I have sailed the prototype of my new F48 Cat today for the first time

on my original F48 and on my 1 Meter, I used 1/2" diameter carbon tube. It is spiral wound - not pultruded. Only foils I am familiar with are the ones Doug Lord used on his MicroSAIL trimarans. The Hobie RAVE uses the “ski-type” front floats to control the attitude of the foils reference their angle of attack - and eliminates the need for the skipper to try to control ride “height”. Back in early years of foiling, Greg Ketterman is the guy who is the one who built the first Hobie prototypes, and moved from an RC sailing to full-size sailing to continue development. His “out-front” foil controls were moved back and under the cross beam on each side of the main hull for the MicroSAIL foiling boat, but both use the same principle - push up one side, pull down the other side to maintain a level ride without any heeling. Here is an older video (YouTube) that shows some closeup photos of how the foil adjusters work, and some of the physics and theory behind it. You should be able to understand and perhaps pull out some ideas for your own boat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8Z4-Oh2fDE

Dick

Thanks again Dick, you are a store house of info.
I will probably use a system like the Trifoiler and on the rudder also, any thoughts?
Laying out the hulls now.

Negative 3 degrees on a rudder wing is what most were using. A low wind speeds, the angle didn’t really hinder performance very much, but as boat speed increased, the winglet would pull the rudder downward to help reduce pitchpole. Once the foils lift the boat, and hold it at desired distance from water, the rudder foil really doesn’t have much to do. I suppose you could hook up one radio channel and make the underwater rudder wing work like the elevators on an r/c plane - both working together up or down.

I was thinking a simple mechanical linkage on the rudder with wand but different ratios. But I have an early FMA Co-Pilot that worked very well in planes I might try on the rudder foil with a servo to keep her level with wands on the main foils. Mmmm

What size running and standing rigging do I need, I have 65# Sprectra but I don’t think that will be strong enough.

My selection that I use - only an FYI … Stainless fishing leader wire - 80 lb test I believe - for standing rigging. I use braided contractor’s chalk line (no test value that I can see) for sheets. Any good fishing/sporting goods shop should stock leader for use in off-shore salmon fishing where you are. Home Depot, Lowes or Menards for the replacement chalk line. You “can” use twisted line, but need to finish off the ends with match or woodburning pen to seal and prevent unravel

Thanks, I will pick up some chalk line today. I may try some 110 lb. Kevlar thread I have for standing rigging.

No luck on the chalk line, I have been buying Carbon tube and rod for years from Goodwinds, Braided spectra 150# 100ft = $9.99!!!

http://goodwinds.com/line-winders/braided-spectra-line.html