trimaran plans?

got the emails thanks…I look forward to plotting on large format printer in actual size and pondering the build…No guarantees though…

Free selfbuildingplan No.73 of the “Nightmare Mk.VII” has been sent out to Australia today to a professional multihullboatbuilder - still 27 planrequests are needed to reach a full 100.
Who is next? ernst.zemann@gmx.net

By now 86 free selfbuildingplans of the “Nightmare Mk.VII” have been sent out - the last one to Ireland. -

And the first “Nightmare Mk.VIII”-pics have reached me from Thailand!
Weight 2.05 kgs as it is on the pics - not bad for a foam/glass-build, which was only started 2 weeks ago!

Homepage of this professional rc-sailingboatbuilder is: www.rcsails.com
Rumors of Mini40-trimaran-kits for 555,- Us-Dollars.

Picture 4 shows the “old” Mk.VII float, 5 + 6 the latest Mk.VIII as built by Phanchita.

My Nightmare MKVIII build is done and has hit the waters.

Some videoclips are here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDJ33_-D2Z0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kso1Z8PsD7E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69MHub37Jzc

Happy sailing
Phanchita

Some 3D-drawings of the previous Mk.VII

Hello Dennis,
no problem to send you the plans.

Congratulations, you got sailnumber 100!
And you are also “Number One” for Belgium.

Good luck for the building.
All planupdates will reach you in a second mail.

Kind regards,
Ernst

Hello everyone

It’s me, the long lost Raphael, and I’ve still got Ernst’s boat. It’s real. I happened upon this forum when I googled myself.

I doubt it will help anything, but, yes, I did get the boat. In my dealings with Ernst he was nothing but wonderful. And thats not to say I want to enter this conversation, thats simply my experience.

The other reason I’m post - there’s always another reason - is that sure enough I did go to university, and I haven’t sailed the boat since. I’m going to graduate school now, and I’m thinking it’s possibly the time to sell this boat. Please, Ernst, take no offense to this, I’ve enjoyed the boat tremendously, but with all of the moving and traveling I’m doing these days it’s just not possible. Anyway, it’s a fiberglass 2M trimaran, obviously of Ernst Zemann design and construction. It’s obviously a very specialized market. Is it even possible to sell these things? If anyone is interested, it could be a great way to get going with a ready built 2 meter, very close to working condition.

Hello everyone

It’s me, the long lost Raphael, and I’ve still got Ernst’s boat. It’s real. I happened upon this forum when I googled myself.

I doubt it will help anything, but, yes, I did get the boat. In my dealings with Ernst he was nothing but wonderful. And thats not to say I want to enter this conversation, thats simply my experience.

The other reason I’m post - there’s always another reason - is that sure enough I did go to university, and I haven’t sailed the boat since. I’m going to graduate school now, and I’m thinking it’s possibly the time to sell this boat. Please, Ernst, take no offense to this, I’ve enjoyed the boat tremendously, but with all of the moving and traveling I’m doing these days it’s just not possible. Anyway, it’s a fiberglass 2M trimaran, obviously of Ernst Zemann design and construction. It’s obviously a very specialized market. Is it even possible to sell these things? If anyone is interested, it could be a great way to get going with a ready built 2 meter, very close to working condition.

I have just read thru this thread and have to say I am disgusted…I joined this Rc site so I could learn and share some experiences of RC yacht building.

I owe a debt of gratitude to Dick and Ernst, over many years they have given great advice freely and warmly.

Indeed, only a few months ago I expressed my thanks to them collectively on the first post on my Mini 40 build log.

This is not the first time I have seen a post starter looking for sound advice on multi ownership that has degenerated into a slugging match.

Ernst, shame on you for hiding behind a wheelchair bound novice Hungarian …what the hell is that all about??.If you want to defend yourself do it in the first person and stay true to your word.

Gary

Dick,

Shame on you, I always believed a moderator on a site such as RC sailing should be a respected member of our community.Especially as newbies will look to you for sound judgement and advice.

First of all, when replying intially to this threads post starter you mentioned as an after thought and its easy to interpret as “unwillingly” Ernst’s nightmare design. Then you proceded to run down his design, well maybe you have an axe to grind with Ernst but…

You have seriously slandered Ernst on what is now obviously unsubstantiated heresay. Your post above clearly states Ernst as not living up to his promise of suppying a yacht to a Website designer, and therefore casting him as a dishonest cheat…and what do you know…up pops the person who received a 2mt trimaran from Ernst some years ago.

You owe Ernst a large apology, i am afraid every statement you made about Ernst’s business dealings is completely discredited as are you. It is clear the only people who know the truth are the people involved directly. Clearly you are not one of these people.

Maybe Ernst made some bad deals , maybe he didn’t…I do not care and I have no alliances. I, as do most, just want to share ideas and builds, not political posturing. As much as I respect and enjoy your sharing of knowledge, I feel that unless you immediately learn to remain politically neutral and write a full retraction on your slander of Ernst, you should be removed as moderator of this forum.

Ernst is very actively offering advice to self builders as are you Dick…Ernst is asking nothing for his designs or knowledge as are you Dick…Ersnt has built many multihulls, as have you Dick.

You are both valuable members of our hobby, please build a bridge…

I emphasize I have no alliances…sure I am building a self modified version of Ernst’s nightmare Trimaran…I am under no illusions…maybe it will suck…maybe it will clean up at every event…maybe I will build a design of your’s Dick…you kindly supplied me plans for a R65 recently…who knows??.

Gary

Gary, what value is there in bringing all this up again, it’s history and I don’t understand the need to scratch at old wounds unless you have some agenda. It is just as easy to be critical of Ernst for misleading members of this forum by pretending to be someone other than himself.

Every story has two sides and this one seems to have been worked though and the parties seem to have settled to a state of being accepting differences - I’m not sure they’ll ever be friends but life goes on.

Ray

Nautibuoy, anyone reading this active thread through for the first time as I did tonite will be left with a bad feeling about the ethics of Ernst,The bulk of this thread has been filled with references to dishonest conduct.

Ernst did himself no favours at all by posing as a wheelchair bound Hungarian and my only two posting on this thread points this out clearly.

My only agenda is to point out the obvious very public slander in which some true facts have become very apparent recently …its just not right.

Sure they may never be friends, thats a damn shame.

What would like to see is this thread completely deleted and have everybody look forward to the future.

I will mention this no more.

Rapheal, if you are still out there…there is a steady stream of folks out there looking to buy a rtr rc multihull, apart from the size/ freight problems…you should find a buyer relatively easy.If you would like , post a few pics of your multi and I will spread the word amongst a few Multi RC forums about a tri up for sale. What are you asking for it $$ ??. On second thoughts, maybe you should be heading to the classified sections of the sites, not sure about the rules here.??.

Gary

Gary -
as noted by Nautibuoy (Ray) the posts go back some time - and what I posted (in my opinion) requires no apologies. It appears (to me) that both Ernst and I are mutually promoting multihulls - and not “shooting” at each other any longer. As long as you are looking at history - when (other than just recently) did Raphael post? He wasn’t heard from since 2002 or maybe 2003. Do you honestly just “suppose” that without any posts since that time to “any” of the multihull forums, I was out of line posting: To my knowledge the website appeared, but the boat didn’t.” My emphasis is added. Also, doesn’t it just seem a bit odd that Ernst (at the time of my post that you quote) didn’t refute my post with a correction? That too is odd (at least to me).

Unfortunately, you come too late to the party, and aren’t aware of the history in full. Not sure if Chad still has those emails archived, but as the owner of the site, he could well confirm the posts from various “buyers” looking for their product. Hopefully he won’t need to, as it again, just opens the wounds that I am hoping remain healed - to some degree. No, Ernst won’t be my “best” friend - but I will acknowledge his work to get the ideas of multihulls in front of r/c sailors. Once the issue of tearing down others to promote an unproven (race) design ended, and Ernst began promoting the type of boat and not the type of design - there have been no flair-ups, and we both seem to want to make a multihull design of “any” size more popular. At this time, we are both in agreement that to improve the concept, boats have to be on the water. Doesn’t matter what size - 1.2, 1, or .65 meter - it’s just they have to show up, sail and if possible compete in a sanctioned race to demonstrate their abilities. Doesn’t really matter who wins - at least not until the classes are more active.

You also need to come to the realization (and understanding) that Ernst has given out a claimed 100+ drawing sets. I have answered too many emails to keep count, and have sold hard copies of trimaran plans, as well as pointing people to on-line free versions (that they must find a printer to output). All of these many and varied people are mostly “talkers” - not do-ers. I have kept my emails for multihull plan requests, and since 2001 I have sent out, or responded to, 285 requests. So - since 2001, where are “any” of these boats that people were so hot to get? Many just don’t realize the size until they start building. Even my free 1 Meter plans out since around 2006 haven’t generated any other builds that have posted back to any of the forums with completed boat photos.

THIS is what Ernst and I are trying to do - and while I grant you we’ve bumped heads in the past, we really are working together for the benefit of the type of boat we both like. Please keep in mind that buyers were emailing me, complaining their $1,000 + money didn’t result in a 3-4 week shipment. That is what started all of this, and I think Ernst has acknowledged that he quit building, because of high cost, high freight, and lack of buyer commitment where multiple boats could be shipped together. Thus, he has focused on design and plans, and together we encourage others to build and enjoy. Siri is the “key” to whether a multihull becomes a decent sailing kit - or parts only, as he seems to want to step in and provide the “production” everyone wants. The question still remains - is a budget of $600 - $800 for a large multihull out of the range of some? Probably. Heck, even Doug Lord sold a few of his foilers and those were upwards of $1800 - $2000 back in early 2000 but they never generated an active class - too expensive and too big. Thus, if Siri can get a production 65cm trimaran ready for sale, it might prove to win over the people with it’s (proposed) low dollars and it’s small size.

Not sure where you live - but keep in mind, the TRIDENT class was an AMYA class - but it died due to lack of interest, and I’m not sure if it was well designed. At least Siri’s and Ernst’s efforts for a 65cm design is a hell of a lot better than anything presently being marketed on a production basis. Just hope he can pull it off.

I was going to offer to provide you, off-line, names of some who can verify the history issues - but to what good would it do? We need to move forward and promote multihulls - so in closing, I will not be drawn backward in time any further, and I really do understand you views of the past history and how if “may look” - but it is “past” history and both Ernst and I are trying to focus looking forward. Hopefully you will join us.

Hopefully Ernst will agree we are on to a more focused effort of promoting multihulls, and have put many of these issues to bed.

Dear Raphael,
what a nice surprise to hear of you!
I´m very pleased to hear you are about to graduate at University.

Of course there Is a market for your BIG rc-trimaran.
Please post some pics, how much you would like to get for it and where it is located right now - so possible prospects have a chance to get interested.

Ernst Zemann/Vienna

Raphael -

I may have an interested buyer here in the Minneapolis area. As Ernst suggested - post some photos, post a "suggested cost, and post what is (or isn’t) included. I will provide him a copy of the photos/post. Be sure to leave an email on how he can get in touch with you if you want to sell.

Dick

I agree!
Lets forget the past, lets have peace here and -
lets promote the fun of sailing rc-multihulls together.

I have learned a lot during these past 9 years, Dick Lemke as well -
and the more join in here, the more fun we´ll have.

(And by the way,Gary - allthough I´m NOT sitting in a wheelchair, I am actually physically disabled in three different ways
and can´t work regularly any more, but who cares - I love rc-trimarans/multihulls.)
Let´s end off this old stuff here.

Ernst Zemann aka Idealist aka Disabled

OK, Got the feel good thing going on now, I was pretty angry last night as I felt the two people who inspire me were letting the team down.

I am very happy everybody is co-operating.

Dick, you as I do, wonder at what price buyers will say this Multi is affordable…but the thing that strikes me is that a competitive 1 mt mono is over two K new (I think), and there are hundreds or maybe thousands of these racing around the world.

Gary.

Yup Gary -

and as Ernst has hinted - you also may have hit the nail directly on the head when you posted … [i]"there are hundreds or maybe thousands of these /i racing around the world."

This is the issue - getting people interested in spending even $900 on a boat where there is a minimum class size world-wide.

The IOM was originally sold to owners as a home-built class boat, that had enough rules to prevent them from becoming an “arms race” like the then popular Marblehead (50/800). Even a US1Meter can be built and be competitive - but it takes a good home builder and an even better skipper to be at the top of the heap. A multihull is just two or three hulls instead of one, but that translates into at least twice the building effort for a cat. It won’t cost twice as much, but somewhere tooling costs must be recovered. Those can be expensive. “My” cost for a 5 axis CNC to build four solid plugs - two top, two bottom (one main hull, the other for floats) is roughly $400 which can be recoved easily if I could sell 6 boats. If I can only sell two - well costs go up.

So what do we do - Ernst and I have given away our own designs - or pointed people to at least two other free designs. Some builders won’t spend the $13.00 for a set of plans for goodness sake either. Yet few are actually built - free or inexpensive plans don’t seem to make a difference. SHort of giving away the hull set - there still would be gripes …“What about the cross beams?” “Where’s the rudder and keel/board?” “You didn’t send me the mast, sails, winch, servo, radio gear, etc.” Even if we did, many lack any interest in “building” (or assembly) so I’m really not sure if a trimaran RTS for $600 were available to be shipped would make an impact.

If you got into the IOM at the start, your old boat could nearly pay for a new one - but to get into it now - WOW - sticker shock for some. Perhaps thay shouldn’t play in this hobby? The ego prevents a possible used boat, the time prevents a build/assembly, the lack of boat numbers hinders initial sales, … so what do we do?

If any one has ideas, this is about the point in time to step forward - or it will be 2000-2004 all over again. Many talking - few doing! :confused:

ADDED:
:graduate: Hmmmm - maybe Ernst and I should charge $50 for a set of “free plans”. Send us a photo of the completed boat - we refund you cost for the plans. :smiley: That probably wouldn’t work either.

1 Like

Dreamwakes and Dick L.

My own considerations are simply this:
To make a living from building/selling rc-trimarans, THIS is needed:
1000,- Euro for life expenses including workshop rent/month
400,- Euro materialcosts/month -> makes 1400,- Euros overall.

I don´t care, if I build ONE or TWO Mini40 Trimarans/month -> 12 - 24/year.

Or if Sirit builds 4 - 8 RT65 Tris/month -> 48 -96 /year.

But a steady stream of orders in MANDATORY for that!

We need an organized information/distribution/advertisement/sales-concept for that.
For example:
Dick Lemke for the USA
TBK for Canada
Dreamwakes (Gary) for Australia and New Zealand
Me (Ernst) for Europe
Sirit for Far East

• or something like that.

I also wouldn´t mind to have one of Sirits, Garys or TBK´s Trimarans here at Vienna for sale and demonstrations.

Just my 5 cents

Hi Dick, thank you for the explanation on the IOM scene…my knowledge of this class is very limited…If I read you correctly, the IOM class began life as an accessible, relatively economical way into RC yacht racing but it now costs have ballooned and new participants are on the decline??, I was guessing at 2K for a IOM setup, what is an accurate figure in USD??.

So what to do to grow interest and investment in this Multi classes??, I intend to get a few boats on the water, post a few pics and help others build their boats…Thats all any of us can do.

Ernst, I never set out to build a business on selling Mini 40’s,

I have been in and out of the laminating business enough times to have a realistic view of the feasibilty of generating enough clients to warrant a full time income from this hobby.

Granted, if you had say a range of 10 different styles of rc boats you might keep busy and turn a profit. My opinion,(and one of the foremost reasons these various rc forums exist), is that the majority of sailors want to build their own boats. This may not be cheaper for them in the long run (than buying a RTR) but it does enable them to spread the costs over a long period. Most of us have to sneak this stuff through the front door in small pieces.

That I build female moulds rather than one off hulls is purely because I truly enjoy the challenge of plug building/ mouding/ composite techniques.

If I could get a return on my time I would do it but building two for myself is one thing…If building for others, its gotta pay. Having said that, I have a sailmaker wanting to trade suits of sails for hulls…that’ll work for now.

By the way…just posted a build update.

Cheers

Gary