1:10 Scaled Class

i am not sure the J’s were quite that big… actually i think the biggest one ever was reliance… but that wasn’t a J still it was like 143’ long…

That’s why the class should be limited to boats of 100 feet or less. A scale model of a J- boat could be 15 feet long. A laser is 14 feet! You might need a crane to launch it. Any bigger, and you could put in a head, and a beer cooler. :smiley:

Dick, my friend comes home tuesday (today).
he just finished building the new hugo boss 60.
he should have a lot of photos and build detail with him.
if i get some info, i’ll pass it to ya. and everyone here of course.

thompson’s new boat? huh… poor guy, he’s had some bad luck… be nice for him to get a new boat tho! can’t wait to see the pics!

Not much doubt about yje crane. Scalws down to 1:10 160 tons max displacenent = 5.4 tons.

Angus!!
1:10 scale boats have 1/1000 the displacment of the original!

How do the rules look so far guys?

I’d hope that the base requirement for this Class could be reasonably simple and straight forward, I’ve included boats up to 100foot on the basis that RORC has set this Max LOA and the maximum for Category Racing.

J-boats should be allowed to participate under specific conditions, in that they are Scaled J-boats and are 1/10 in Scale.

Over to you.

HCW,

Looks good! thank you for your help on this…

Dick,

Thank you also for your efforts and assistance…

This is all very good.

Derusha

Anyone who maybe interested…we are building the molds now for the 60" Dubois designed. The actual boat is being sailed on the Great Lakes:boat name is Twister and has won her class in the Chicago-mac a few years ago.All detail will be on deck as she is a very super designed boat. I will send photo’s to any serious inquiry.FYI Derusha

IMHO I don’t think there should be any maximum size. If we allow J-boats then we should also allow boats like Mari-Cha IV. Anyone willing to build a boat that big and build it to look scale, deserves to have a place in the class. That just my .02.

Now on the light hearted size, if one were to build Mari-Cha it would def. end up looking like a remote controlled full size laser. Very cool, but it would need it’s own trailer and a loading dock to launch.

Nigel -

have been out searching and found a few photos of Hugo - and am hoping my plea to the company’s “contact” will result is some more - especially the deck hardware, location, etc. To me, that is where we will make or break the “scale” of the class. From a foot away, maybe not, but from 6 or 8 foot, perhaps.

HcW - I feel fairly confident that most of the issues are covered in your suggested rules list, and form at least a concensus basis for spending time and money building something of these sizes. Are you comfortable being the “class” registrar ? Not looking for anything except perhaps name/address/email, boat selected, sail number and perhaps date started/registered. If nothing more, this will begin a database of members, provide a discussion group on it’s own, and a place to share information and ideas. If this poses a time constraint on you, I could always fit it into my schedules here.

The start date will provide a window of build time, and if nothing develops it is easy just to delete the person from the list. If they want to stay on it - just provide photo support of your build and ideas used/tried and progress. Again, I don’t mind questions from folks considering a build in this class, but I don’t want to waste build time by replying to those who have no intention of building and simply like asking questions. Maybe a bit rigid on my part, but as with multihulls - I can spend a whole night responding to email questions.

If you think a registration fee is warranted, let me know and I’ll trust you to hold a few of my $$$$ to assure I am a serious potential participant. Ummmm - no using the money to fund a new TP52 model however ! :smiley: Maybe soemting to consider if we run into problems.

Dean and Millrtme - you guys too seem to be involved to some level - if you want to have the registrar position, contact HcW and work it out. Since the three of us are from the US, it looks like we are covered up here, and maybe one of us could be center of information collection to pass on the HcW if he decides to manage this class on a international basis.

Dick and HCW,

Only as a last resort will I handle this. Conflict of interest and all…
Thanks, Dean

A 1/10 J would, as noted, be almost big enough to sail in: about 12 feet LOA, 300 lbs, and 75 sq feet of sail. If you want to model a big boat, again as noted, Reliant is want you want. A model to the same scale would be about 16 1/2 feet from stern to tip of bowsprit, weight 350 lbs, and carry about 160 sq feet of sail – that is, before you set the spinnaker :slight_smile: An upper limit on prototype size does seem called for.

Cheers,

Earl

Dick,
I really and truly wish I could. Unfortunately I am going on my 8th day at my new job and keeping up with it after work wouldn’t nec. be timely if I am also going to be building a boat. I will offer assistance and sometime into the summer I will be alittle more steadfast in my position at work and can make the call if it is appropriate to be doing those types of things during work, but until then, let me know if you have menial tasks and I will do what I can. For now it is under wraps but I have chosen a 1:10 scale boat something slightly smaller, but very nice none the less.

Earl,

I think with respect to J-boats and anything in the “Massive” department I think we’d have to write into the Class Rules about “Historical” significance, that is we know that there are 1/10 th scale J-boats already built and sailing, however building Mega Yachts, I think most of us here would conceed that potential builders would be on their own there.

Millrtme, from my past experience with boat owners especially with respect to Sportsboats here in Oz, you need to give the punters a definative set of parameters to work by. Opening the ceiling with respect to Max LOA, I believe our Class could become a free for all. If someone is “Mad” enough to build a “Mega Yacht” then as with any approachable Organization they can apply to join, that at least would give the Class the option to provide dispensation for each request, it won’t be a given.

Dick,

Happy to help the class along in whatever way I can. Might be a prudent move to contact our French counterparts and inform them of the prospect of the potential 1/10 International Class.

With the French involved our fledgling Class might have already reached critical mass. Just a thought.

Also would it be too early to establish Classes within the Class to build, ie…Historical (J-boats, pre 1950 Boats) Retro (IOR Boats) and Modern (IMS, IRC etc…) Just thinking that this could be a cool way of developing the overall Class Genre.

HcW…

I’ll take on and handle the US side of things, then - and Canada too if there is any interest - at least for the time being.

I will also press my friendships a bit and see if I can convince a friend or two that speak French (and are sailors) to assist in at least getting to the right person over there - I think you may be correct in your assessment of numbers. Perhaps we may even see some class information or how they resolved our current issues and concerns.

I really like the idea of the sub-classes, and would venture a suggestion that the first boat for the class would be asked to at least handle registrations, and answer questions concerning that particular size. It would seem to improve chances of new owners if one can find an established “size” of class in which to build and sail.

With respect to the “J” and other significant sizes. I wasn’t comprehending their size until Earl posted and surely a maximum size is warranted. In any conversations however, I still would offer to accept someone with a huge boat if nothing more than to provide a sense of membership with others interested in large scale and the particular design. Can we agree to address the issue if/when it presents itself?

Dean - I know you have a business that will perhaps see additional interest if thiis size class idea takes hold, but it might be a great technical post to list some the hardware and it’s respective sizes. Something on the order of a standard winch (or a specific numbered winch) and what the diameter and height might be. That might prove helpful in identifying deck space needed. Also diameter of wheel if wheel steering is applicable, or tiller length. I think some of these dimensions will be hard to come by, and trying to scale from photos might also be quite a challenge. As an example, for the Open boat’s radar domes - what is size of sphere (either real or scaled) and how high off the deck does it sit? Horseshoe preserver and approximate size, height of stancions and bow/stern pulpits, etc. All of these I see as coming questions so would be great is we could build a database for easy reference. I know we won’t get all of the dimensions (or all of them right) but having a range will help a builder identify size and choose his materials accordingly. If you can help here it would be wonderful.

A final thought and one without an answer at the moment - duplicate boats are bound to be built - especially in small classes (not size) like the AC cup classes. Say everyone built Prada - how to tell them apart if the all look alike and have the same paint and sail number? Just a thought if I happen to hit a point where we have two ECOVER, OCEAN PLANET (or whatever) Any suggestions here appreciated.

Certainly it shows promise and the true magnitude won’t be apparent for most of us until we start cutting station templates, or attaching them at proper spacing on a building boad. :watching2

Good point Dick, I’ll brainstorm and see what I can think of.

Funny you mention building board, I went out and bought a 3/4x3/4x48" pine stick today along with a 1/2"x12"x72" laminated fiber board shelf which hopefully will be robust enough to last for several builds although at $10 you can’t beat it. Talked to Welasercut.com the other day and my shadows should be here by the end of the week and I can finally post pictures (of the TP52 that is), still working on tying down the designer to pass along some drawings for my 1:10 project.

Dick, with respect to duplicated boats, if someone wishes to build a certain boat that may or may not be a duplication as an organised Class it might be appropriate to forward your intensions prior to commencement of building, that way we’d know what is already built and what is in the process of.

I say this as an integral part of the Class is the build itself and I’m sure the process would be greatly received by other like minded Class members.

With respect to AC Duplication’s, there were a number of boats built for each team for each Challenge, if you’re a member of a 1/10 Class we could issue respective sail Numbers on receipt of a commencement to build request, which would mean you could possibly have infinite duplications. I’m also pretty sure ECover or Earth Planet might kick in some $$$ if there is 3-4 or 5 Mini Bill boards sailing around.

Sail numbers from registration because of the International flavour may also provide the limited prospect of 2 identical boats fronting the same Regatta as they won’t have the same Sail numbers.

I’d certainly wouldn’t want the Class Organization to be the “Fun Police” however if we know what is being built or is already built, then we can better assist potential Class members to become part of the Class with a boat that is unique to the Class because of its Registered Class Sail Number.

I guess the first thing to do if there is general concensus as to the basic Class Rules is Register your proposed or already built 1/10 Scale boat.

Eg.

“Wildcard” type SLR 1200, (Sub Class) Modern, scale 1/10.

And add a photo. I(International) / 110 (Scale)…Sail Number 1101

You lot with me?

in scaling down these raceboats, do we have to scale down their paint jobs aswell? can we have our own paint jobs on a scaled hull, like a “tide” AC, or a “durex” open 60? this might keep duplicate colours from apearing.

Why not, after all it’s the boat and its design that’s to be registered not necessarily the paint job.

Durex ??? :lol: :lol: :stuck_out_tongue: