Combine the multihull classes

Peter

Is there any chance that plans could be made available for one of your multihulls, current or a generation or 2 old along with some construction photos so we can see how your making them. It would be easier then shipping a boat over here.

Dick,

I am not defending Doug. If interested in having Doug banned, go directly to Chad.

Here is the the meat of the privacy statement we all agreed to when signing up for this forum:

“…Remember that all information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to share any of your personal information. Any user who finds material posted by another user objectionable is encouraged to contact us via e-mail…”

The Other Matt

The hypocrisy of some regarding the e-mail issue is too much! I have sent(and received) e-mails to many people and 99% of them have been to help or explain something that the person receiving it was glad to get.I have NEVER engaged in any form of e-mail abuse that remotely could be described as “harrassment”! That is an outright lie!!! I have NEVER used profane language or profanity in any form…
I have received e-mails(at different times) from at least three of the individuals complaining of my reaction to Dan here that could only be described as very
unfriendly.
I was angry and rightfuly so when I sent that e-mail to Dan but the thought was to avoid saying that on the forum;(I said he was an " idiot"-because of the way he deliberately and maliciously manipulated the statement I had made in a previous post) I should not have sent it but for these people to pretend to be “holier than thou” while engaging in exactly the same thing is the heigth of hypocrisy!!!

Doug Lord
–High Technology Sailing/Racing

Thanks for the positive posts relating to what is happening here in Australia regarding the mini40 multi’s. We are all down here trying to make this class competitive but reasonably cheap to get into. For that reason as I have said before we all talk to each other about what we are doing, or planning to do, and the ideas get discussed at length( but not for months) to see if the ideas are a step in the right direction.
Photos of a boat in construction can be posted, and will be posted when the next boat is started. We use modified Snapdragon or Ghost train floats these modifications have never been put to proper plans but maybe we should start to take the time to complete this step as well. What happened at the start, is a set of female moulds were made, but they have been modified or re-built to suit the way we are going now. So it is not possible to produce the boat that we were using 12 months ago. We believe that to hold on to the out dated moulds is a step backwards. The original moulds were modified that much that they were actually given a burial and new moulds were made. It won’t be long before this set of moulds will go the same way.
If you would like a starting point, get a Marblehead that is about 220mm at it’s widest point on deck, then cut it down (we take out the centre ) and graft it back together. Then get a set of Ghost Train floats and adjust them so that the widest point is about 4 1/2 inches tapering back to around 2 inches and it’s depth is around 4 inches tapering back to about 2 1/2 inches. We use 5/8(16mm) aluminium tube for crossbeams that are bent to give about 7 degrees upward angle on the floats. Centre boards are around 12 inches deep symetrical in shape, with the leading edge vertical and the tailing edge slightly racked forward.i.e if it has a width of 3 inches at the hull then it is about 2 1/2 inches at it’s toe. These boards are made around 5mm thick that taper to around 3mm at the toe. Rudders have the same basic shape but they are made narrower, i.e if 2 1/2 inches at the hull then 2 inches at that toe. Both centreboard and rudder have 3/16 stainless rod inserted in them, there is 2 in the centreboard, basically they are known as locating pins. Brass or stainless tubes are fixed into the hull to take these locating pins(or rudder shaft).
If this helps anyone over there to get started on a boat, or at least interested to learn more, photos will be posted as soon as they are available with detailed descriptions of what each one is all about.

The idea of the original post (and no I don’t mean to open a can of worms) was that I have a vision that one day in years to come there will be a world championship for a multihull about 1200mm long. At the present point in time we have
mini40 (european and oceania)
U.S. mini40
F-48
All these craft have (slightly) different rules at the moment, but these differences make my dream an impossiblity.
This comment isn’t meant to cause angst, it’s just an explaination of the original post.
Peter

Peter,

I looked at your club site, and followed a link there to this:

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~billett/index.html

Is this the current design/building activity? Looks very interesting!

Pardon me for this stupid question: how far are you from Brisbane?

The Other Matt

Matt
Richard’s boat is the current champion(blue tri on the club site under photos) but it has since been upgraded.
I live in Brisbane.
Peter

Matt
The other thing you may like to know is that during the last titles, (which you can tell by the photos was sailed in very light breezes) Richards boat was frequently sailing on just the leeward hull for controlled periods of time (about 10-15 seconds).
Just a point that you may have been interested in.
Regards
Peter

Peter,

I have a good friend in Brisbane. He is heavily involved in the historical 18 foot skiffs activity in the area.

I will point him to you guys, because I think he would like to see what you are doing. If I just say “North Lake”, will he know where to go?

The Other Matt

Hey Peter - you are either up very late, or up very early! 2AM, right?

The Other Matt

Peter, I would like t get a quote on the boat ready to ship. You said yesterday that the price including three rigs+sails and radio would be 390AUD. What would the additional charge be to pack the boat in a crate as described yesterday?
Would you e-mail me at: lorsail@webtv.net the pickup address so that I can get a shipping quote?
I must have missed it but what material/resin are the hulls made out of?

Doug Lord

Matt
I also know people involved in th historical 18 footers. In fact one of our members used to sail one on the Brisbane River.
If you tell your friend that we are at North Lakes at Mango Hill(near Kallangur) he should have no trouble finding us.
It is 2am here.
Doug the size crate you have stated is big enough for the hulls, beams, etc but I don’t like the idea of masts in two pieces. If it was possible to have a section of the crate (maybe down one side) long enough to accomadate No.1 masts in one piece would suit us better.No.1 masts here are 2.3 metres long.
The boats to us are a labour of love. If you supply the crate and pay all shipping costs,it will be packed in a way that it shouldn’t be damaged in any way, I’m guessing for an additional $50 AUD.
I will notify you via e-mail when the building of the boat has started.
The hull and decks of the boats are made out of either 2 layers of 120oz fibreglass cloth or three layers of 75oz cloth. Using vinylester resin.
Peter

Peter, do you have access to heavy wall cardboard tube(10mm wall); maybe the rigs could be shipped in that. I need an address to get a shipping quote.A couple of us are seriously considering ordering a boat.

Doug Lord

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by Peter _Birch

At the present point in time we have
mini40 (european and oceania)
U.S. mini40
F-48
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

Peter - please dispose of, destroy or get rid of the rules version titled US Mini40 !

This was our draft version sent to the French that was soundly “thumped”, and which required us to develop the F-48 version.

Originally we tried to make as few changes as possible, that that is why the very closeness of “Mini40” and “US Mini40” rules. Because of their (French) objections - the US Mini40 has been dropped and really doesn’t exist. DRAFT Copies got out during our proposal/discussion stages and some have thought we adopted these. We haven’t, and all US boats (that I am aware of) are being built to the F-48 Rules.

By dropping the US Mini40 rules, it is one less bit of confusion. Please pass this on accordingly within your club - and to Richard - who has posted them on his website.

Many thanks - it will help eliminate confusion.

Yes we do have 10mm wall cardboard tube. I think shipping the rigs inside this will work really well. The other option would be heavy gauge" hard plastic tube. Boats will be available to anyone who what’s them. If it helps, use Brisbane City as an address for a quote.

Thanks for the insight into the U.S min40, it does help to know the “class” doesn’t really exist.Narrows things down somewhat too.
Peter

Peter,

I will relay the info. “Peter’s Gift” is the historical skiff he sails, by the way:-)

The Other Matt

Matt
The guy that you are talking about, his name wouldn’t be Peter Lee by any chance?

Peter

There is an eror in a previous post. The fibreglass cloth we use is 120gsm or 75 gsm(grams per square metre) and not ounces.
Sorry guys.

Peter

Peter - nope - his name is Mark Graveson. I did pass your information along, and I think he might stop by sometime to see your boats.

The Other Matt

Just an update: I talked over the idea of purchasing one of the Australian glass and aluminum(fastest in the world) multi’s with another multihull sailor and neither one of us can justify the cost for this type of boat-even to splitting the cost.
For anyone else interested: shipping cost to the US would be around $300US.
I highly recommend purchasing one of Ian Sammis’ Nightmares now or one of my X3’s down the line rather than spending money on the Australian glass and aluminum boat.

Doug Lord

Clarification on the misinformation posted by Doug. The price to send A boat to the U.S is $300AUD with QANTAS. The boat hopefully soon will be tested against the Nightmare as there is negotiations in the pipe line to have the boats(through an exchange? idea) race each other.
Although there are boats being built privately, the Nightmare or the Australian boat are currently (to my knowledge) the only ones available to purchase through builders. Maybe we will see the X3 come on to the market, but I doubt it.
Just a point Doug, I can show evidence of the speed and sailing ability of the boats that we build and sail. Can you??
Peter