The "T-Rig" is Coming for Footys

I have to say I was really impressed with Franks T rig. It is definitely a design advance that will be swinging from the decks of a lot of Footys.
Great job Frank and good job at the FFF IV final regatta.

Butch

Frank we are brethern. I’m a gator as well. class of 95… so help a brother out…

Although after my successful test of the delta rig. and the skinny v-12, I think I’ll go out on a limb with that rig if I come to the NCR

Final results of FFF4,4 are now posted on Titusville SandPoint MSC & Tanglewood MYC. sites.

Report & photos at: www.tanglewoodmyc.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=118:fff44-results-sailing-with-the-sharks&catid=37:footy&Itemid=100

My “T-Rig” preformed well.

Ok now that it is out…Let’s see some specs …please!!!

pretty bad reporting no pics of the event of than the “schlubs” getting their trophies…:slight_smile:

I have sent in my reg for the NCR so Walter an I are coming down…but I’ll probably race my tried and true express with the sloop rig…I’ll still bring the delta though for S and G’s

Hey Frank,
Great sailing with you and the Tanglewood group at FFFIV Saturday!
I have to say that the “T-Rig” is quite ingenious and should be patented! With advancements like this in the Footy world we should really start to see serious competition.
It should be kept a well guarded secret until the NCR for sure! See you there.
George
a.k.a. Geronimo

One of the great things about the footy class has always been the open exchange of new ideas and designs. Things like patents and such will do nothing to advance the class. Keep it a secret someone will invent a new rig and share it openly anyway. Besides
having a better rig or better boat wont make you a better sailor.

The class has developed very quickly and has come a long way. There is nothing wrong with protecting your designs rights. It pushes others to development their own ideas. There are no free lunches when you are shooting for #1!

I guess if your whole life revolves around competion and being #1 then have at it I sail for fun and I build my own boats so could care less about your shark. By the way if it really is that good that no one can beat it it wont be long before your sailing alone anyway. Besides only the rich can afford to travel all over the country for a footy race so you really dont know if your really the fastest. there may be one of us poor guys out there with a better design we just can’t travel to prove it.
P.S. Cats really dont belong in a monohull class if you want a multihull footy it should be in a subset of the footy class let monos compete against monos and multi against multi. Everyone knows cats are faster then monos. So what are you really proving anyway.

Byron. I am sorry we made you so upset. Skippers win races, the boats are mearly our medium for expression.

The “T-Rig” will be at the Nationals for alll that come to see.

The whole purpose of this discussion is to generate interest and hype these events and get more skippers to show up. It seems to be working. Thanks for all the comments.

Wait till you see how simple it is. Think A. B. R. Hummm, What does that stand for? Could that be a hint?

A Bums Rush…
A$$ Backwards Reason
A Beautiful Rig
Angry Bastard Religion
Agreement for Boat Repair

Nah nothing comes to mind…

Hi Marc and Others

Information on the “T-Rig” is now available on the www.tanglewoodmyc.com site. Click on the “Footy” header and select the bottom “T-Rig” link. One of the skippers at the TWMYC FFF4.4 regatta on February 20th asked if I would build one for him and so I needed to document if for him. Thus, it was decided to release the information sooner. It will make you wonder why you didn’t think of it yourself. It is simple, so please don’t laugh at it. It will be interesting to see if others use them at the Nationals coming soon.

A BROKEN RIG

which is what we all will do to yours when we see it and how simple it is…

Aloft Boom Rig

Think of your sail as an inverted main or jib. Puts the largest part of sail at the top of the mast to catch more high level air. Man if its what I think it is the mans a genius.

A while back (quite a while perhaps) I had posted a suggestion of trimming the jib at two (2) locations instead of only one (the jib sheet). A bit of back and forth discussion but no one tried it, although “concept” seemed to indicate it might work.

As I recall - Consider …

One jib sheet line from servo goes to the jib to control in/out of the clew location relative to the centerline of the boat.
The second sheet, also from the servo arm controls the location of the tack of the jib, relative to deck (high or low).

For windward work, both lines are inhauled and the jib looks normal - but when sheeted out for downwind sailing, the tack is allowed to raise up and the clew swings out. Depending on amount of line adjusting tack height from deck, it would be possible that the entire foot of the jib could be well above deck height and “almost” look like a small (triangular) spinnaker. A separate forestay would be required to assure rig tension, but if the bottom (foot) of the jib were at right angles to the centerline of the boat (think wing-n-wing) BUT perhaps several inches higher than normal above the deck, the fullness would assist in helping keep the bow up on a downwind leg, much like a standard spinnaker.

Now I have no idea if this is Frank’s concept, but the last post reminded me of trying to use the jib to help keep the bow up downwind. One would need to work out the ability to have two lines of different lengths from same servo, but that might be possible using some sort of a cam-shaped arm - allowing one line to be longer than the other.

It was a thought way back then, and perhaps it was discarded because of lack of space under the deck. Not sure - but something to fool with for those who “tinker”.

Asymetrically Balanced Rig

that has a nice sound to it.

[QUOTE=Dick Lemke;56360]A while back (quite a while perhaps) I had posted a suggestion of trimming the jib at two (2) locations instead of only one (the jib sheet). A bit of back and forth discussion but no one tried it, although “concept” seemed to indicate it might work.

As I recall - Consider …

One jib sheet line from servo goes to the jib to control in/out of the clew location relative to the centerline of the boat.
The second sheet, also from the servo arm controls the location of the tack of the jib, relative to deck (high or low).

Dick,

I have looked at several implementations of this idea. It probably works, but it requires a very powerfull winch (heavy), because the jib tack line has a lot of force on it, and also requires a fairly large amount of movement. You may also have seen my “keel-forward” scheme, in a separate thread, which tried to reduce nose-diving, but didn’t quite work.

Hi Walt - always fun to think, dream and try. I understand the longer line length/movement, but not sure why the tack would have any more tension than the clew/boom sheet? The tack line ( in reality the boom to deck attachment replacement) would have less tension other than a halyard uphaul to remove jib leading edge wrinkles, since a “real” forestay would replace the one normally doing double-duty used in the leading edge of the jib.

The jib leading edge is merely kept tight - and doesn’t have any tension on the mast. Of course we are speaking traditional jib/main combination - not some of the uni-rig ideas being used. Since these are so small, peraps I can play with the idea on one of my RG-65’s. At 25-1/2 inches there is a bit more room for experimentation. Right now I am working on a solid wing for a 65cm multihull/monohull experiment.