My RC Luna Rossa IACC

Hi rc sailors,
this is my first post here. My name is Federico, 24 years old from Italy.
I like to design and build myself rc yachts. Attached my first work: a model of Luna Rossa, the boat that won 2000’s Louis Vuitton Cup. She’s 1.20 m long and weighs 4.5 Kg. Sorry but i still have no pics of her sailing.

Bye!
Chicco [:-bonc01]

Download Attachment: ita45.jpg
42.1KB

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by Dick Lemke

Very Beautiful Boat! Do you build your own sails too?
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

Sure: i used a camber board. White panels are made of light polyester, yellow ones are mylar/kevlar.

Terrific job, Chicco!

Doug Lord
microsail.com
monofoiler.com
High Technology Sailing/Racing

…Chicco, you ARE the man! Just a wonderfull job.

How much? (Just kiddin, I have no $$)

First off Welcome to the board [:-captain].
The boat posted look very nice.

Wondering if you would like to give us the full specs? Or maybe even a recap of the whole process [8D]. I think I speak for some when I say I just love to hear about how people build their boats along with any information they are willing to tell.

Thanks Again,
Chad

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by chad

First off Welcome to the board [:-captain].
The boat posted look very nice.

Wondering if you would like to give us the full specs? Or maybe even a recap of the whole process [8D]. I think I speak for some when I say I just love to hear about how people build their boats along with any information they are willing to tell.

Thanks Again,
Chad

Thank you!
I’ve put online a page with a brief description of the designing and building of the model plus a bunch of pics.[:-jump]

http://www.velarc.it

Any comment is welcome! [:-bouncy]

Bye!
Chicco

Veeeery nice :slight_smile:

You’ve obviously had quite a lot of experience with CAD. The results show :slight_smile:

I’m very interested to see how you get on with the tandem keel. It rocks !!

Wim
www.aquaholic.tk

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by TheAquaholic

Veeeery nice :slight_smile:

You’ve obviously had quite a lot of experience with CAD. The results show :slight_smile:

I’m very interested to see how you get on with the tandem keel. It rocks !!

Wim
www.aquaholic.tk

Thanks Wim, let me return you the compliments for your Aquaholic: i love these two rudders Open 60, it should be FAST!

The tandem keel is a challenge that i want to win but there’s still so much to do! I’ll post here any news about it!
Bye!

Chicco /)

Federico Nardone
http://digilander.libero.it/velarc

chicco
you did a fanatic job on the boat. way to go. you sort of stole my idea. I and a couple of friend go realy ivolved in the americas cup. and acualy watch every race on tv. we wanted to race smaller version of the boat ourselves. and you did it. incredible. the sailes and the hull look like that was in auckland in 2000. now if I can get plans for oracle and you send me the spec on your boat maybe we can get a class going for ourselves. I have 5 people over here. looking at buying the ac15 from new zealand. but we want star and stripes, I want oracle and a brand new sailor want alhingi. he does not know it was coutts that won the race and not the boat
great job chicco

Thanks cougar,
yours is a really nice project. This boats are fast and they look stunning in the pond under sail. At the moment i’m working on a brand new site with many infos on scratch building rc sail yachts (especially IACCs). I’ll put also online plans for free download (a sort of opensource rc sail model plans). Check your PM for some more infos on my boat.

Bye!

Chicco /)

Federico Nardone
soon online: www.velarc.it

chicco
your boat has got a lot of people here talking. we are planing on getting a class going, just right now in our club. does your boat have a detachable fin? and how much sail area do you have? the parameters that we are going for is

1. the boat should be around 1.2 -1.4 meters long
  2. the hull has to have a detachable fin
  3. the overall wieght is around 4-5 kg
    and has to be controled by just 2 channel
    your boat fits into that class right now
    what I want to know is how does it sail? that fin is not to scale , but i realy dont care about that
    I am looking forward to your website
    Cougar
    Lloyd G. Ertel

my boat fits exactly your specs. It is a little shorter since it is 1.15 m long. Fin, rudder,mast and boom are all detachable. Sail area is 62 dm^2 (~ 961 in^2). Neither fin nor rudder are not to scale because the boat won’t sail right if exactly to scale (if you reduce lenghts by 20 times, areas will be reduced by 2020=400 times and volumes by 2020*20=8000 times, not mentioning Reynolds number…) The boat is quite fast and accelerates very well with just a breath of wind. I think that due to its large sail area it’s most suitale for light winds. If you need some pics of some detail of the boat i will be happy to email them to you.

Bye!

Chicco /)

Federico Nardone

hey chicco
we had a meeting and decided to go with alhigni, oracle, one world, and prada. I will be building nzl 60. i can find drawing of NZL 32. that is the boat i would realy like to copy. so if you could send me some picture , it would greatly be apprecaited. since right now you are the expert. (your did the first one in our class). i was looking at your mainsail. and was wondering about the sail numbers you came up with? how long is the foot. and how long is the leech. or even the mast?
cougar
LLoyd g. Ertel

wow, that’s great!

Just tell me what you want me to photograph.
The mast is 1.55 m, foot 48 cm, leech 1.42 m.
If you wish i can mail you the plan of my model in cad format; i also have a set of lines of the full scale NZL60 and ITA45 and if you like vintage IACCs(America’s cup 1992)i am working on the model of “il moro di Venezia 5”, very similar to “America cube”. Feel free to mail me directly.
Bye!

Chicco /)

Federico Nardone

hey out there
is there anybody intrested in the americas cup?
we have 2 people here trying to get a 1/20 scale class going. come on board. and race the best:-)
it seems to me chicco that you might be the man to talk with about plans for nzl 32 'black majik" if you have them or know anybody that has them I would like it very bad. Black majic was the ultimate boat. I have to have australia II and built it to scale. now I want the other superboat. and do i want your model cad plans
in a word YES!!!
the picture i need are of your rudder, rig and if possible the hull itnerior. i built aussie II using a foam hull and fibreglassing the foam. drilling a hole in the bow and pour acetone in the hatch. the acetone melted to foam and left me with a hard shell. I can send you picture of aussie II , if you want but it sounds like you are into the iacc class and not the 12 meter class.
people here is a guy we could all learn from. and maybe even get a class going
chicco you work over there
and I will work over here in canada
and just maybe we might do something
cougar

I’ve got no plans of nzl32, but i can draw them. Let’s find a set of pics and some specs and this could be the next one:

Download Attachment: nzl32.jpg
26.56KB

Let’s do it!

Chicco /)

Federico Nardone

I was looking at that picture and it looks like the jib on that NZL32 isn’t on a jib boom. If thats true how has it been worked to tack. That shure is a beautiful boat thought… Any more pictures or info you could post?

Dave

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by CaptainRon

I was looking at that picture and it looks like the jib on that NZL32 isn’t on a jib boom. If thats true how has it been worked to tack. That shure is a beautiful boat thought… Any more pictures or info you could post?

Dave

It hasn’t a jib boom because it’s like the full scale jib: it overlaps the mainsail. It needs two winches to control the jib. I found that pic some time ago somewhere in a french site, i can’t remember where. It was quite a big boat; about 2 meters long. I’ll try to find it out again.
Bye!

Chicco /)

Federico Nardone

you see chicco
once people start to look at these boats they want one. my wife even now is saying she might like to drive one. and a IOM is too fast for her. I told you we are on to something here. we should try and keep the cost of the boats under $2000 us , radio and everything
that will get people building in our class
cougar
and i think that picture is nzl 32 the stern looks right but i cant realy see the bow . but i WANT that boat:-)

Is this what you want?[:-angel][;)]

Download Attachment: [ 15 save 2.JPG](http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/data/IanHB/2003121421416_15 save 2.JPG)
20.26KB

nerds of the wold untie