Liverpool Challenge

Same here Angus. :zbeer:

You rudders are nearly done. They’ll be sent over shortly.

Hi Niel,
Yes the boat is a diagonal job,330mm long.The hull was designed and plug carved a year or so ago.When returning to the project I carved a bit off in certain areas and lowered displacement slightly.

The rig in the picture is my well used storm rig off a model built several years ago.I have more stick time on this rig than any other…it is “just right”.
My "A " rigs do have the same leech profile,only taller.
I have made some changes to what others now call the “mac rig” It now takes longer to build and is a bit more involved,but the performance increase is worth it for me at least.I may update the forum with my “improvements” sometime.

This new boat has pleased me with its 2 outings so far,performance seems a step up from before,I have nothing concrete to guage that on of course,I will have to get it around the Internet course for that I guess.

Seriously looking forward to that.

Pete

She’s nearly done. Had her out today with some crap sails I made. It went pretty good. Re-doing the rig because it had some minor "kinks’ to work out.

Got some pro sails now, and the rig mods will be done by tomorrow (hack off a limb, re-angle it, then filament wind it back on.

370gm, 195 bulb, I’m happy. We’ll see how it works in Liverpool, after I larn how to make it work at it’s best.

Some more pics.

And some more. Rig pics will follow when it’s re-done.

Nigel,
Absolutely gorgeous!! Nice work.
Bill

Nigel, your craftmanship is incredible! What a contrast from my “kitchen table” approach to hacking boats together.

I think it’s also an indication of the power of Footys, that we are able to accomodate such widely different preferences and ideas in a class of neat little boats.

I had a vision for how creative people would get and how well these boats could perform when we started the class, but I think it’s all exceeded my expectations.

Great work…Bill H

Thanks guys.

She was built on my kitchen table as well. Sometimes on my living-room floor too. :lol:

Nearly have the rig re-done. I want to go and sail it later today, or some time tomorrow. After sailing on Saturday (despite small bugs), it’s all I can think about. Now just to git some super-long-lasting batteries for my Spektrum.

I will get some sailing pics, and perhaps some video of my efforts.

:zbeer:

Here’s some rig pics. All these photos are on the site in bigger detail also.
:slight_smile:

Nigel,
I looked closer at your photos & got to wondering how deep is the keel measured from the deck? It appears to be greater than the length of the hull, which is already more than 305 mm. I hope I’m wrong.
Bill

Holy smokes! Your right.

For some reason, I totally missed that. (teach me to rush it’s build).
I’ll chop it down to legal length before it’s next official race.
Ya know, I kinda thought it looked long, but I never measured till righ now.

She still isn’t quite at her lines yet, so I think now is the time to add a little heavier bulb. I’ll go to the 200gm, giving her a ratio of 53%.
Under the advice of far more experienced sailor (also the sail maker), I will make a more needle-like bulb shape as well.

Thank you for pointing that out. It would be a shame to travel a good distance, and have the vessel not legal to race.

Nigel - Build yourself a measurement box. It is very helpful in getting all the lengths in proper ratio when you are in design and build phase, not just when you are registering your boat at a regatta.

The first generation hull were fit into the box, and since the newer gen’s are identical dimention molds, as well as fitting in my shipping boxes (12" x 6" x 4"), they all fit in the box.

The keel comes out long because it’s a longer than required blank. I just forgot to trim the darn thing. Oh well, back to mucking with it.

I just read that the deck does not have to be level with the top of the measuring box. If that’s the case, my deck (at shear) is 1/2" above it, with my mistakenly long keel.

Do I have to trim my keel, or should I leave it alone? Now I know this would affect my storm rig, in that it would have to ne 1/2" shorter in hieght, but I’m sure that can be compensated for.

Brett,

You really are one bright guy, your designs are years ahead…absolutely brilliant rig design.
(I’m referring to some of the not so immediately obvious, yet semi-visible improvements.)

I look forward to the day you share the thought process that went into these, and learning about the rest of the improvements that we are missing.

JW

Be careful when interpreting the informal rules discussions here, Nigel.

The discussion of “level with the top of the box” was in the context of Trevor’s boat with a shorter fin that allowed the deck to sit LOWER that the top of the box. Our ruling was that he does not have to RAISE the boat to make the deck level with the top of the box.

I think the rule is pretty clear, though, that the boat must fit WITHIN the box, so your deck would not be permitted to extend ABOVE the top of the box.

Get out the dremel, mate :wink:

Hope that’s clear…Bill H

Dremel it will be.

I did get out last night, and experienced what to much wind for the rig you have on is all about. I sat there for an hour, waiting for the sun to go down a bit, and the wind to slow. It finally did and I managed to snap these two pics.

I’ll try to get some better ones by having someone else sail, and me taking the pics. I nearly dropped the camera in the water, while trying to gybe. :lol:

Well, I won’t be going to Liverpool after all.

Been doing some number crunching for estimated income this year, and that size of a trip just can’t be done (and I’m not going to borrow for it niether).
One of the oppourtunity costs of choosing to follow passions, over putting up with crap for higher wage, full-time employment.

Now I don’t want to come off as sounding gloomy, I’m actuall in very good spirits from choosing this current lifestyle. :slight_smile:

For this year, it’s part-time gigs to pay my simple-life bills, building toys for the child in all of us, and sneeking out in between to play with my own toys.

We’ll see what the future holds, as it unfolds (hey that rhymes). :lol:

Now, back to sanding.

This is within the ‘box’. Does anyone have any experience with sharp double-ended hulls of this type before I think of building another hull.
I’ve really got to design a “receiver-2 servos-4AA” unit that can fit into any boat. Right now, it’s a hour of fiddley work to switch electronics. How do others solve this problem?
Rod