Footy race at the Wooden Boat show in Mystic

Thanks for all the suggestions, I’m learning more every day and I’ll work to include most, with the glaring exception of Angus’ political views.

My footy hull is indeed made 100% of wood, specifically 1/64 ply with 1/8" lite-ply formers, even the deck is wood. My rudder is carbon-fiber. I hope that won’t disqualify me from participating. I’m hoping to come down for the contest.

Although my hull is all wood, I painted it, but inside it can be inspected to prove that it is indeed all wood.

Footy Razor-II at its best. Sails great. Bill Hagerup designs great boats!

Al

http://pease1.sr.unh.edu/aew/rc/footy/Razor2/

Thanks Allan, are you planning on entering?

The notice of ace has been put up…

http://www.thewoodenboatshow.com/footy.php

Carl Cramer,

the editor of wooden boat magazine has been so kindly to post (today ) on his blog my wooden catboat model and the footy class as “the wooden boat of the week”
( by the way… see “semiscale footy thread” )

Without doubt a kindly appreciation of our small yachts and a lot of expetations about the growing potential of the “wooden branch” footy community

He is looking to have a nice event at Mystic, and it seems to me that his magazine is also looking to have a growing focus on this topic.

Not so bad :slight_smile:

Flavio

Folgore ITA 5
Presto ITA 13
Brando ITA 14

So it looks like we’ll be around the corner by the Seaman’s Inn on a roped off course at slack tide. :slight_smile:

I’m really looking forward to entering my first Footy regatta. :smiley: That is if I can get it all sorted out by then. I’ve got the hull made and the keel, mast tube and rudder tube glued in. I still need to figure out the whole r/c business.

Steven

I’m only a couple hours drive west on 25, so if you need help give me a call. You could come over and play :wink:

Bill H

Make sure you have some largish signs to put up in the area as it’s not obvious to the foot traffic where you’ll be, especially if WB has, as they usually do, the “low rent” vendors in a tent there.

Cheers,

Earl

Yes, I do plan on entering! I’m undecided if I’m going to drive down myslef (or mayby Carpool with Bill H) or if I’ll take the RV down with my wife. It all depends on if they allow RV parking at the show.

My Footy for Mystic is in progress…a more traditional look to honor the WoodenBoat event. The hull is based on Razor, but narrower, a lot more freeboard, and with a nicely curved sheer. It will even have a cabin!

Bill H

I’ve just found out that there is no entrance fee to the show for competitors. I hope that extends to me too.

That’s cool. My hull and mechanicals are done. Now I just need to work on the sail rigs. After the big boat is launched on Thursday I should have a little more free time.

Steven

Is putting up a 1 foot deep kids rent-a-pool out of the question to get around all the problems of tides, jellyfish, boat wakes, salt water, lost boats, etc…?

And there may also be rent-a-fans. :slight_smile:

I’m going to rope off the area and have floats. There should be no jellyfish. I’ll talk to the launch drivers and salt water is what it’s all about.

I’m bringing my own fans, oh you mean things that blow … no wait.

Just finished my Mystic Footy (I guess it’s a Razor3)…the race this weekend will be its first trials. I went with a more traditional look in honor of the WoodenBoat Show. There’s some pics attached. See you on the 27th!

Bill H

Looks cool and fast Bill, will it have an “aero” rig?

Gareth, I’ll be using the same rigs I’ve used on Cobras, though I took the Cobra emblem off…everyone thought it looked more like a parakeet anyway :smiley:

It could be a fast boat…if Scott or Jim were sailing it :zbeer:

Bill,

your new model is a nice example of balanced compromise between nice look and good performances

I have no doubts that this new model will show her stern to many other skippers and that will also be an head - turner

Once again your "take it easy - let’s have fun " approach will be an example to follow

I am looking forward to see many nice pictures of this footy sailing close to my catboat and many other wooden footies

By the way : thanks to the succesful effort of my “human resources” deputy manager ( the well known Frank Thorley ) my Brando will have Robert C Fritze as skipper - sharing the fun with carl cramer ( wooden boat magazine editor )

I wish you a lot of fun !

Flavio

ps : now Mystic event can be declared as a true “international” contest

I was wrong on this sorry, I’ll gladly buy a beer for those who feel slighted.

OK, I’ll take a Geary’s Imperial IPA. :slight_smile:

Here is my Footy with her light air rig. what do you think?

Steven