I have sailed the prototype of my new F48 Cat today for the first time

I have sailed the prototype of my new F48 Cat today for the first time - wow great fun in light winds.

Okay Roland, you can’t just blurt out a WOW without showing us the prototype. Have some mercy my friend! Lets see some pics or videos, even if she doesn’t have a paint job and isn’t quite ready for prime time.

I´ve seen it! I´ve seen it! :stuck_out_tongue:

Over on RC Groups discussion site.

Well, the forum software made it hard to upload the pics this time, always logging me off instead of accepting the picture url. I finally managed to add the pics by manually editing the post.

//youtu.be/Ubu0sZQyqJM

Cheers
Roland

Hey Roland, very nice!

Do you have sheet control on her? One tack and two jibes, and reaching back and forth don’t make a complete performer though. She has to be able to sail at a fairly close angle to the wind upwind and be able to broad reach or run directly downwind. Videos of the German and Austrian boats racing around a triangular course show that multihulls are capable of performing on all points of sail.

Dick maintains that Cats have a more difficult time of tacking through the wind than Tris. Your new prototype looked pretty smooth in tacking in the video you posted. Can she still tack with some more wind velocity?

Obviously this is a new prototype so there are probably not many answers yet. Sailing head to head with another of your trimarans will let you compare performance and tell you if you are onto something.

Best of luck in developing this boat!

Rowland -

unless of a proprietary nature, I and other multihull enthusiasts would love to see some close up photos of how you handle your sheeting and rudder connections. If possible to post, these added photos to clarify and provide ideas would be helpful and most welcome. Of course, if you are venturing into the area of “sales” - we would understand your reluctance to share the information details.

Thanks for your considering this request.

Dick

Hi Niel,
I do have sheet control on her, of course she does sail up and downwind as well (I have to get her out on the lake against the wind and I do not have a tug handy) - but I did not shoot any footage of up and downwind sailing. With higher winds tacking is no problem at all, if there is not enough wind jibing is easier because the boat can get stalled while tacking. I’m waiting for some windy day to sail her again, unfortunately the wind gods have not given me a chance yet.
Regarding match racing I’m looking for some sparring partner - I would provide the boat.

@Dick
As always, nothing secret with sheeting and rudder connections. Don’t worry, I will not have to shoot you after I told you.
It is simply KISS .
The rudder servo sits direct in front of the rudder with a connection rod to the rudder horn. Sheeting servo sits in the right hull with one pulley to increase the travel and sheet leaves the hull to the sail post attached to the center frame. I will do some pictures for you the next time I’m sailing.

Cheers
Roland

Hi Dick,
here are pics from my rudder connection and my sheeting.

Rudder

Sheeting and drum winch.

Cheers
Roland

Hi Niel,
today I sailed my Cat once more in winds of 25 to 30 km/h and filmed some up- and downwind footage for you

//youtu.be/k286863EPKQ

Enjoy
Roland

PS Dick is right with Cat tacking difficulties - it is difficult when the boards are in the hulls - mine has a center board right behind the rig like a Tri.

Very nice, very even tempered boat.

You definitely need to find another sailor! No matter how beautiful or fast looking your creations your design development would really take off with a trial horse to work with. The best way to understand what your ideas mean practically is to compare your boats in action on the water in differing conditions.

Actually, the best way is for two well matched sailors to sail your boats while you observe. You can learn a lot watching, and you get feedback and observations from two guys who are not emotionally involved in the the design process.

You and Siri have done so much work promoting multihulls I find it hard to believe that there is no homegrown interest and no sailors or r/c enthusiasts you could entice to come sail with you. Is your only audience us foreigners?

Keep at it, my friend. Your work is too promising and your boats very elegant, and your commitment an inspiration.

Rowland -

thanks for the photos. I was quite surprised by the location of your main-sheet - then remembered you are using a swing rig so you can attach close to the mast than those with a traditional rig who need more main-sheet travel. It will help me when I get back to boat building.

In the meantime, I need to complete a wooden refrigerator that I am building for my youngest granddaughter, as I took that project on and a simple wooden box with hinges wasn’t up to my “standards”. I wanted it to look like something from 1950’s so have spent a lot of time “fooling” with the detail. Will have to post when I get done.

Best regards, Dick

Hi Niel,
you are right but unfortunately the locals are not into sailboats, while Siri is not here I have nobody to sail with. When we look at global distribution there are less than ten active F48 multihulls per country - counting countries where races are held.
My thrill is the build of new designs and to try out new technologies so I have my fun anyway.

My son likes to sail my Tris with my help, but he is still too small to sail competitions.
Like most boys he is into engine powered and military things - I have to build a S-boat for him, I promised long ago.
While the plug for the molds of my Cat slowly takes shape I have started to build a Schnellboot from scratch and an old hull I had laying around for ages.

Here are some pics of the boat:

@Dick
I’m happy to hear the pictures will help you and I hope you will find the time to complete the build of your 65cm cat soon, I’m keen to see it on the water.

Cheers
Roland

Well, with the exception of applying putty and touch up paint in the brad holes this project is pretty near complete. It has met my expectations, and will see how well the granddaughter likes it when she comes over. Lots of little details hard to spot — name on front is foam, epoxied with WEST System, band-sawed and then painted silver. The entire project was coated with WEST epoxy, and while the outside was painted, the inside remained clear-finished. Freezer door had thin sheet of polished aluminum applied, the doors have brass rods to retain bottles, etc. and I have a bottom “drawer” in the back where I put four paving blocks to add weight to resist any tipping when door is open. Only nails used were small brads to hold door decoration as I didn’t want it to shift waiting for epoxy to go off. Built from scratch, the plans developed in my head during the build. Size is approximately 41 inches high, 20 inches wide and 13 inches deep. Materials are all solid wood or thin ply.

Now, with this out of the way, perhaps I can get back to a couple of my RG65 projects that were put on hold. Apologies for the hi-jack of the thread.

Dick

During the last months I have worked on a plug to make a mold for my Catamaran and found a name for it - It will be named the ‘Ninja’.

I’m currently working on the molds. You can find the latest updates at my Blog .

Cheers
Roland

That’s my Ninja built from a RCSails kit - First sail 1.1.2013

Happy New Year
Roland

It is too bad the shipping costs get “crazy” as the design/build looks to be easy enough for anyone not wanting to do a scratch build. do you (or Siri) know if there are less expensive ways of shipping? When freight reaches a point of 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of the boat, it doesn’t help get buyers interested (until there is a formal and recognized class that is actively racing).

Nice looking boat, regardless.

Dick

Added: I am thinking that I would have built with a little less rocker to help the hull(s) stay flatter on the water and reduce “hobby-horsing” (giving up a faster tacking ability)

What weight cloth are you going to use for the hulls. I have a feeling my 6 oz. is going to be too heavy.
Do any one have a typical layup schedule for an F 48???

I use two layers of 4 oz. cloth - stiff enough but also takes care of any pinholes in first layer. I use WEST System epoxy and layup layers back-to-back using a stipple brush strokes which forces resin into fabric, but doesn’t overload fabric and cause runs/drips of resin. Once second layer is applied, I use an old auto-body putty applicator (or old credit card) to remove any excess resin. Let cure and roll on two more coats of resin - then scrape/sand to smooth finish. If using female mold, only one exterior coat needed depending on finish inside of mold. Once removed, add water to inside of hull to check for any missed pinhole leaks. A lot depends on your design, and on deck design, as deck adds lots of strength. Remember, you only need to keep water out and away from electronics - you aren’t going to ride in or step on (hopefully) the completed hull and floats. Just add small strips of extra cloth to keel box, rudder and any rig fasteners for a bit more strength.

Thanks Dick, I have a full vacuum bag or Infusion set up so I will be experimenting with that.
So no strength or twist problems with the 2-layer of 4 oz. ??
I think I will do the prototype in 6 oz. at 90 and 45 degrees in a vacuum bag, should be about the same weight < 16 oz.?
Any suggestions on cross beam tube size any one? I have 16mm carbon tube for the mast at 65".
How about T foil size and shapes? I want to build system similar to the Hobie Rave Cat.