Let put our old MARBLEHEADS on the water

Hey guys I’ve heard of training wheels but not on Ms, is this really a High Zoot M in disguise with trainers?

I was starting to think I may have a senior moment, that I was not on the page of trying to put marbleheads back in the water, that maybe I had stumbled into trimarans . But no, you guys want to talk about upturnded grand mams rocking chairs . Well I think I know your views on the class your forebears founded. I think it is a wonderfull class . other people think it is a wonderful class too and I guess we will have to get on without you. Adios, good bye, hoo roo. Or what ever you say round your way. Have fun sailing.

Steve - just offering alternatives to those with investments that don’t seem to be competitive to their owners … add training floats and join the F-48 Class (most of us will probably overlook the 2 inch waterline length for starters - just to get multihulls out and sailing) - or … sell your rig and rigging to someone building an F-48. That at least gets an older boat on the water -seeing as how vintage racing is being received rather lukewarm… and only for specific age ranges.

For me - there is a Pinter in the area that is of interest to me - but after I buy it - then what, where and with whom? I applaud you for your thoughts and efforts, and perhaps old boats will die - at least until the next generation of owners come along and wonder about them for sailing.

The trimarans we have featured/posted are just an alterntive - and in a sense are getting old boats back on the water - but perhpas not in the format you were thinking.

Sorry - didn’t mean to hijack the thread … back to you now … I’ll go away. [;)] [;)]

PS [:-bulb] Just think how fast your old M would be without all that lead hanging around !!! [:D]

Dick, I really thought the discussion had run its length. For it is about Wetting a boat, not talking about wetting aboat. and If we are keen, we do just that. So if VMYG is not quite going, for what ever reasons , why can’t you go and do say late 80s to 2000 vintage and call it modern classic or something? what would we have in common with the old American Designers that went before you, like Peterson , Stan Goodwin, Potheroe(the Santa barbara), Kethmann , Gus Lassel. What you say to these guys about whats happening , that your given up . Well there is some guys who haven’t given up , like Stobbe and Tosetti and blokes like that, who have just got on with. And dare I say not with two extra hulls strapped to the 'gunnel. As I said I think we are in parting mode.

With the exception of bathtubs or indoor swimming pools - “Wetting” up this way is still a bit of a problem. Here in Minnesota, just south of Canada, our winters usually last a long time - accompanied by cold weather and lots of snow. Unlike our southern state neighbors like Texas, Arizona, Florida, New Mexico, Nevada or California … up here we wait from about mid-October until about early/mid April. Thus, many of us can only write about ideas as we wait for water to get soft, and snow to disppear.

I wish this wasn’t the case - but right now it is:
<center></center>

and then again, there are some who … well, I guess everyone makes choices! Can’t remember where I picked up this image, but easy to do a bit further up in Duluth Harbor.
<center></center>

So - when the water and sun warms … maybe we can see what we can get out of storage.

Cheers - and enjoy your sunshine and warmth!

Your quite right Dick , thank you for the suitable admonishment! Here we are ‘Down under’ sweating our bums off (80 deg today ). And you’se are doing it tough. Iheard John Snow of Marblehead was “snowed in”. I reckon I could do with a bit, for the humidity is killing us. Your point is well taken. Thank you.

Hey I still have the molds for the Reynolds M Class “Checkmate” if anyone wants a brandnew old boat. [:-banghead]

www.LudwigRCYachts.com

Yes , Yes , thats the spirit. I had forgotten about Reynolds, thank you Larry. Now you guys are thinking that Epic is 30s old and a double ender and Peterson’s double ender and the bingo, I bet most of you old guys out there had your favourite ones too.True enough. What we now need in Marblehead thinking is a bit of good old Yankee knowhow! I’ll bloody drink to that?

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by Dick Lemke

and then again, there are some who … well, I guess everyone makes choices! Can’t remember where I picked up this image, but easy to do a bit further up in Duluth Harbor.
<center></center>

<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

Dick,
To refresh your memory (as long as we’re getting off topic here), you picked up that image at www.iceboat.org & was taken by my friend Karl Ashbrenner. The location was from Menominee, Michigan looking at a Renegade iceboat (http://www.iceboat.org/renegade.htm ) & a Great Lakes freighter on the bay of Green Bay headed towards the city of Green Bay, Wisconsin.
Regards,
Bill

Thanks Bill ----

I needed that ! [:-dunce] [:D]

Are you guys a bit hard pressed on American designers?

What would be more to your tastes? Canadian , perhaps English? For there are a few good Canadian designers of note?

As Steve Crewes says I’ll have an Epic anyday, used to own one when I was still in South Africa. If I knew then what I know now I would have brought it with me to the UK.
In a few months time I will be looking around for an Epic hull again (other committments @ the moment), Condition of the hull is not too important as I can sort that out. Anyhooz roundabout May I shall be on the hunt for an Epic. Intend to use the conventional and old fashioned rig on her.
(Why take the motor out of an E type Jag and then put a V8 in.)
Keep it as a the thoroughbred it is. [:-tophat]

Well I see it this way Milray. You can keep your Jag motor in it but the problem is the motor is thity years old, maybe more and things have changed in those thirty odd years. And the same with the Epic. I think the basic shape could/ would be alright but the motive power (sails) would need a boost. any boat that has the Cof E on the Cof LR has to be worth preserving.

QLD Panther tell me again I’m not sure what you are after

Hello from South Australia. I have followed the M topic and would like to submit our local system for the M class has us use any M boat no matter how old in an interclub series over the year. The boats are hadicapped and the series is won by the club not the skipper, so bums on seats wins not the fastest boat.
We have quite a number of M,s in the state and a number of keen builders, there is the issue of older boats losing there value, and the new boats becomming less affordable. Is it possilbe that a state/ national hadicap series for M,s is possilbe…could raise the value of the older boats?

Well Coorong , I’m all ears whats your secret?

I don,t think its a secret,the interclub thing has been going for a while. It seems to be more of a reaction to the way the boats went in terms of high tech materiel and then the corresponding price.It is very easy to think in our consumer world that the only way is to buy from someone.This is the usul question from the intreseted spectator.
Alot of our members, over the three clubs are either retired or have more than one boat, in some cases they enjoy the sport from the aspect of building their own.So the hadicap system over three clubs provideds a venue for everyone to race and see a bit of history in one place.
It is,nt always smooth sailing though, we don,t always agree with how the boats are handicapped but whats new.
Ron Parker

Hello Ron, I’m not quite sure what you are talking about with three clubs. Are you talking about the three clubs in South Australia?

This subject your talking about , not only effects Australian Ms but the whole class World Wide.

I first started looking for an answer in 1999. I when to Marblehead lake near Boston,USAin 2000 to sail with the VMYG and my mate Earl Boebert from Albuquerque, USA, was struggling with the same things. Well the upshot of it was shortening the courses that Ms race around and we tried it back in Sydney and it looks promising.

Hi Steve, I am only refering to the local South Australian clubs, as you may know we have three clubs.
The interclub series over the season of three interclub races attracts 18 boats ranging from desings from the sixtys throught to those that would compete with the best of the current go fast designs.
Where this takes us in terms of national or international RM sailing I am not sure, but may be a National hadicap series for RM,s would be an interesting start.To do this we would need some guidlines and a resonable way of ensuring that the boat was true to its vintage, may be the club measurese could help, Nothing ventured nothing gained?

Well Ron how right you are.That nothing ventured nothing gained?

I had another talk to the Nat. Secretary last night about this very subject and what he was saying was that something will happen if it takes place. Now he’s a good bloke and quite up with things R/C yachting wise . So shipmate it is going to be up to us!

Now we are not alone here, there are about 10 clubs or so in Australia interested in varying degrees with what your thinking. And they range from the “Clubman Ms” in Queensland, of about four clubs. To two clubs in Sydney. Your 3 clubs in SA and the Balarat Mob in Victoria. Now Ron that is a lot of people interested in what you are doing and possibly we( collectively ) have a good case of approaching the ARYA for consideration, perhaps as a vintage M section in Marbleheads. It could possibly take on board different themes of racing, apart from the current M class National theme at the Nationals each year. To perhaps develope along the lines of racing older classic Ms at some other time of the year and perhaps at a central location.