Liverpool Challenge

I vaguely remember seeing something around here that made me think USA radio frequencies could not be used in the UK.

Can someone help with freq info that I’ll need when I go across the pond?

Thx…Bill H

27 MHz or 40 MHz European standard. Also GHz systems are universal, I think.

:graduate:

Is GHz the Spektrum type? Might give me a good excuse to buy a new radio.

Yep!

There might be charger problems - our mains are 220 V AC -but I’m sure we can find a magic plug!

Just got to finish the new weapon, get a plug converter, save fer the trip,
and catch the flight.

I’ll post pics of my contender, as I progress.

Cheers gang:)

Working hard on my entrant…will update my blog in a few days.
Have hatched an idea to get me there…might just work.

Help me get to Liverpool!!

The only way I can make it is if I raise some extra cash.
Lucky for me I have the moulds to the Footy that won the last UK champs(4th place also).I have calculated that if I build and sell 30 of my Micron hulls I can afford the airfare to the UK from the other side of the earth.
So here goes nothing.
What you get…
Micron Footy hull only moulded in epoxy glass to my usual high standard.(light and stiff-20 years experience moulding model yacht hulls)) I have added some extra freeboard to the bow after consultation with the UKs top footy sailors.
Rig and appendage layouts as used by the 1st and 4th placegetters at the last nationals.
Each hull with be numbered starting from “Liverpool #1
Timber blanks for the appendages and suggested section shapes(I have consulted a top airfoil designer for this) will also be included.
price for all of the above is $80 US or 40 UK pounds. postage included (airmail/anywhere)
This is an unique opportunity to get a top of the line Footy hull with race proven results with the extra kicker that you will receive all the rig/appendage details of how the top UK sailors have optimised the boat to championship level.
30 only will be moulded in this run…reserve yours now via e mail bsmack@es.co.nz

The other mouldings I have which may be of interest is the Richardson designed Akela/Moonshadow hull.
I have negotiated a royalty arrangement with the designer(Pints of beer in Liverpool) to allow 5 only sisterships to be built.
The Moonshadow mouldings include a deck flange and central deck area and a glass skinned balsa transom.these hulls are more labour intensive so I will have to charge $160US or 80UK pounds.
I will include scale drawings of the rig/appendage layout designed for the original MoonShadow.
Again reserve your hull via e mail bsmack@es.co.nz

I will publish the list of reserved hull numbers/owners on this site.Get in quick.
Cheers
Brett
( building boats with a purpose!!)

I’m in the same vote.

Gotta raise money via cutting edge footy sales, to get to Liverpool.
Same deal, Euro Grand Prix winner, cutting edge, Bling Bling, and Lah Dee Dah
included.
A lot of new tooling in the mix, check the site often for updates.

I hope we both get there Brett. We gotta have pints with Angus and the boys. :zbeer:

Well done you folks!

Nigel, what you didn’t tell the people is that you just bought the ticket! With commitment like that around, this event is going to be a blast.

Therre are more big beasts lining up in the wings, just waiting for another guy to say ‘yes’. Can’t tell you who they are, but they’re waiting!

As an added incentive to Brett’s Moonshadow deal, I will release most test and manufacturing information about Voortrekker (the new Moonshadow successor) to anyone taking up Brett’s Moonshadow offer.

Just to make sure you are getting value for money, the designers’ royalty (which Brett insisted on) is 1/2 pint beer payable in Liverpool.

Oh yes the ticket is bought, just have to pay for it now.:smiley:

Just finished carving some foil plugs, and the transom is gluing on now.

For further nitty, gritty contact me directly on _+44 1492 534 356 or at translate@enterprise.net. To sum up developments so far, Bill Hagerup and Nigel Heron are now committed: dollars have been paid. Bill Letten, the current UK champion says he will be coming: he does make a slight reservation for health problem in the family. John Cadenhead of Southwater Dabblers is in a similar position and where those two lead, many often follow.

Pter Stollery, ex-IOM world champion and chairman of the MYA would like to appear on the Sunday and perhaps the Monday but cannot guarantee it. I think this revolves around a professional/acdemic hooley on Saturday and the size of the resulting hangover - but I may be totaly wrong. Bill Green, ex-6 metre champion, has it ‘heavily pencilled in’. Perhaps most excitingly, Graham Bantock has agreed ‘in principle’, to come and to read a paper. On asking him, ‘in principle’ means that we did not give firm dates when we first contacted him and he has to sort things out in his diary. We should know in the next day or three.

I have enquiries from eight other top class sailors in the USA an Canada. These may come to nothing - but how marvellous if they did. To you lurkers on the edges, I think we have gained critical mass: we can promise you an event of World stature.

On the practical side, I can confirm bed & breakfast in student dorms close to the venue at GPB 40.00 per night. These are single rooms, not en-suite but properly clean and comfortable. For people staying in England outside the immediate period of the regatta, a number of members have said they are willing to provide hospitality in Liverpool, London and elsewhere. For anyone wishing to do the regatta in Hove the week before, we may be able to arrange transport from Hove/Greater London in somebody’s car.

Here is the beginings of my contender. So far, she weighs 31gm.
Half the weight of the Lajabless generation-1, that I made a year ago.
We’ll see what the finished weight will be, and what ballast ratio I’ll achieve.

Muscle-Footy? Don’t know yet, but this is me flexing. :zbeer:

More pictures

looks great its cool to see people take such diferent aproches to shoot for the same goal. ive just started shaping my skiney plug so looking forward to seeing what the diferances will be.

Are you coming to Liverpool as well?

Very nice work.

From some angles it reminds me of Darth Vader.:wink:

Are you planning to sell hulls?

I hope to make a molded hull before too long, but I will just be testing crazy ideas as usual so I will not put that much work into it. I love the look of carbon fiber.

Pete

Thanx.

I do sell’em: www.freewebs.com/heroncomposites
Had some bad luck with original tooling, and now in the process of re-tooling.
They’ll be ready soon.

:zbeer:

i would like to depends if i am free from work at the time and if i can aford it.
will hopfuly get to the hove one as its only 15mins away liverpools like 6+ hours drive for me so just have to se closer the time

Beautiful work as usual, Nigel. I’m looking forward to seeing you in Liverpool…maybe we could work out a collaborative project.

Bill H