do you have to have money to go fast?

I think us Canadians are going to get a reputation for frugality.
Must be all the Scottish blood!

Michael Sharmer proves it can be done. He must have some scots or canadian in him…
[:-bouncy]

Lemme jump in a sec-
Was informally racing my Soling against two rather Highly ragrded US One meters, and I knew very well I couldn’t beat them. This didn’t bother me that much at the outset because it was fun to try to see how well I could keep up with them, and in one race I was beat by one of them by a mere four inches or so of boat lenght. IT is interesting how little all these expensive modifacations make much of a difference when compared to good old boat handling and sail set up.

It turns out I have this old boat I made about six years ago which is just a tad longer than the USOM rules so I sawed off about three quarters of an inch from the bow to make it legal. I’m going to make some single panel straight luff sails for about ten bucks, a pine mast, screw eye goose neck, soling type mast jack, stick in some servos and away we go. The boat only cost me about thirty bucks to make because its nothing but balsa and paint with some epoxy inside at the frame joints. the fin is made from nothing but a pine board, and the bulb is cast resin and buckshot in the shape of a cigar. so like maybe fifty bucks for the boat minus radio. It won’t beat the hard coar guys and I’m comfortable with that because you never know I might irritate them anyway which would be fun if you know what I mean.