My RC Luna Rossa IACC

yes that is what i want. but not at the price tag. that is the ac15 from new zealand it is about $6000 us and is over 7 foot. My wife would kill me. she is happy with the 1.2 meter version af the boats. and is willing to races that size . I contacted the company that does the boats and they do not sell the plans, if you want the boat , you have to buy the boat. I want the build it
but thanks for keeping your eye out I appeachated it( good my spelling stinks)
i am realy after nzl 32
are you thinking of joining chicco and me in building them?

There is already a similar class in the US to the AC15. http://www.orgsites.com/mi/model-ac-class/
They are similar size to the AC15 but not a One Design. They cost well under $2000 US to make. One has been listed for sale on Honest Ahab for $500 for a long time.

Cougar. You have mentioned before sailing on Lake Huron on Lake Ontario so you are not that far away from where most of these boats already are. There are fleets in Detroit and Buffalo.

ryan
you are right buffalo and toronto and detroit all have ac class boats. but what i am proposing is a class that would fit into your car. make the ac class the size of the marblehead and with the wieght of a IOM. this is basicly what chicco has done. the hull would fit right across the family civic. the ac15 is a great looking boat but hard to transport and hard to store if you are living in an apartment. biuld to our rules and you can have the best of both worlds
thanks for the info . i will keep an eye on ahab
cougar

The AC’s aren’t as hard to transport as you might think. I fit mine in a Ford Mustang. I have a one piece mast and keep the sails on it all the time and it still fits. Storage in the house can be a problem but not to bad since standing against the wall it doesn’t take up that much space. I have a house smaller then most apartments.
Good luck with your new boats.

ryan
this is still just an idea i had , i did not know that chicco had the same idea, but this could be a good thing. The big ac class boats are nice but they are expensive. this idea, and i do not know how much chicco spent on his, will be under $1000. and we will have basicly the same boat only smaller
you should think about it
cougar

We already have a good class here. We have a smaller 36inch version that the kids are making for their own class.

You guys should make up some kind of design rule or class rules either stating it has to be a scale hull shape? also max keel depth, sail area, mast height, displacement etc… What is fast in a full scale boat isn’t necesarily faster in the models. I don’t think any of the AMYA AC boats have a scale hull shape. I know one boat was built with a double knuckle bow but it was slower then boats with conventional bows.

ryan i agree. we should set down rules to design by. but right now all i came up with was to scale down the iacc class boat to 1/20, and i found chicco had already done the same thing, if other people want oto build them then come on and help us. basicly what i have done is use the keel deep of a IOM and the same bulb. the sail area should be around 950-1000 sqr inch. we can decide later and the mast height should be around 5-6 feet. this could be a fun class but right now there is only one boat in existance with 3 more on the way. we have chicco luna rosa. i am building nzl 60 and a friend of mine is building alinghi. i am willing to build another one but cannot find plans. i want nzl 32

Ryan, you are right about the class rules. When i built my boat i had in mind to scale down a IACC and have a model with a dinamical behavior similar to its full scale counterpart. My idea would be to have a class with a rule that keeps in mind sail surface, weight etc. but also the type of boat reproduced.
I explain: in a IACC the knuckle bow allows to have about 2mq of more sail. Other than that the knukcle bow slows down the boat, so it’s useful only if connected with the ability to carry more sail.
This could be obtained in a model class “scaling down” the a rule like the IACC one. In Italy there is a club that has done a similar thing. There is an equation to calculate rating based on boat’s dimensions, then you add or subtract points to your rating depending on type of boat reproduced, materials, details etc. etc.
Time to translate this rule from italian to english and i’ll post it here.

Bye!

Chicco /)

Federico Nardone
http://digilander.libero.it/velarc
soon online: www.velarc.it

The US class does use a scaled down IACC rule for the sail area/displacement/length. The equations are basically the same with different coefficients so that it scales down to 1/12 of a full size boat. Sail area is measured differently.

ryan.
thanks for commenting on the idea here. for a long time it seemed like it was just chicco and me who where doing this. (i know you arent yet):slight_smile: but this discussion is a good thing , and i would not mind if it did not break down into a we did this and you did that. we should all be working toward a common goal. i just got though a book on 12 meter racing wrtitten by dennis conner. and he basicly said that it was the team fault for losing , the fighting over who did what. that cost him the win. i think we are on to something here. and not to take away from the ac class. i treind to fit a fiends boggieman into the car , and the trunk would not close. you should see my wife face when that happen
keep up the good work out there
and merry xmas
cougar

Cougar,
I may be able to set you up with a set of drawings for NZL-32, including sail plan.
send us an e-mail regarding what format you would like them in (ie, .DXF, .DWG, etc) and I will see what I could do for you.
e-mail, prdesign001@hotmail.com

pjr
all the help we can use. i wil take them in dxf, bitmap, jpeg or in pencil if i can get them. just talk with chicco. he will tell you this is the boat I want. thanks. are you going to join us?
cougar

chicco
just got the drawing for the bulkhead done on NZL 60 , it is a pain to put them on the computer. but when i have a full set of working drawings, i will give them to anybody who wants to build in our scale
cougar

http://members.rogers.com/kmyc/
new club that will run a new class( hopefully) very simular to chicco boat
cougar

pjr
i could realy used those drawing in a dxf or dwg format. i am slowly getting used to the idea of the computer.
and chicco
when do i get a set of drawing for nzl 32?
you said you could do them up on the computer?
lol
cougar

Hi chicco,
That is an awesome yacht!!
how much sail area does it have & how do you stop the backstay from restricting the main when it is tacking/jybing?
Does it have full batterns on the main?
How much did the sails cost to make?
Does it sail well in waves?

Thanks in advance
Rob

Chicco, your boat is beautiful!!!

I would definitely be interested in plans for any America’s cup boat(s) you have. I would also love to start a new class at our club based upon this.

We have a few builders at our club and I’m sure I could generate some interest.

I’d also like to see plans for sail plans too.

Thanks for sharing (I’d even pay a modest amount for plans if you require the incentive).

Thanks again.

you want plans for luna rosa. or plans for NZL 60 . i have them just email me or go to my website for more information
http://members.rogers.com/kmyc/
we are starting a new class and if you want to build . we will for me. all i ask for in return of the plans , are pictures of your boat
cougar

@ yachtie2k4: thank you! The model has 62 dm2 (~ 961 in2) sail area. The backstay crane is extended by a stainless steel wire, this way the backstay can be tightened leaving always enough room for the mainsail (you can see it here: http://www.velarc.it/images/nav_4.jpg). The main has full battens. To realise the sails i spent virtually nothing since i used scraps of cloth from a sail loft and i did the sail by myself using a self made camberboard. I use to sail her in a pond so not really rough waters…

@ dane: thanks! You can freely download the plans here: http://www.velarc.it/eng/plans.htm . It’s not the final plan: it lacks of measures, but you can use the measure tool of AutoCAD (or the equivalent for another program)to obtain them. REMEMBER: all the dimensions in the drawing are MILLIMETRES. If you want it in inches scale it by 0.03937 (1" = 25.4mm). I and Cougar are puttin’ up a class called IACC20 (IACC models 1/20 scale). We would be happy if you will join us!

@ Cougar: do you need a brand new plan for nzl32? I can do that, but you’ll have to give me a bit of time! How is going with nzl60?

Chicco /)

Federico Nardone
http://digilander.libero.it/velarc
soon online: www.velarc.it

hey buddy the plans for nzl 60 are done. and oh hell yes i want the plans for nzl 32. that is my boat.
i have gottne people form new zealand and austrailia intrested in the new class. but they cannot get plans. all i can get them is nzl 60 and 1ta 45. so if you can get me the palns for nzl 32 . i would greatly like it. thanks
could you contacted me on msn , my wife deleted all my contacts
cougar