Americas cup gossip

Hmmmmm - maybe that is the answer, although the last Sydney-Hobart seemed to indicate a lot of “drop outs” too - especially those designed to race in those type of conditions. Regardless - start and finish at the original US Cup site (Newport) and simply do an around the world - run-what-ya-brung type of rules. Would that not demonstrate ability for upwind, reaching and downwind sialng? Would that not “force” designers to build boats for actual “racing” conditions? Would crews and grear not be optimised for floating equator sailing as well as South Pacific “roaring fortys”? No problems in having to pay a ton of money for “AC camps/bases”. Competitors would be sailing the concept boat that the designer felt would last the total race. Delete stop-overs, equipment changes/repairs. Make it a true “iron-man” kind of race. Finally - go back to nationalities (which change I personally felt killed a lot of interest) and let al the hardware be sourced wherever - but ALL crew/owners are from the country they represent. If I had the ability to cheer for Americans on American boats - I might actually watch - but after we left the 12 meters for the kind of fragile boats prone to break - all I really feel is an emptiness. Because of my love for speed and multiple hulls, at least I found some common ground - but admit today, the last AC Cup witht he cat and tri was merely an exercise in advertisement and promotion.

Let the French line up with some of their off-shore trimarans, and I think both the US and Swiss might have come out differently. The French (by far) have pushed the limits and designs for big, off-shore multis and the rest of the world - well, we’ve played with oversize, overgrown beach cats - (although credit due to the Tybee Island and Worrell and similar beach cat marathon events) that do demonstrate the ability of the design to withstand some ocean racing - tho limited.

Unless you have raced - or watched a world catamaran event of any major class, or better yet participated - don’t discount a need for knowing/using tactics AND boat speed. We all sail by the same set of racing rules, so what is done in dinghies, is done in skiffs, is done in multihulls, is done in fourty foot monohulls, is done in 100 foot maxis. It is just “we” have dropped the lead and added a hull - otherwise I would opt to disagree with most who defend a monohull as the only “true” form of AC Cup racing. I “would” buy in to that argument if the boats went back (as you say) to the J Class size and crews of 20+ needed to sail them. There I would grant you I would see a true interest.

Cheers, and Happy New Year. Let’s see where we wind up in 2011.

Hmmmmm - seems there was a lot of speculation from “informed” (or not) sources, and yet no one has managed to post that the cup races WILL be held in San Francisco. Then again - does anyone else care? Probably not, so we can end the gossip and sit back and watch.

But - perhaps they can pull out and move to Newport alternative. Wonder what waterfront property is going for these days in Valencia?

Happy New Year all,
As that last comment was a pop at me I thought I’d reply first!

Well, the speculations were true enough… Read the media coverage, its all there… What a shame these guys can’t organize a piss up in a brewery.

Really though, was this amount of B.S. necessary?

Probably not, and in a way Dick is right, not that bothered now either.

Valencia is still going very strong, thanks! 3 TP52’s in build, 1 Volvo 70 in build, the Future fibres mast facility + Team Artemis setup make VLC a bit of an epi-centre for Europe’s boat building at the moment…

Next speculation - Oracle is planning not to build in the US… the ‘Build in the country of origin’ Rule is probably the next chip away at the foundation of the Cup… Just you wait!

Hey - it was only a “Playful” swipe. :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually only the “Waterfront Property” was aimed your way - and also in humor. What happens to all the infrastructure built to support what they hoped would be a multi-year on-going program? I see same happening in San Fran - build now, and see what you can sell off later.

Actually I just thought “someone” would have posted - but then again it is in “MULTI HULLS” so that ain’t all bad. :wink:

In sincerity though - where do you wind up in the next couple of years? Do you stay there - move to U.S. and hook up with a different team, or are you associated with a builder that has “other” projects than an AC cupper?

Regardless - have a Happy New Year, and best regards Dick

No worries Dick, all is taken is good spirt… As you said, the point had to be made. Should have gotten round to it sooner.

The bases will stay as they are for the moment - The collective that runs them can viably charge a decent rent and the teams that are still using the space wish to remain there.

As for myself, I think that this is probably the best looking year for boat builders in a very, very long time.
In the short term I would be crazy to move on from here as there is so much happening, and of course I have spoken to Artemis which is the strongest challenge thus far.
Mr Bushe is my favorite builder to work with, but I have various contacts with the more ‘normal’ work.
The difficulty is - that shore crewing and the level that we play at is very addictive to me and I’ve tried going back to Super yacht work and it has felt pretty dull to be honest.
You really do miss being part of a team pulling toward the same goal.
As for the U.S. that would be a tough one to crack… There are a lot of Kiwi’s and Aussi’s in Oracle - they tend to look after their own and Europeans get pushed to the back of the line.
I am hoping that in the coming weeks things there will be some positive developments…

At the risk of seeing the “commoners” approaching with pitchforks and torches … anything going with the big French off-shore multihull syndicates, or are they pretty well set fo next year or two - and nothing new in the building works?

The French will employ only French… Look at Groupama!
They can build multi’s but, as for their ability as a serious threat to win the cup… That remains to be seen, I’d say not.
The in-house politics and inevitable squabbling will probably split the team and they will soon be off the pace.

Up to 16 teams expected, says Larry Ellison…hic hmm… must have been Xmas party slip of the tongue

:party::drunk::dunce::rasta::sing::tand:

Hi gang,

Been a while since I’ve been on.

I just want to add that I heard a rumor that there might be a Toronto contender, by the Eaton-backed A-classers. Don’t know the truth to it, but I heard it regardless.

That’s all the time I have here. Talk to yas later.

Hey Dick …is this a promise of what AC mutli racing will be really like !?

//youtu.be/xivNKFulYhU

I stumbled across this piece of info clearing up any doubt over the year SF will host the final…2013 has been re-confirmed in the press. http://kimballlivingston.com/?p=6047
Not sure if the link will work as I am on the iPhone…

New Gossip…

The Challenger of Record - Mascalzone might be replaced in the near future, as they have zero funding in place.

I cannot say by whom, this is considered sensitive info at this point in time.
Jim.

If the poodle pulls the pin (own admission) …who will be C.O.R ?

So, here is an update…

C.O.R. is now Artemis. (No surprise, see above.)

There is a rumour that the date will be pushed back 1 year… 2014 - This is real and will happen if Artemis remain as C.O.R.

The whole C.O.R. thing is being challenged by TNZ… They don’t have funding till 2014 - so are using dates/timezones that emails were sent as leverage…

Just to top it all off - only 2 teams have paid to enter since the deadline (Artemis & China) and one team has just managed to paid half (TNZ)… and Coutts is rushing around like a madman trying to save face!

Well, you know more than most others now… :wink:

The competitors for the 34th America’s Cup are (nation, team, yacht club)*:
China – China Team, Mei Fan Yacht Club
France – Aleph – Équipe De France, Aleph Yacht Club
France – Energy Team, Yacht Club de France
Italy – Venezia Challenge, Club Canottieri Roggero di Lauria
New Zealand – Emirates Team New Zealand, Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron
Republic of Korea – Team Korea, Sail Korea Yacht Club
Sweden – Artemis Racing, Kungliga Svenska Segel Sallskapet
United States – ORACLE Racing, Golden Gate Yacht Club, (Defender)

I guess Oracle are a bit out of pocket at the moment… and not the 15 or so entrants people were singing about… :wink:

Yup - but a heck of a lot more than the past one or two decades if they all show. I really thought the U.K. was going to participate, but economy has maded a few re-think.

Thanks for update.

Erm… 2007 had 9 challengers… So no mate not an improvement.

No entry from the Uk but the AC 45’s are doing an event there!

Ummmm - the “Unannounced one” (to be announced later in the month) would make nine - so we are both sort of correct. “If only” Australia and Canada … well too late now.

You see, this is another typical Oracle tactic to make the situation better sounding - They have included themselves in the list as “Defender”… So there are 7 confirmed “Challengers” Not 9 as in 2007 + 2003… 11 Challengers in 2000.

Awww - come on now - your original post listing the various syndicates said “competitors” to which I was responding - then you changed it to “challengers”. Unfair !

Here in the U.S. those words aren’t interchangeable and mean different things, ya know. :confused: :lol:

Cheers