micro recievers?

Kids here are the same…Gone are the days of building cool models and playing with lego’s being a boy scout (I was an Eagle), camping. its all about video games, ipods, internet, and TV.

I was busy looking for a job and working when I was 15 to pay for my Scouting & high-adventure camping ($500 a trip) The kids I know today like to go camping a lot too. They prefer sports to iPods and iPhones, but I will hand-down my old ones when I have them. One or two will probably get a Footy this year, I’ll bet, as will the local charity camp for disabled kids. :sly: My kids do the responsible thing, as should all. :slight_smile:

At the LHS, the plastic models are still popular, as are the model trains. Kids are buying the models, but usually dad buys the trains.

Oh- I’ll be needing a few transmitters, too, but I can get those free (using the barter-system.)

thx

i might have a couple futaba 2 channel attacks transmitters hanging around that I don’t use any more…now that Ive gone the 2.4 route. no recievers though…

I’ll see what I can dig up. for you…

When you receiver gets this small it’s time to dump the switch!
Spectrum AR6100

Incidentally the Spectrum DX5e can be had most places for $99.99 without servos which we typically switch anyway. Extra micro receivers like the AR6100 are $49.99
Which compares well to a Futaba 2DR at $44.95 typically and $45 for an extra receiver without crystal, another $6.99

The Spectrum is a 5 channel radio capable of use in model aircraft too and quality wise is much better in my opinion. Plus it’s the best thing to recommend to youngsters who might sail at your pond and not quite get ‘frequency control’ :slight_smile:

Graham

with my old dx6 I can’t go to the 6100 I don’t think… isn’t technology grand…the ar6600 is still plenty small

I’m still looking for a second DX6 on the cheap. so I have a backup…just in case…

Get the DX6i Marc so that you can use the full range of receivers. There are some of the RTF aircraft which come with an actual DX6i transmitter in the box, that’s how I got mine for a song from a mate who didn’t need several. Might be worth asking at your local model shop or model aircraft club to see if anyone has one spare.

Graham

Yep, those Rx are getting tiny. I just bought a DX6i and love it. I have a AR6100e that hides nicely in any boat. Velcro is a wonderful thing.

I almost bought the AR6300 at 2g but it uses a micro connector and the LHS didn’t have the adapters. I think the 6300 is their smallest.

I agree with Graham that the low end AM and FM stuff is on the way out. The cost of 2.4 is coming down and already close enough to make 2 channel AM/FM a waste of money. I recommended it before the DX6i, but not anymore.

no real reason to ditch the dx6 in favor of the dx6i…the ar6000 is 7 grams, the ar6300 is 2-3.
I’ll save my pennies so I can buy an ec12…:slight_smile: only 300 buck for a hull…

Oh I agree Marc, I just suggested it instead of a second DX6 as you metioned you were looking for.

if I buy a second dx6 then its compatible to all my dx6 recievers…(going on 4 now.) why buy a spare on the cheap if its not compatible…i don’t think the dsm2 is backwards compatible to the ar6000 rx’s

I don’t know why I’m even contemplating a second transmitter. Ive never had a single problem with my current dx6. Not even a hiccup to speak of…

Although I fried a receiver over the weekend… Its amazing what 7.2 volts of LiPo will do when plugged in with the polarity reversed…$50 oopsie…gotta pay attention out there kiddies…at least the rx went and did not take the two servo’s with it…

Please don’t take this the wrong way Marc, you do what you choose to do of course. I’m just making sure that the facts are straight on this. From the Spektrum web site…

“The DX6i is also backwards-compatible with the AR6000— making the DX6i the perfect upgrade for current DX6 owners.”

Graham I did not think the dx6i was backwards compatible…See I learned something today…but at $200 bucks, the 6i is a bitter pill to swallow. I guess no more bitter than the 184 I paid for my 6 a couple years ago…

I need to be cautious about my spending. When the new boat showed up the significant other started raising her eyebrows. The fact that one of my vics is going out the door :zbeer: eased the tension…slightly…

And I’m already thinking about a buying a bare hull ec12…maybe next year for Christmas…of course I need to finish the colin archer to free up bench space…

so other than DSM2 technology, what does the 6i do better than the 6? thast applicable to boats…?

I found the programming of the 6i very easy, especially in comparison with my Hitec flash 5 computer radio, that thng is a nightmare!

My new A-600 Skiff is complete and ready to sail this weekend, the mechanism to move the balasted hiking crew dude works really well!!

He is all painted up and will have some sunglasses I found on eBay that were for the old Ken dolls!!

This should be a blast to learn to sail with the moving ballast and all, i did some upgrades, instead of a stayed wooden mast, I went with unstayed CF tube and all my own fittings.

Pretty happy with the 6i, it was only $169.00 at Hobbytown USA with the double reciever, chargeable batteries and a charger.

FYI, FMA bought Berg, so maybe it would be worthwhile to put a little pressure on them to develop a 75 MHZ version of the Berg micro receiver, using the normal crystals you get with AM radios, as it would be very useful for all surface craft, and I’m sure they’d sell a milion of them.

tomo

are going to be at the NCR? I did locate a few crystallized radios I cna bring down…

I’m stuck in ohio, mate. I only use 4-channel transmitters, btw

oh well

can’t blame a bloke for trying…

I believe you are thinking of Castle Creations. Other than supporting their former lines FMA has gotten out of the receiver business. They may be persuaded just the same…

Brian

Out of interest just look at the frequency distribution on the entry list for the NCR http://www.sundaysloopers.com/?page_id=144
I knew 2.4GHz was going to be popular but to happen this fast and in what are basically low cost boats is impressive.

Graham

G

you also have to remember that most of us sail other boats other than footy’s and IMO the ability to program each boat into the TX takes the cake.

to put the smaller lighter weight stuff in the smaller boats only makes sense…