Build Log: IOM

lintel…

Hi Marc,

Have you given consideration to making a 2 piece mold as described by Claudio. The beauty of this system is that you have no problems with butting the 2 halves together and no problems with release issues?

Just a thought as you are sort of starting from scratch with the procedure you’re currently using.

Tony

Sorry I wrote this at about page 5 without reading to the last post

Tony

no worries tony.

But yes my keel and rudder mold were two peice molds… maybe next time… now that I have a nice keel and a nice rudder. In theory I could use them as plugs to make a mold…

Maybe next time… :slight_smile:

More pics to follow later today as painting has begun #1 rig and sails are finished #2 sails are done rig not quite…

I did get the keel down to 2490 grams. Yes I know its ten grams light but The smallest measurement on my digital scale is 5 grams and depending on how I placed the keel it would read 2495 or 2490 so I figure Id rather be a wee bit light and be able to add weight vie paint than be heavy and have to sand and repaint to shave grams…

ok so I’m a bit late on the photos… sorry…

#1 rig and #2 rig with a sail bag all homemade

keel is a creed blade with a bantock bulb.

white hull is creeds Lintel

blue hull is bantocks vivid design.

paint still not done yet. cold weather hampers painting…

I hope to get feet wet in a couple weeks…

not much hope on the horizon for getting the boat measured though…

Marc,
Your boats and rigs look great. Did you make the sails yourself? If so, amazing! I’ve been following this build with interest as there are a lot of IOMs sailed out here. I currently sail a T37 locally which has been great fun, but the IOM is also alluring. I’ve purchased the plans for BG’s Alternative. I want to build an RG65 first as a test run and then move up to the IOM. (RG65 will be Claudio’s EsteralH after seeing your good results with it.) After seeing a Cantun that one of our T37 guys just received, I’m thinking purchasing a fin will be a good choice. Are you satisfied with the Creed fin, as that’s what I was thinking of. How did the fin work out with the Bantock bulb?

Can I also ask what you use for the tell tales on the sails? They look great.

Luke

Luke…

good call on starting on a small boat first…

I had to add some epoxy and lead shot to create a nice slot for the creed fin. I have seen the creed bulb as well from a friends build and it is also a nice piece of hardware. not sure of creeds bulb price. but his price on his foils is really really nice. just don’t be in a rush.

if you buy a creed fin either RG or IOM also purchase the keel box. its a nice setup. in fact I would buy a few of them that way when you decide to build a new boat you already have a some on hand so you can transfer your foils to another boat…

Eric rosebaum also makes some nice foils for the RG…

my tell tales are orange and blue ripstop nylon with some seam stick fabric tape. are you stateside? I can send you some of the nylon. provided you like the colors orange and blue.

but folks also like VCR and cassette tape for tell tales…

Yes I did make the sails using the Claudio tool

I have a large plotter so I was able to plot the sails full size with a cad program and print them out…

main paint work is done. after a few days I’ll mask off the decks and shoot em in gloss white…

hopefully might make it on the water next weekend…

Well…got the first coat of spar varnish on last night…

Shiny

Hi Marc,

Nice paint work. Love the dark blue and orange waterline on the Vivid. Is anyone else in your area building or sailing IOMs?

I’m out in Port Townsend, WA now, but used to live in Bethesda, and then Annapolis. I actually sailed a basically stock Victoria with you guys once or twice before we picked up and moved cross country. I got the ERC foil package from Brighton for Christmas, so that should make the RG65 come to together a bit quicker. I’m generally not able to build any faster than glacier pace so it may be a while before anything is ready to share. I’ll make some tell tales from cassette tape first and test the visibility. Thanks for the tip regarding the extra fin box for the IOM. I’ll definitely source at least the fin from Creed. Really good feedback all round.

I’m out of town this weekend, but planning to clean up the workshop and start cutting frames for the Esteral next week. I taped up the fin and keel for the RG65 last night, that’s quite a bit of righting moment to work with for such a small boat. Should be pretty quick.

Luke

Richmond VA has a few IOMs on the water… and are hosting an annual regatta in april so we’ll see if we can get an “east coast” iom crew going…

The MDMYC sails odoms and seawinds side by side for normal racing, they also sail victoria’s So I may venture out with the IOM and see if I can beat up on the odoms…

weight budget so far

Rig 290 (added a corrector weight to the #2 rig to make it the same weight as the #1) no jib counter weight
Hull Lintel 710
Hull Vivid 745
Keel 2490
Rudder 35
Bat Heavy 120
Bat Light 50
Bumper 10

Lintel Heavy 3645
Lintel Light 3585

Vivid Heavy 3690
Vivid Light 3620

I still have one more coat of varnish, and deck paint to go. but i can’t see that adding more than 50 grams… and need to make the choice as to set the boat up for the light battery (1000 mah lipo) or the heavy 1800 mah lipo.

If I set up for the light batty then it woudl be over weight with the heavy one… but if I set up for the heavy one. I’d never legally be able to run the light one Unless I run the jib counter weight… and a second battery…

no matter what it look slike I’m still going to need almost 300grams of corrector weight in each hull

finally finished the cradle

Nice looking stand.

So is yours…

If I had followed the instructions and not gotten “cute” with my own modifications to the design it would have been a much easier build.

Its a very KISS type of cradle. simple design, multiple methods of holding/handling the boat. I was even contemplating putting a strap that holds the hull in the cradle arms.

my cross bars are mortised, and all of my screw holes were counter sunk and capped the handle is 3/4" copper tube here a few pics before varnish and finish work.

I have my second cradle about 90% complete. I had to do some significant modification to the arms to hold the wide beam of the lintel

Very nice job on the cradle/carriers Marc.

Dick

Build Log IOM Esterel…

So I will continue with this build log but add another hull. I started building a plank on frame of Claudios Esterel design.

lan is to get a descent wood hull, but prior to pulling the hull off the board. I’ll pop off one or two fiberglass hulls… Just in case its a good design… Hope springs eternal…the RG65 version has done well… have 2/5 of the hull planked so far.

So cool - one day I’ll get planking that looks like that.

As an aside, I have started playing around with 3d printers. They now filaments that have metals in them. You get copper etc.
here’s an example…http://colorfabb.com/copperfill

It could be quite a cool option for wooden hulls to print fittings in that if you don’t have the tools (or skill in my case) to do it by hand.
Food for thought?

Nap…
We’ll see how it turns out. This is my first plank on frame wooden hull…

Hi, it is rather easy to calculate the expected bare hull weight.
Example :
Assume a total Hull surface of 28.5dm²
Assume you will use 3 layers of glass epoxy of 80g/m²
then :
Expected weight will be : 0.8g + 0.8g + 0.8g x 2 (for resin) x 28.5 dm² = 136.80g

The easy way is to weight the tissue shaped for the hull coverage + a margin of ~2cm
Prepare the epoxy resin for the same weight amount. This is based on the common 50/50 proportion.

ClaudioD