns up, I have no idea.

Just thought I’d cause a little local difficulty !

:devil3::devil3::devil::diablo::paw::tapedshut

Angus: Please come. The AMYA ByLaws clearly state that:

“8.3.2 Non AMYA entries may be accepted providing both Yacht and Skipper are properly registered with their National Authority in that class.”

Jim Linville

Were my legs less bad, I would be there like a shot. I’d event admit to havng a catheter to go on the bloody aeroplane - but I think overall that trying to shift an almost bed-ridden ogre round Florida is fair to no-one.

Any chance of you coming to our jamboree in July. Remember it’s further from Manchester NH to San Diego than it is from Manchestrer NH to Manchester England. And prices relative to the dollar fell by 25% since last year.

:zbeer::zbeer::zbeer:

Mmmm that’s right Angus, the above bylaw would not allow a British footy to enter. I suspect that with this being the NCR then the local club would have difficulty working such a boat in? Trust you to spot that :confused:

Graham

Since the British MYA doesn’t register boats itself, but recognizes the registration of the Footy Class Association, then if the skipper were a member of the MYA AND his boat were registered with the FCA, then that would be “properly registered”. You simply have two National Authorities, one registering skippers, the other registering the boats. The AMYA has several classes that are run as Class Owners Associations rather than through the AMYA, which is essentially the same idea.

Regards,
Bill Nielsen
Oakland Park, FL USA

I really don’t think this is worth getting worked up about people - this time. I merely brought it up out out of a puckish sense of humour.

Next time when (hopefully) the pound is a bit stronger, we will with a bit of luck have done a deal with the MYA. The MYA in fact has no personal members. It is an association of clubs, which affiliate some or all of their members to it. Historically, class associations have not counted as clubs, so you have to be a member of a club, as well as being registered with the Footy Class Association. We get round this by using my home club, Colwyn Bay, to provide cheap ‘outport’ membership to the waifs, strays and First Footys of this world :wink: .

However, largely because of the Footys and Micromagics, who between them are brining more new members into the sport, it is likely that the MYA will soon recognise class associations as clubs. This will make life much simpler.

Sorry to bore you.

:zbeer::zbeer::graduate:

I think i am right in saying that i am the Southern most member of Colwyn Bay
That is unless you know different?

I will use the (little) authority of my office to allow UK Footys that are registered with the Class Association and sailed by MYA members to participate in the NCR. So jump on a plane and join us in Orlando!

Bill H

Another registration point for which I would like some discussion.

With each Footy members building so many boats (4 for me so far in 8 months), does it make sense to have different sail #'s for each boat. Switching causes difficulty for both keeping track of scores and for our webmaster. A big part of the Footy Fun is building and trying out new boats. Also, I use same sails on different boats and it is not easy to change a number.

I think just assign a sail # to a Footy skipper for life. It should not be about collecting money on every new boat and the extra work of tracking changes. I await some comments.

As Race Director, my interpretation is that if you come from anywhere outside the US and belong to your national organization, “you’re in”. No sense splitting hairs on whether they have a Footy Class or not, but you should register with the Footy Class one way or the other to get sail numbers.

The event is meant to get folks together, have good racing, talk about the class and have a lot of fun. If some one puts in the effort, and expense, of showing up, we’ll do everything we can to make sure you sail.

Remember, our venue allows us to sail from under a roof, from chairs and/or the bar if you don’t want or can’t walk in the grass. We even have decent handicap access to the venue, restrooms etc.

That’s excellent news Darrell. While on the subject of access does the pond have a dry launching area, like a jetty. Or is it one with a shallow drop off making wading necessary? Just wondering so I can plan my foot wear.

Graham

When I sailed there in a Footy event a few weeks back, they had a small portable dock, so launching was a dry process.

It is indeed excellent news - but could we use it as a lesson to try and avoid legalisms in future. This started as a fairly innocent joke by one of you friends across the Atlantic. I never expected anyone to reply. As it is, it’s gobbled electrons and warmed the planet to the point that a) I’ve taken my jersey off and b) replieed several times.

I think that anyone with any common sense would say that if someone is sufficiently wnthusiastic to come 4000 miles to race, you should let him in no matter what his precise membership of any body. If the boat had no UK sail number, we would give you one over the phone/e-mail.

More seriously for international competition, there is the problem of insurance. In our relatively non-litigious society, no claim has ever been made on the MYA’s insurance since it was set up about 25 years ago. How we cope with insurance problems here is another matter, but for visiting foreigners (that means you lot :slight_smile: ) we insist on MYA insurance because we are s**t scared of US lawyers and do not want to have a lawyer by the lake to decide whether or not you are covered by your house insurance, etc. Since this vasts about $7.50 it’s not a big expense in the overall scheme of things.

It probably isn’t going to matter this time, but think about it for your next event.

:zbeer::graduate::graduate:

Hey, I’ve heard the expression, “only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noonday sun…” but Angus, its winter, put your shirt back on!

Actually we are making plans to have two docks at the event. One for lauching and one for retrieving. Depending on rainfall it is also likely that those who prefer to wet launch the water should be about the right depth to do so.

In another positive vein, the donated Microyachts hulls, fins and keels will we won by raffle amoungt the skippers at the event. More incentice to come.

BTW we need you folks to get those entries in, a lot of committments but official entries are what counts.