Americas cup gossip

I just hope the race will be held on the San Francisco Bay so I may get a chance of seeing it! I’d prefer that they sail a monohull, but at last check the participants have yet to call me.

As I recall - so was the one between Dennis Conner and Michael Faye ! :rolleyes:

Another good data point for my dislike of multis. There’s more to sailing than speed. If all you want is speed, get a rocket.

You said it - I will just quote you … :wink:

and until you have sailed a multihull (they are unlike sailing a monohull) they provide everything a monohull can provide - PLUS speed. Sure, they handle differently, they sail differently, they are tuned differently, and the fact they take slightly longer to tack is made up by higher VMG. Last time I looked, ISAF didn’t have any Portsmouth numbers for “rockets” - and we are referring to RACING not sailing - right? You know - fastest to go around a closed course - or around the world - your choice. :smiley:

Cheers Nonbelievers

Signs of desperation :confused:

Dec 15: The protocol for the 34th Defense of the America’s Cup has been modified to lower some of the financial hurdles for entry.

The entry fee is now $100,000 USD instead of €1 million. The performance bond, designed to ensure an entered team participates and complies with other rules, has been reduced from $1.5 million USD to $200,000 and $800,000 at various deadlines.

The deadline the team’s face for building their first AC72 yacht is extended 3 months from December 31, 2011, to April 1, 2012. The restriction preventing teams from sharing design data has been pushed back by two months, to June 1, 2012.

http://www.americascup.com/2010/12/competitor-forum-inspires-rule-amendments/

Dec 23: Press Release: At the end of the year BMW will bring to a close its longstanding partnership with Oracle Racing and thereby end its involvement in the America’s Cup.

Ellison declined BMW’s offer…

Since the success of AC34 is largely under Larry Ellison, declining BMW sponsorship (if true) was an interesting move …sounds like the size of his balls matches the size of his wallet … pity his brain loses out as he shoots himself in the foot.

There are Teams out there trying to get sponsorship and they’re now confronted with the question … why has BMW pulled out ?.

Great way to sell the “new” AC as something worthwhile being involved with.

Things just progressively worsen, the Venue could be changed to Newport R.I. with an expected announcement directly after that the Cup be pushed back another year… Increasing costs further again… OUCH!

Here is the article that delves into the BMW/Oracle split…

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/yachting/news/article.cfm?c_id=106&objectid=10696585&ref=rss

Let’s take look at whats else coming up

KEY DATES
End Dec 2010 – venue announced …hmm !?
Early Jan 2011 - racing format announced …
Mid Jan 2011 - launch first AC45 … hmm !?
Feb 2011 – AC 45 available for testing by teams …hmm!?
March 2011 - Entries close on 31st … hmm !? (BMW announcement was badly timed)
April 2011 - Progress sea trials test race course, systems etc.
June 2011 - First AC 45 World series regatta Europe …hmm !?

Well Jim, lining up all the ducks in a row… looks like you could be right man !

It is the season for good wishes …it’s all yours to loose Larry !, you can’t win it … good luck :slight_smile:

Captain Sarno: This America’s Cup is very expensive; Shosholoza will not take part.

http://www.sail-world.com/Europe/Americas-Cup---Shosholoza-will-not-take-part/78477

Grant is about as close to the centre of earth it gets to when talking Americas Cup, typical kiwi chat that puts a smile on the dial :slight_smile:

It is a two part interview, select part 2 on right hand side …

http://www.radiolivesport.co.nz/Audio/Grant-Dalton-on-LiveSPORT-part-1/tabid/252/articleID/8163/cat/26/Default.aspx

The latest on valencia sailing… Quote - ‘We at Mascalzone Latino declare in all honesty that we are struggling to survive.’
Not exactly the kind of publicity the C.O.R. should be promoting really… Do these guys realise the responsibility they have and the image they are portraying to the wider public and sponsors? http://valenciasailing.com/demo/wordpress/2010/12/27/10876/

The economy went into the dumpster so I would image the sponsorships and ability to play in a high-stakes poker match are based on what money is “really” available !

If this keeps going the next America’s Cup is going to be sailed with Footies.
Don

HA! Or even better, they just drop the whole catamaran thing and just use the IACC 120 rules instead.

• Cheaper building costs
  • No crew to pay (just the skipper)
  • Best chance the USA has of winning the cup back (still not saying much)
  • Entry fee decreased to 1 case of beer per entrant
  • Design drawings are all free, courtesy of Claudio
  • “But honey, the next race is going to be in Valencia and everyone else will be there. I have to go!”
  • No lawyers allowed. Rather, all disagreements decided by a vote of all skippers or by a thumb-wrestling match.

Well with the reluctance of San Fran to host the event,for very valid in my opinion,reasons and RI looking shakey maybe Ellison and Coutts will get their wish and be able to announce a European venue without being accused of having no loyalty to USA.
Maybe,and its a big maybe,it will allow the holders of the cup to re asses the boat decision.Sure a quick fire ,short race format sounds exciting…but…Americas Cup it is not.:mad:
AC is as much about the tradition of the event as it is about technology.To the general public the sight of big powerful boats,sailing close together,moving vast amounts of water and crews of people not engines straining for every extra bit of speed or tactical advantage will be a bigger draw than a couple of catamarans sailing around a course and playing follow the leader,tacking as few times as possible and trying to go fast.We need to remember that as sailors we have a very different idea of what fast is.The last event saw two boats that are generally accepted as being very fast for a sail powered vessel,however my non sailing mates all commented on how slow it all seemed.They have small run about type family power boats that will run circles around both those boats without even breathing hard.:confused:
So lets forget about trying to promote a type of boat designed with only speed in mind.Lets get a design that promotes tactical attacks on the opposition.
Imagine a class of J boats built from the latest products and powered by people racing for the cup.
10 or 12 of these beasts bashing to windward,only a few boat lengths separating them as they sail under the golden gate bridge…now there is an event that would catch the imagination of sailor and non sailor alike.:smiley:

Sorry to disappoint - but here is one sailor who would find it all a big “yawn”.

Talk about the issues, opinions and often heard comments of the past - "yacht racing being like paint drying or grass growing’" So often overlooked in discussions about “racing”.

And as for your non-sailing friends ----- well, the fact they prefer power over sail really says a lot. In closing - if it isn’t for speed, then it really isn’t racing - more like cruising. Although that way the monohulls can enjoy the s-l-o-w-l-y passing scenery. [wink]

Regardless - cheers -

http://www.jclassyachts.com/velsheda/racing.html

If you think that this is boring…man…:rolleyes:
Not denying the big cat boats are special,just they do not suit the purpose.A close race between two slow boats,lets say 12 metres,will in my opinion hold the attention of more people than two boats miles apart.
The AC has become so far removed from the" average joe" sailor,and I refer more to its relevance to everyday sailing rather than the mountains of money involved.
New and modern technology employed in the construction and use of" majestic" rather than" futuristic" holds more appeal for me.Perhaps the “romance” the big cats don’t exude is what I miss the most.Boats that do face 90% of conditions the weather can throw at them are more realistic than the ones that are continually tied up to the wharf waiting for the optimum conditions.Probably more about the build, than the boat I guess.If the multis can go race like the twelves did in Freemantle,now that would be a sight to see:D

As for my power boat friends…I still haven’t heard the last of taunts like…“Without the motor that thing would not go anywhere”,I still haven’t found a retort that will stack up against that argument…DAMMIT.I keep wanting to say adding more crew to work the sails etc would make a difference,but I doubt in my own mind that the boats would be anything like they were if they had to carry 20 plus people to race.

I have nothing against big (or small) multi’s when suited to purpose.IDEC and the like are amazing creations,but they are not “round the buoys”,match racers.