Liverpool Challenge

Distance Hove-L’pool. According to Google, 270 mils, 4.5 hours.

thats a shorter distance than i thought would have to be a very good run to do it in 4 30 i would have thought though. if anyone else is going up from the sussex area drop me a pm and maybe we can share something to save on fuel.

Good work yourself Bill. 25gm! Now that is light!

thought id post a few shots of the new shape im working on

Looking sharp!

grins looking good indeed UKsail…

nigel, that boat looks fantastic… a little like my design… i like it!

this looks like it will be a great contest!

Note - it’s fractionally less distance from Boston to Liverpool than it is from Boston to LA!

most interesting angus… duly noted! :wink:

To expand on this Bill…
There are more UK legal 27mHz frequencies than in the USA and all of the USA 27mHz frequencies coincide with UK frequencies.

USA…UK colour
26.995…Brown
27.045…Red
27.095…Orange
27.145…Yellow
27.195…Green
27.255…Blue (UK Blue is also 27.245)

In the UK you would be expected to fly a flag of those colours from your Tx.

Very common in the UK are the ‘split’ frequencies on 27mHz, these are
26.975…Black or Grey/Brown
27.025…Brown/Red
27.075…Red/Orange
27.125…Orange/Yellow
27.175…Yellow/Green
27.225…Green/Blue
27.275…White or Purple

Fly two flags or a combined flag.

All of the above will be compatible with your USA 27mHz set so you pick those up in the UK to use there if you wish.

As Angus said the other UK surface frequency band is on 40Mhz, not useable in the USA. Plus the Spread Specrtum 2.4GHz gear of course which is a worldwide standard.

Hope this helps,
Graham

Thanks, Graham…very complete. Rather than invest in 27mhz, which is rather limited here, I used the trip as an excuse to buy a Spektrum radio. I understand they even work in Sheboygan! :wink:

Bill

p.s. Angus, great(!!) work on getting arrangements together. All sounds fantastic, and you can count me in on the University accomodations.

You ain’t seen nothing yet!

I can now officially annnounce that Graham Bantock will be presenting a paper at the Livrpool Symposium. This will probably revolve around VPP wor he has been doing on Footy-sized craft.

It would be most interesting if any papers etc could somehow be posted to this forum as well. There has been much discussion about the advantages of thin vs fat hulls. Papers such as you mention may shed some light on this. Of course, race results at your Liverpool Challenge may end all debate on the subject.

Walt:

The intention is that the transactions of the symposium be published as a proper book by Curved Air Press, run by Russell Potts the well-known historian of model yachting. The cover price (probably around $20) is intended to cover the cost of publication. I should imagine that this mlitates against the possibility of publication on this forum. It does, however, mean that the document is less transient.

If you were to come to Liverpool to race and give a paper yourself, you would be extremely welcome. If you send your e-mail address to me at translate@enterprise.net, I will put you on the mailing list.

It would also be possible for you to give a paper by proxy.

This spider is getting out of control of its web. If I believe only HALF the rumours I’m heaing, we are going to be descended by half the top IOM SAILORS in UK. THere is realarive silence in the USA and an inscrutable withing of a Happy Year of te Rat from China. Brett has had some enquires.

Whether there will be a book form publication or not depends on what the contributions turn out to be like, how well we can incorporate the discussion material, and whether I think there is actually going to be a sufficient market. My printers can do very short runs at no significant increase in price, so a run of only 50 copies, or even less, is possible. I price my books on the basis that selling half of them at cover price will cover the production costs. As a fair proportion are sold through the trade at a discount, this leaves precious little to cover my time and effort, but I’m not doing it to make a living.

If for any reason I decide not to go to a book form publication, I will certainly look at naking the material available in some other way, either as a post her, or on a CD.

Russell

working up the new boat with storm rig.
seems to have enough gas to out pace the kids swimming!

Brett, it was VERY NASTY OF YOU to cut your children’s legs off. I’m not going to be friends with you ANY MORE. :devil3:

Hey Brett,

Looks good. Is this the boat derived from the blue foam plug that you showed in a thread many moons ago? Fits diagonally in the Box, correct?

Nice storm rig as well. I have pointed out before that the upper triangular part of our sails are generally too narrow to be effective at generating lift and just add drag up high. Footies need to make use of the limited sail area they can carry. Drag aloft doesn’t help upwind and contributes to nose down running before the wind. Both areas in Footy development that need innovative solutions.

One last comment, the most efficient soft sails on big boats are those carried by windsurfers and catamarans. Both of these boat types sport sails with cropped tops. Brett’s “B” rig version in his post is a bit extreme, but the rig is for extreme conditions. Those of you out there making McRigs should consider making your sails like Brett’s rig but with a higher aspect ratio as “A” rigs.

Looking fast Brett. Makin them boys work for it.

Got some progress on my contender. Yaw control coming along.

Come on Neil, Liverpool needs you! Book early for the best deals!

Realy looking forward to meeting you here Nigel!

:zbeer: