Footy race at the Wooden Boat show in Mystic

Dare I ask? Is there a rain date planned? Forecast as of now is for isolated thunder storms.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/wxdetail/USCT0129?dayNum=3

I seem to be asking this question a lot lately. I wish this weather pattern would change!

I’m ashamed I haven’t made an exposed-wood boat special for the contest as most have done. There are a LOT of BEAUTIFUL boats posted here so far. I’ll just be using 'ol faithful.

free beer! I wasn’t slighted…but now I am!

Don’t be ashamed, Allan…just come and have fun! A little water won’t hurt the boat or the skipper!!

I’ll be getting home from Omaha about 2-3:00am Saturday, getting a few hours sleep, then picking up Ronnie Jones and heading for Mystic. We should be there by about 11:00.

Gareth, any recommendation on available parking or advise to minimize the time it will take to get in and find the Footy venue?

Bill

I’m on the fence. I’ll make a day of the show decision. If I come down it will by by car just to make things easier rather than trying to deal with parking the RV. I am getting some pressure from my wife to do something else, so if the weather is marginal I may go that route. I’ll post here in the morning when I make a decision. I’d really hate to miss two contests in a row.

On a topic un-related to the weather, has there been any thought about loosening up the rig restrictions for this event? I’m thinking it will help with the changing tide/wind issues and also keep with the ‘fun’ theme. I’d hate to pick the wrong rig and then end up finding out that my storm rig is also inadequate to handle the tide.

We’ll stick with the fun theme, any rig is O.K.

Bob Fritz called me, apparently the race is scheduled to be held at “Lighthouse point”. I’ll decide on the day if that’s a viable option at slack water

I have been trying to find Lighthouse Point with no success, but I am continuing to search. Being 12 hours away by car, this is not a bad way to get of vision of what the area is like.

I went to Google Maps and entered “11 west main st mystic ct” which is adjacent to the Mystic Drawbridge. What a monster. Go over the bridge and you are in another town apparently.

Next go to Street View and there your are on main street. Pan around to see the shops, etc…

Go out to the center of the bridge and look up and down the river. Click on photos to see more details.

I am still looking for Lighthouse Point. Does anyone have an address?

S

Found the Lighthouse. It is a broad point of land about 1/2 mile north of the drawbridge. It is on the eastern shore and the lighthouse is not a functional landmark. There are a number of large ships around this point. This may be the area were the Footy races will be held. We will have to wait and see.

I did go up to I-95 to a lookout point as an observer and was able to see the waterway looking south to the lighthouse. One of the photos which shows a lot of colorful sails and the lighthouse is clearly visable in this view. This looks like a large body of water for a Footy race.

Lighthouse point is on the Mystic Museum property. there’s a lighthouse (fake) on a point.

There are docks just inside the point. I wil be able to rope off an area there.

Great choice!

Sorry guys, I’m not going to make it. I hope you all end up on the sunny side of the 30% precipitation forecast and have a great day!

Thanks everyone, hope you all got home O.K.

Thanks Gareth. I think everyone had a great time!
Scott

Well, I had a great time. :slight_smile:

Here’s one of the starts:

I had the lead there for about 2 seconds. I finished consistently second-to-last. And didn’t sink. I’m pleased. This was my Footy’s maiden voyage and I’ve never sailed a r/c yacht before.

I liked this shot. Note how I’ve assumed my next-to-last position already:

The Footy’s got a lot of attention from the crowd. I let a few kids take turns sailing mine.

Here it looks like I’m in the lead but actually I’m hung up on a mooring line and 25 and 27 are lapping me. They were the two fastest boats I think.

I think with a little tuning my boat would have performed better. I mounted the rig too far aft and it made it hard to control. The wind was overpowering the rudder and steering the boat. I’m looking forward to some fine tuning and some more racing. :slight_smile:

Steven

Here is a video of one of the races:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHqFDEXt1Tg

Nice pics/vid…thanks.

We really didn’t do much racing…just a few heats. Since there wasn’t an opportunity to practice first, several boats weren’t really ready. But it didn’t matter, because the crowd was immediately captivated by Footys and we were mobbed with spectators. So many people crowded around to talk about our boats and wanting to try sailing them that we gave up any attempt to race. I spent the next few hours talking non-stop Footy talk and my transmitter was never in my own hands! I know the rest of the guys were doing the same.

It turned out to be a great day for sharing the fun of Footys…I think some new boats will be on the water as a result of the good feelings people got about our sport.

Thanks to WoodenBoat for the chance to participate, and thanks to all the Footy skippers who made it a great day for so many people.

Let’s do it again next year! I’ve got some ideas for an even better day.

Bill

I know Fed posed for Tennis mag on one of the wimby editions holding a wooden racquet. Does anyone have vid of any pros hitting with wood?

There’s now a slideshow up on the wooden boat site. Click on the pictures of Footys http://www.thewoodenboatshow.com/

Well we are going to be doing it again, I have work commitments for that weekend and cannot be there. I will help as much as I can from afar.