Americas cup gossip

The Defender never used to race any of the challengers until after the “selection series”. That is where things get confusing…

Under America’s Cup protocol, teams are only allowed to sail their new AC 72’s for 30 days from the launch in July 2012 until Feb 2013. That is one month of sailing in a six month period.:confused:

Does anyone know the reasoning behind what seems like an bizarre ruling which appears to be in favour of the defender as the only team having previous larger multihull (72) experience …:rolleyes:

Cheers Alan

Hi Alan,

Let me check and i will get back to you…I am sure that the rule only applies to testing and is to manage the cost of the program… As I understand it - They have increased the importance of the AC 45 series and handicapped the AC 72 program.

Thanks Jim, by the specified time frame it certainly seems to be only applicable for AC 72 testing & development programs (July-Feb) if this restriction is to manage costs, maybe as insider you can give us rough idea how cost saving can be achieved with this restriction ?

With limited windows of time to the start of real AC match racing (Sept 2013) and time & cost playing around with AC 45’s concurrently, can imagine the pressure would be extremely high on all shore teams e.g designers & contructors etc. yet alone the rock stars who have to learn to sail & fine tune the 72 monsters on the water.

Cheers Alan

P.S One can buy knowledge but not experince !

(Jul 24) Italian team Venezia Challenge, representing Club Canottieri Roggero di Lauria, was deemed “excused” from further participation in the 2013 America’s Cup by regatta organizers. The team was apparently unable to meet event requirements.

Assumption :confused: (no reason given) …they ran out of money ?

(July 18) ETNZ has asked for mediation of issues regarding folding the team’s website, ETNZ Statement: Emirates Team New Zealand confirmed today they are seeking mediation in its dispute with the America’s Cup Event Authority (ACEA) over rules that restrict the team’s internet presence. Challengers are forbidden from having an independent America’s Cup presence on the internet. All America’s Cup content generated by individual teams is contained within the 34th America’s Cup web site.

lol lol :lol:… do you think ETNZ maybe also “excused” from AC 34 for not meeting event requirements ?

Was matter of money as reported in another forum!
ClaudioD

Expect China to be next…

Sailing Anarchy (www.sailinganarchy.com) had a great story about this and about the funding for them and China. Can’t link that story directly, but it’s from July 25th. Worth a read.

Alan- did you see ETNZ Grant Dalton’s interview from a few days ago? He talks all about the website issue and a ton of other stuff too. Check it out: http://www.justin.tv/onthewateranarchy/b/290741386

Thanks for that, interesting that GD implies only 3 teams will be in the cup … what’s that saying ? one is lonely, two is company and three is a crowd !

The only interesting thing about AC 34 so far is GD throwing grenades :lol: keep it up man !!!

Cheers :zbeer:

Out of 4 Italian sindicates, all decided that the game was too expensive, in spite of was told earlier, and sponsors are not willing to play . Better Open class for publicity.
Many others are thinking in the same way. This Cup is turning to be a disaster !!!
ClaudioD

I’m missing the point with this AC 45 WS, it is only draining funds from obviously cash strapped teams …shoot the pricks pushing AC 45 and get into AC 34 prep before all the money has gone ! …or is that Larry’s plan to keep the Cup ?

Did anyone watch the AC45 world series this weekend?

Not live, but watched day 2 on youtube. Very nice video, and lots of camera angles.

Yip keeping eye on it … great performance by Barker so far & Coutts well thats what happens when you get U.S passport uh :stuck_out_tongue:

I had a good chuckle when the first race was cancelled before the first mark. No matter how Coutts spins it, you still need some wind!

Greatest smile on the dial when Deano passed OR 4 with Larry on board in AC 45 fleet racing for first world series win … :cool:

It looks like I was wrong about team China.
They have secured some funding!
Not sure how much, but they are competing in Plymouth and planning to go to the States with the world series…

Mind you, China’s one of the few countries not in recession at the moment, so that may go some way to explain things.

Row

Here are the new videos from Plymouth, U.K. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/user/AmericasCup

Edward.

With all that money trown by the windows, I imaging how much will cost for the larger ones unless they will use much smaller sail or modifiyng the Wind force allowed to start sailing and probably some will abbandon before that event !

I think that the Monohull is not yet over for the AC !

ClaudioD