scow footy??

Silly me then,I wonder why I built all those other little rigs for my IOMs and Footies then…

I probably wouldn’t sail a Footy when the wind is really up (if that’s what you mean.) But since it’s relatively cheap to make a Footy rig, as well as portable, compared to any other class, having different sized rigs shouldn’t not be past anyone’s means.

Back to scows,
Well I have been thinking about this idea more and more…so I took a peice of foam and carved a half size footy just to see what it would look like.
Interestingly the Moth scows started life with completely flat bottoms,the american Megles type scows still seem to have this feature.
The International moth scows gradually evolved into semi tunnel hulls,the concave section of the hull was controlled by the rules and didn’t extend all the way back,so it wasn’t a cat I guess.
The fastest scows had as much hollow as the rules allowed.
(The skiff moths came along and scow development stopped…would like to build a new scow with more modern methods sometime,these were the most fun boats I ever sailed.)
The Footy rule has no provision for hull hollows…so even a full on cat or tri is class legal.
attached are my “Monocat” pictures,basically 2 cat hulls that morph into a single hull in the aft sections.The idea is that when heeled the boat is very narrow with a symetrical waterline,but also very stable with the full 6 inch beam caried nearly all the way fwd and aft.
of the wind the hull sits higher as there are 2 of them in the water,the 2 narrow bows may resist diving more(not sure??) and the “wing” between the 2 bows may help.
The bow waves between the hulls may also lift the hull out of the water a little??or slow it down:(
I floated this 6 inch model and it is a lot more stable than a normal mono hull of the same length.
maybe worth a try??

Very interesting. I think I find that more convincing than the original scow. If you’ve got much more form stability, do you dare take weight out of the bulb and reduce displacement? As you say, Footies often sail in ‘heavy’ weather, particularly in NZ - so wetted surface not so mportant. Cut displacement to the point you have to cut sail area as well?

A.

Ever come across an English quarter tonner called Black Bottom? It had a flat bottom dinghy like hull to the bottom of which was attached what was basiclly a square section canoe. See attachment. It didn’t work but there may well have been other reasons for that - driver trouble.

A.

Sorry - attachment didn’t!

A.

The latest equivalent,
Out 95.
http://www.out95.com/album06/index.html

Cool, Brett.

If you cobble together some lines, I’d love to build one.

–Doug

That looks as if it dos work!

A.

Not sure if my “monocat” would work at all Doug,to hard to tell!!
maybe if the “tunnel” continued all the way back? ie a cat with the hulls touching at max beam.
This type of hull would be very stable and therefore have good sail carrying ability,you could reduce displacment somewhat and reap the rewards downwind.

Hi guys,

After fooling around in Hullform I’ve reconsidered my comments about the aesthetics of the Scow, and developed the “cat” version that Brett mentioned.

Unfortunately, Hullform files aren’t permitted here anymore, so I can’t post it. :mad: If one of you knows how to make jpg files from Hullform, please let me know. If I can convert a few views I’ll post them.

Doug, I’m sending you the file via email.

Bill H

This might help Bill,unless you have a latter version!:slight_smile: