scow footy??

attached is a first sketch of a possible scow type hull as a Footy.
comments on this concept anyone??
should be easy to build,have good sail carrying power,and just may have a bit of get up and go downwind?

Interesting.

Wonder about windward performance in a chop: never heard of a ballasted scow. The inertia of the long fin might make it slam horribly.

Tunnel bottom? Semi-tunnel bottom?

A.

PS This is serious. The other business abput rule clarification is pure parlour game phantasy.

The International moths I sailed years ago were semi tunnel hulls,so was thinking along those lines.
This type of hull form(without tunnel hulls) has been seen in the IOM and M class before,so ballasted scows have been done before.

Yeah - I thought the shape looked vaguely familiar Only remembered the cow moths after I’d posted.

Q: Didn’t the scow moths need a awful lot of wind to make them go? Seem to remember that i Europe Duflos type saucer’ moths were more successful.

A.

Quite often there is an awful lot of wind for a footy:)
yes light air was certainly not the strong point…leaning the hull over on the chine to reduce wetted surface was the done thing in light air,of course not possible with a simple 2 channel r/c boat

Intersting cincidence. My equivalent thoughts - which are very much conditional on the view that stupid Kiwis don’t know how to save weight - :slight_smile: are at least partly inspired by a saucer Moth. One diffiulty is that the saucer moth was a VERY tricky bicycle to ride.

A.

Today’s Scow race. They race C-Scows, Geary 18, and MC Scows every weekend. Nice to watch each weekend, takes about an hour for the fleet to go by. I just hate my view:D :smiley: :smiley:
Bob

I dunno, Brett…even if it turned out to be fast, I’d still have a hard time building a scow. They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and this beholder just doesn’t find them beautiful.

No offence to those who like them, but I’m speculating that when the first one showed up on the planet, somebody said “that’s a cow of a boat!” Then over the years, “that’s a cow” got shortened to “scow.”

Or maybe I’ve just been reading too many posts from Angus! :smiley: :smiley:

Bill H

Now now Bill, I think you’re coming to a hasty conclusion. Witness the attached photos from my local sailing club. Photo Credit Tim Stanton.

if ya build it, ya gonna sail it. Everyone take a look:
http://www.sailingtexas.com/cboats99melges.html

http://www.ascow.org/

Well, Bill, perhaps I was a bit hasty!

I’m going to be in Madison on business next week. Maybe I could get a first-hand look at those scows…then I could make a more considered decision.

Can I join your sailing club??

How’s that second pick contributing to your fantasies, Dick??

Bill H

Bill -

when I had the catamaran up on Bald Eagle Lake, we used the scows to measure our speed. They usually started 15 minues ahead, and object of the cats was to try and catch them before the end of the race. Sometimes Yes,…sometimes No!

My fantasy ? A week in Toronto watching the C Class cats compete - with maybe a ride after the event on Patient Lady renamed ??? - belongs to one of our very own (Magnus) who will be racing there.

Hello…

Scows evolved to be sailed on their sides providing an even canoe like waterline and low wetted surface with enough beam to allow crew weight to move to the high side…

Apart from commercial scows that were usually heavily ballasted out with bricks or hay or vegetables for the Campbells factory - the modern racing scow is unballasted and relies on crew weight and is only truly effective and fast when sailed heeled…

So ‘I think’ a scow Footy would not benefit much as it is heavily ballasted - my thoughts seem to lean to low wetted surface and a very broad displacement curve - lots of forward bouyancy - but remember there is of yet no rule that outlaws twin asymetrical keels…

Hmm - twin keels - same ballast to weight ratio - but a lower profile ‘in the box’ and thus taller rigs…

Perhaps you should have a look at some of the older European International Moth Class scows…

Perhaps I can scan some up too…

I digress…

SH

Try it…

Just to clarify there Sean the height of the #1, ‘A’ rig or whatever is not measured, so isn’t dependant on the hull position in the box. Only the ‘B’ rig has a restriction on sail/rig height of 305mm above the top of the box, so in that case a lower hull would allow a larger ‘B’ rig.

Fascinating topic Sean…

Graham

And remember that while we are mostly playing with the Internet course, the B rig rule is totally irrelevant.

Wind blows up, stop the event. Change rigs to wjatever you like. Next event.

A

Hello…

I have no idea what you are talking about - so what is this Internet Course - why is there a limit to the A rig…

Please explain briefly…

Cheers…

SH.

There is no limit on the primary, or “A” rig. The second, or “B” rig must extend no more than 305 mm (12") above the measurement box.

Learn more about internet footy racing here:
http://footy.rcsailing.net/racing.php

–Doug

The rule is that the smaller rig has to be less than 305 mm above the box. Sounds simple, but it needs some more explanation. Most people I know that sail only have 1 rig for any class boat, is it assumed that people with Footies will have multiple rigs?

There is no specified limit to an A rig, but there is a practical one.

Is this some kind of Joke Tomo??
If you want to sail any r/c yacht in all conditions you will need multiple rigs.
look into the IOM and M class for starters…then any other class that takes racing seriously.

I know many serious sailors who only have one rig; especially for the ODOM class, and Star 45. We sail the ODOM in 3 - 25 MPH winds (maybe higher, I never measure it.)

Nothing funny about that. The most they will do is keep the rig in a sail box.