Winter sailing in Wisconsin

How the heck did cars get into this snow sailing thread? :cool:

I saw a photo of ā€˜Tinkā€™ in the snow over at the yahoo placeā€¦ would the woner like to add it here if he is watching?

wow, this did turn into a total threadjackā€¦:pirate: sorry grahamā€¦:blush:

Lolā€¦ thatā€™s ok Barrett, I was watching closely enough to see that Bill H. started it :lol: ā€¦ Or maybe I didā€¦ mentioning the tri-oval, oh well itā€™s all fun anyway.

Ok, in an effort to get this thread back ā€œon trackā€, hereā€™s a pics of some REAL winter sailing in Wisconsin, taken today on Lake Geneva (site of the 2008 Northwest Ice Yacht Regatta). Ongoing coverage of the event can be seen at http://www.iceboat.org/season/07-08/niya/index.html#page_top The lady in the 3rd pic is Jane Pegel who has been racing DNs since the 1950s. Pix 4 & 5 are from a windless Friday. Little wind around here on Saturday as well. Theyā€™re desperate to get the regatta ā€œinā€ (mininum 3 races for each class), so will be starting at 8am on Sunday Photo credits: Deb Whitehorse

I guess it is time I learned how to post to this forum and stop being a lurker. I will try to post the photo of Tink climbing a snow wave.

Bill: Looks like good clear ice down in Madison. We have too much snow on the ice right now.

Greg,
Welcome to rcsailing.net! Your Kittiwake looks great. I wonder what it would look like surfing down the big yellow ā€œwaveā€ seen in the background. Since youā€™re not that far away, perhaps youā€™ll consider attending the regatta in Sheboygan in May?
BTW, the ice photos are from Lake Geneva, which is about 80 miles southeast of Madison. Weā€™re all snowed in with about 18" on the ground, having had a total of over 80" for the season (Iā€™m sure the U.P. has had even more).
Bill

Thanks Bill. This is my first RC model and I had a great time building her. I plan on building another one from scratch (I have two daughters - one for each. Maybe I will need to make a third for myself?), and I am making a simple lug rig for Tink.

I am going to try to make it to the Sheboygan regatta in May. I am new to RC sailboat racing but it sounds like fun. Hopefully the ice clears off of Little Bay de Noc before May so I can give the boat a shakedown cruise, practice, and tune up the rigs before the regatta.

Make sure you take the kids to Sheboygan. Footys need better eyesight and faster reactions than any other model yacht class - so kids have a built-in advantage. Cameron Vice, one of the top UK Footy sailors is 8 or 9. :graduate:

I hope to bring my 11 year old daughter. She is becoming a decent sailor with her 8 foot sailing pram (an old wood El Torro). If I donā€™t have a second boat maybe she can sail Tink and I can be the tactician. Hopefully she does not have a track meet that weekend.

Angus: Moonshadow looks great in the photos from the Big Toephy event. How did she handle the strong breeze and chop? Was her light weight a handicap when tacking in the chop? She must have flew on the downwind legs.

Put it this way. We we decided what the new boat for Liverpool would be like, evryone voted for narrower and lighter. Reembe that he shape of he bow has been worked out very carefully.

Hi Greg, we look forward to meeting you both here at the Sheboygan Footy Fest. We intend to run a good fun, low key day so donā€™t worry about this being your first event. Times etc. are on the NOR available at http://www.scalesailing.com/samyc.htm

To enter please let me know the details mentioned on the NOR, particularly your frequency plus one other if you can. There is a thread here for the regatta, Iā€™ll go bump it.

Graham