My F100 CKTF Boat

Gappy: If you are in Connecticut try to stop by the USIOM National races next weekend at the Coast Guard Academy in New London. Fifty entries including Graham Bantock and Ken and Trevor Binks (Current World Champion). Racing starts next Friday afternoon. There is also practice sailing on Thursday at GregV’s pond near Hartfor.

And if you are down in New York City and want to visit Central Park, just let me know.

Roy

Hi

thanks for that just checked my tickets I am leaving CT on Friday about lunch time as my plane back to NZ leaves at 5 pm friday I was supposed to go on to england but have had my plans changed so will be heading back to NZ and will be able to work on my boat.

Cheers for the offer any way I will be back up in CT again hopefully soon as we have more work to do up here at some time.

Cheers Gappy

Lets get back on track none of this siteseeing tours!!! Iam brassed off that no one offered to take me to their pool when I was in Canton Ohio last October for 5 weeks. (smile)

It looks like Gappy will have his 2nd boat in the water before mine, that the penalty for working out of town all the time. Looking at shifting to the Hawkes Bay (Wine Counrty)

I am also trying to get my new IOM up to speed its the Auckland Champs next weekend which is the 1st rating regatta for selections to the World Champs in Queensland Austrialia in Sept 2005.

So all I can say to you all, just imagine 3 F100 CKTF boats sailing on the Auckland Harbour, “THE HOME OF THE AMERICA"S CUP” now Grant Datlon has the money in place plus a few extras from USA & UK.

Yes there will be photos of the big splash, but it will only be the jib @ main setup I will need to get use to all the extra sticks (2 rudders Mast/sheets & canting keel on the transmitter (IOM only use 2) before hoisting the gennaker.

IF time and kwonledge allows I will try for a web page

Gappy
We must get together and compare notes sometime!!

John

Can do when I get back it would be good to compare notes.

I will try and get in touch when i get back and work has settled back down as i expect my job list in New Zealand is only getting longer.

Cheers Gappy

Here is a servo that you guys may want to look at for your canting keels:

http://www.servocity.com/html/power_gearbox_servos.html

Hit !

I desires to contact John Beavis.
Can he e-mail me ? pierre.lamothe@edfgdf.fr

Thanks and regards

Sailman

Hi everyone

I need a little help I have some pics of my F100 but I am stuff if I can figure out how to post them if anyone can provide some directiosn it would be great.

Cheers Gappy

Gappy,

I assume that you have them in digital format? THere are a few requirements. The main one that seems to cause the most problem is file size. The size needs to be below 100K. I have found that the system will reject the files somewhere between 80K and 90K.

If your files are smaller than that, and still are not working, then it might be the file type. What format are they in? The system accepts .jpg and .gif for sure. I’m not sure what other types it accepts.

Anyway, check those two things and see if it works…

• Will

Will Gorgen

Related topic:

http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=602

EDIT: Added…
If you want to use a “DOWNLOAD” (link) within the post, you can save the photos in smaller size to your hard drive and select “INSERT A FILE” - if photo is too big, system will tell you.

If you want photo to show up WITH your text, then you have to save to internet (somewhere) so the photo has an “address” like a web site with a URL - http://www.something !

If all else fails, email me and I’ll post from here if I can

Guys Hi

Thanksa for the help the files are jpeg I just don’t knowhow to insert them by selecting them from myhard drive any advise would be great.

Cheers Gappy

Gappy,

You need to start by using the “reply to topic” button near the top of the page (rather than the quick reply box).

When you go into the reply to topic screen, you will see all those little emoticons and so on next to the text window. Below all that there will be a button with a paperclip symbol on it that says “insert a file”. Click on that. A new window will open up that will allow you to browse your hard drive looking for a file to insert. Below the filename box will be a button that reads “Upload File to Gappy’s post” Click on that once you have selected your file and it will load it into your post. There will be a bunch of garbledygook in you window that will look like this

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”> b Download Attachment:/b
url=“http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/data/wgorgen/20046257654_sailing1.jpg” img images/icon_paperclip.gif /img sailing1.jpg/url br 34.14KB<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

When you post your reply, you will see this:

Download Attachment: sailing1.jpg
34.14KB

If that does not answer your question, can you tell us what you have done so far and where you are getting stuck. That will help us to sort you out…

• Will

Will Gorgen

Hi

Well I have finally figureed out how to post these photos and thanks to everyone that helped then had to reduce the size of them so hope they are ok.

Well as you can see porgress is not to bad just needs all the parts dry fitted and a bit of fairing and painting now but building the mast at the moment as that needs to be fitted before painting to make sure I have allowed for everything as it is a bit tricky but all will be revealed soon.

any way have a look and any comments are welcome

Cheers Gappy

Download Attachment: dcp_0001-1.jpg
42.35KB

Download Attachment: dcp_0002-1.jpg
44.54KB

Download Attachment: dcp_0003-1.jpg
78.99KB

Download Attachment: dcp_0004-1.jpg
66.54KB

Download Attachment: dcp_0005-1.jpg
71.51KB

Gappy

We should rename the topic as “OUR F100 CKTF Boats” or Kiwi F100 CKTF Boats"!!!

It looks great & fast!!!
Have you based it on an IOM design?
What bulb weight will it be? and it looks a long after aft.

I see you have gone for a gear drive for the keel, What size gear & pinon are they and what type of servo will you be using.

My update.

Last weekend I wired the servo’s, receiver and batteries, lots of wire far more than my IOM’s.

The 6 servos have been tested, all I need to do is to program the transmitter and winches to do the right things, then its up to me to play with the correct sticks.

The keel swings fast,as it almost threw the boat out of the cradle. Alot of load when the 1.9 kg bulb is swung out to the side.

John

Hi

Thanks

Yeah the keel is a long way after but it is only just a bit further aft that my last model which I found had bow down tendancy when really powered up and so I have moved it slightly aft and and the bulb is going going to be about 1.9kgs.

I am using a gear bulkhead which i got off grunta and have not actually counted the number of teeth but I am using a HITECH 725bb sail winch which gives the exact number of turns from hard over to hard which is needed so i was pretty lucky there not as fast as I would like but might invest in a gyuatt once I have gottne married which is sucking the funds away pretty quickly.

I have not designed my rudders yet as I want to go deeper but narrower than what I had last time with the same area though as these seem to work great. Are you going to use collective steering on your boat.

Anyway work is progressing and working on my mast at the moment which is making me think a bit so we will see how it turns out.

Cheers Gappy

Hey Gappy,

What is the small servo forward of the mast (shown in picture dcp0004)? Is that for a jib fine tune, forward steering or something else?

I had a nasty shock the other day. I found out that the 725BB that I am using for my mast has a different amount of travel depending on which channel it is on. I had been testing my setup using my sheet channel (since that is the only one I have a rachet on right now). But when I plugged it in to the channel that I intend to use, the travel was MORE that what I had designed for. I had not left any allowance for extra travel so the system crashes into stuff at the end of the travel. GRRRRR! I guess it is time to invest in a radio with adjustable endstops, eh?

• Will

Will Gorgen

I discovered that just messing with my sheeting loop. Now if it doesn’t have EPA I’m not interested.

Thanks
Don
Vancouver Island

Will

Hi

Yeah I found thatb it also depends on what brand of radio gear us usde the winch with as the futaba seems to give it a lot more travell than the hitech system.

The servo forward is for the forward rudder as it is a lot easier to do this than try and run control lines around my keel setup.

Cheers Gappy

It finally happened a birth at 4.768 kg (10.5 lbs)

It floated,
It canted
It turned
It rotated

What more can a man ask for.

OK it was floating about 3 mm up at the bow 5 mm down at the stern. But it is 268 grams overweight, not bad.

What am I talking about, here are a couple of photos of THE BOAT doing a float test in a pool.

Big pood next week, might have to get a a 9 channel transmitter, to may controls on the sticks.

Download Attachment: DSC01360.JPG
58.94KB

Download Attachment: DSC01361.JPG
60.15KB

Download Attachment: DSC01362.JPG
60.81KB

Download Attachment: DSC01363.JPG
54.31KB

That’s about half canting 25 deg approx, don’t want to take it any further without the deck covers on.