Frequency clips for GHz radios

What kind of frequency clips, flags, etc. do the manufacturers provide for those people using the new Gigahertz radios? Most clubs require frequency clips “and” antenna streamers on the radios when in use.

Do you get something with a big G on it? or some kind of graphic (cell phone? :stuck_out_tongue: ) You need to know who is using 75MHz or GHz radios when you get your radio out.

thx

Technically, there is no need for a frequency flag on a 2.4gig radio.

However at our club, those of us that use 2.4 still put a clip on the frequency board under 2.4gig. That way everyone can be sure that ‘their’ frequency is clear and that someone is not ‘on the air’ without a clip.

Also, in RC sail racing, there is a requirement to put a protector on the end of the aerial so no one gets poked in the eye. Most regattas include a waiver to this rule in their sailing instructions for 2.4 gig radios as the aerial is so short.

Now that I have 2.4, I miss having the frequency streamer as I used to use it as a wind indicator.

I’ve never seen anything or rules requiring antenna tip protectors. Most people use them because it’s sensible. Some kids will ask why I have a foamy (mine is just some shaped squishy-foam tied on with a ziptie) on my antenna tip, so I’ll demonstrate what it’s for.

So until EVERYBODY is using something like the spread spectrum technology radio systems, frequency clips will need to be displayed. Conversely, if more people are using it, the more AM75 frequencies wil be available. :smiley:

I thought that since the people here on this website are innovative and (leaders) we could agree on some kind of a symbol or number to use in the meantime.

When racing, RC sailboats are using the Racing Rules of Sailing (RRS).

There are some alterations to the basic rules specifically for RC. There are contained in Appendix E, and contain this item.

E1.5 Aerials
Transmitter aerial extremities shall be adequately protected. When a
protest committee finds that a competitor has broken this rule it shall
either warn him and give him time to comply or penalize him.

As the 2.4 gig aerials are so short, most regatta sailing instructions modify E1.5 to exempt 2.4 gig radios.

I will mention it if I see an unprotected aerial, but like I said, it’s been done mostly out of good sense.

BTW- not all regattas are run under the RRS, as in the ISAF RRS. I am suprised if I go to one, or if the sailors know what RRS are. It’s more like just drag racing; around three marks, and the “fastest boat” wins. Most people don’t know how to tell what tack they’re on. :rolleyes:

Hey Tomo, maybe it`s about time you attended a “Proper” Regatta.
One were the entrants were serious about their racing and observation of the RRS rules.

You just may enjoy some structure to your yachting with people who respect each other, their knowledge and their boats.
Cheers my friend.

I saw a quote recently. Cannot give the credit though.

“Know rules; know racing. No Rules; no racing.” :zbeer:

It was on my Einsten’s coffee mug:

No coffee, no peace.
Kniw coffeem know peace.

Ian,

What you said is what worries me some.

I know some guys that want to go to the RCCR each year, but the same people don’t have a proper grasp of the rules, and seem to be only aware of only some of them. I would expect these people would be doing circles constantly the whole time.

Since we’ve started fooling with the Footies in my club, we’ve talked about having Footy regatta “one day” so maybe it would be a good time to do the regatta with all the rules, and all the other stuff. I think the local yacht club might even help with the officiating. :zbeer:

cheers

An excellent idea, Tomo.

Maybe a racing seminar some time before the event to help those new comers get to grips with the rules and tactics and then some strict observance by a strong race officer on the day.:devil3:

If you want an experienced strict and independent R/O, then your club just needs to pay my airfare, accommodation and breakfast, for me to be there for you. :graduate: :zbeer:

Independent??? I think it depends on everyone buying you pints! :sly: the only problem with that is that beer (it’s cold & has a bitter aftertaste) comes in cans, and are short of a pint.

Tomo I used to play golf using the “foot wedge” on a many occasions. it wasn’t until I played in some tourneys and started golfing by strict rules did I have a lot more fun with the game. I think sailing is the same way. its nice to go out and sail and tool around but when two bats are together and “racing” its nice to know that when on stbd tack if someone port tacks and slam s into you there are penalties for the behavior. Ie its no fun getting taken out of race by someone who doesn’t care about the rules.

In our local club we basically excommunicated a guy. we hated to do it, but he was constantly making the same mistakes over and over again… port tacks, barging, overtaking boat not keeping clear, ect. It was tiresome, so we finally told him to learn the rules or he’s not welcome…What made it worse was the fact the he raced large sail boats at one point in time in his life, and he felt that he could just NASCAR his way around the course with the model boats.

I got taken out in the Soling nationals this past year. i was a B-fleet boat for much of the day and I had gotten into “A” fleet and was above the transfer point by 1/2 dozen spots… were wer running down wind about 50-80’ away from the dock main boom was on port tack and the guy coming from behind was on starboard. and we ended up getting tangled up. And we both ended up finishing dead last… I had a broken vang and he finished the race. but we both got moved back to the B fleet. Heres a point where he could have bore away and called a protest. and still finished respectably… but he pushed and pushed until we collided and screwd both of us out of good finishing places. wheres the fun in that…

It will interesting to see how ting go at orlando…the footy is such a skittish little boat it will be easy to foul and get protested. Sailing a clean race and staying out of trouble will go a long way to a good finish…

the RRS are availbale in PDF format. its pretty boring reading but if the guys you sail with aren’t following t he RRS who’s to say they a re following your class rules and building class legal boats…

FWIW I have moved my Spektrum antenna’s to inside the controller. so no more protrusions. the spektrum antenna are weak points anyhow…

I think the RO for my club re-wrote the RRS to something that simple minds (they put red tape on stb. and green tape on port side of boat) can grasp. It’s not bad, but the only problem I have is when someone asks about what tack he’s on, and the answer is, " what side is the boom on?" Which is not correct. The boom ONLY determines your tack whem sailing “by the lee.”

Those are the serious sailors…? :confused:

the side of the boat the wind hits first is easy to remember, or whatever side is opposite the main boom is the tack… so boom on port, you are on stbd tack…wind hit the port side of the boat first, you are port tack…

there is a easy method to remember the basic rules using the word STARBOARD but I can’t remember it…so I guess its not that easy to remember…:slight_smile:

the rules are confusing, but races are won by those who understand the rules the best…

Nope, sorry. The main boom does NOT determine your tack except when sailing by-the-lee. The definition of TACK is determined by the side the wind is on. For most ordinary cases for noobs, the boom thing might work, but that’s not the rule, and noobs get to thinking that it’s the rule. Try that with the big boats and see what happens. You can easily have the boom on the port side and be on a starboard tack, especially on light air days.

I thought you were good on the rules, Marc?

This is another area where the current rules don’t really fit radio sailing. The only thing observable by both skippers is the boom position. Hailing “starboard” when your boom says “port” and your wind indicator (if you have one) says something else won’t carry the day in events I’ve been in, IMHO.

I’m in the middle of writing a guide for newbies, and the current rules are a sea lawyers delight when it comes to Part 2, Section C. All special cases, no guiding principle, caveats, exceptions, encouragement of gamesmanship and hitting boats instead of marks, etc. Just look at some of the rules blogs and see how long it takes to sort out a situation that a radio skipper has to handle in the 6-8 seconds it takes to get from the zone boundary to the mark, with sight line and depth perception vagaries.

The old principle of the Vanderbilt Rules, “A yacht shall attempt to win a race only by fair sailing and superior speed” is long gone, alas.

Sorry for the hijack, it’s just that remarks like yours trigger my “let’s kill all the lawyers” reaction. I’d love to continue this discussion, but let’s start another thread to do it in.

Cheers,

Earl

You’d think there would be something in appendix E of the RRS to help a radio sailor determine the tack, but beuracracy probably didn’t let it in yet, IF there was a good way to figure your tack.

Back on Topic,

AFAIK, all the modeling association I was ever a member of required you to have a channel card on the antenna. So until the rules get updated, there needs to be an unopfficall collaboration between modellers on some kind of card for the 2.4 GHz radios.

I’m all for the first one somebody can draw up. Maybe a card with a “G” on on it with 2.4 under the G. Easy enough.

Maybe someone can embellish what is below.

but why bother…the 2.4 don’t have the potential interference/control issues that the crystal radios have when two or more, rx’s and tx’s are all on the same channel.

one of the control/interference issues that a 2.4 could have would be if two guys in close enough proximity were binding their rx/tx at teh same time to get two of the rx’s bound to one tx. but even then the skipper who rx is not bound to his radio would know it right away (ie no control) and rebind…

were do you propose to put the 2.4 emblem? As some folks have relocated their antenna inside the TX so there is no longer a protrusion and it eliminates a weak point(breakage) on the radio.

I’m still trying to figure out the point of the discussion?

Marc & Tomo - very simple … remove the beanie hat propeller and replace with a 4 sided cube labled “2.4” so it can be read from any side by competitors. :wink:

I’m suggesting a green color to let others know NOT to be concerned about frequency - since you really won’t know.

On the other hand, the guys with crystal radios should have their labeled in RED, since they are the ones of concern. :rolleyes: