Angus Richardson

It is with great sadness that I have to inform you of the death of Angus Richardson. He died in hospital in North Wales on Wednesday 6th April undergoing what would have been to you and me a routine procedure - but I guess with Angus’ underlying health problems nothing was going to be simple.

It is just possible that those of you who have come to Footys in the last 12 months may never have come across Angus, Variously known as “The Ogre” or “Our Leader” he was responsible in no small part for getting the Footy where it is today - at least in the U.K… His general knowledge was vast to the extent of it being quite difficult to keep his conversations on track - but it wasn’t bllsit and a lot of it came from personal experience. He took no prisoners and his powers of persuasion were formidable - to be Angused was an experience not to be missed.

Details are sparse at this early stage and I will update this thread when I know more.

firstfooty
Trevor Thomas Sailing Secretary Footy U.K.

This an e-mail I received few hours ago from Barry Phillips :

[i]It is with deep regret that I have to inform you that Angus Richardson has passed away peacefully at Wrexham Maelor Hospital.

Angus died 04:30hrs on 6 April at Wrexham Maelor Hospital where he was being treated for a urine infection. In the end it was Acute Kidney failure and Pneumonia.

The funeral is on for Friday next week 11:00am at Bangor crematorium and after a pub named The Abbeyfield Hotel in Tal-y-Bont. LL57 3UR.

Can you please pass this message onto others who knew Angus?

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Regards
Barry Phillips
Tel: 01248 602 519
Mobile: 07876 387 453[/i]

What a sad day for his family and for Footydom.
I greatly appreciated his enthusiasm, wit and intellect and have greatly missed his posts over the last year.
The number and quality of the posts in the Footy forum have fallen since his presence diminished - an impossible personality to replace.
There must be some way we can immortalize/memoralize his substantial contribution, on this site and in the Footy World.

Trevor - thank you for posting and letting us know of his passing. He was quite a guy, and my regret is never having met him face-to-face. We traded barbs, ideas and theories and from him I gained much more insight. He will be missed by the community at large, and even more so by those fortunate enough to have been able to share his knowledge and passion.

I can only wish him fair winds and calm seas. If possible, please extend my condolences to his family.

With regards,

Dick Lemke
Hastings, Minnesota USA

Formula 48, US 1 Meter, RG65 and 65M
AMYA 11530

Well,

Even with his underlying health problems I thought that this day would never come, such was the force of his personality. I will miss the late night phone calls that went on till the early hours and left me bleary in the morning and with a head full of distractions as I tried to concentrate on work.

I too am saddened that I never had the opportunity to share a pint or two with him and have a conversation at a decent hour. I started my back and forth with him early on in the beginning of Footy development when what we have today was still being molded. He was a tireless advocate for our little boats and convinced of their value as a test bed for ideas that would take too long and cost too much to do with larger boats. He was always curious and had something to add from his vast archive of interests, even if it took him a while to get to his point.

When he found out that I was making artwork based on geometric relationships he eagerly wanted to send me a couple of books on crystallography from the Soviet Union that he had come across. I told him that I couldn’t read Cyrillic and politely declined, but such were his enthusiasms.

I will miss Angus. I hope that where ever he is he will be busy at his drawing board, probing new ideas in the comfort of a celestial library.

Trevor, if you can, please pass my condolences on to his family.

Niel Goodrich

A sad day indeed. My condolences to all who knew him.

Earl

I was fortunate to count Angus as one of my good and true friends. Trevor sent me a note that I got this morning…and I’m not over it yet. I was thinking about the last time I saw Angus…his birthday bash…and how great it was to see him up and enjoying himself with good food and good friends. We were planning another visit this year…

I will miss him a great deal.

As I told Trevor, I fervently hope that he is in kind and gentle hands in a wonderful place where all beautiful women love ogres.

Goodby my good friend.

RIP Angus,Like Niel I shared many phone calls with Angus at strange hours,I learn’t a great deal from him.In the end we didn’t see eye to eye but I am very glad to have known him.
Keep the lines coming mate…

Angus in happier days at Gosport ~ beer in one hand ~ transmitter in the other

He was truly a remarkable persoality who will be sorely missed.

Despite not being a footy sailor, I too received a couple of calls from him. His enthusiasm was clear and catching and I thought he was trying to get a Spanish registrar. Rest in peace, Angus.

I will miss Angus.
I was “Angussed” in late 2007, and met him a couple of weeks later at the St. Modyn Trophy
Good friend immediately
Here he is on a very happy day

And this is his birthday bash last year

Thanks Angus; a pleasure to know you
andrew

It is always sad to hear of the passing of one of those we have come to value through the medium of these internet forums.
I too, as many here, have been on the end of an Angus explanation/ opinion/ lesson/ crusade.
He was a most highly intelligent and interesting character.
We shall all miss him. Rest in peace my friend.

Ian N Hull-Brown
Wellington
New Zealand.

I heard about Angus early on Friday morning from Andrewh, and like Bill - I am still not over hearing about the sad news.

Angus was a very dear friend - who could really be the Ogre he professed to be…

…but behind that persona was the very best “old fart” ( his words - not mine ! ) that you could ever hope to meet… and to share an interest as well as his friendship was a real privilege.

Like others here - I knew him only during recent years - due to my model yacht making… and his amazing enthusiasm for the fledgeling Footy Class.

He and I spoke regularly on the telephone.
Whilst he was at home in Colwyn Bay, I learned that it was usually OK to 'phone at 2 in the morning - due to our ill health, we were often both awake.

So - it was usually in the middle of the night that we discussed Footy models - and also Footy politics…
He told me a few times that he’d just been on the 'phone to New Zealand !

Since he had moved to Pendine Park, I was able to telephone him only on Sundays ( and not good telephoning a care home after midnight ! ) - so today is most definitely an uneasy day for me.

Since his birthday I visited him a few times in his new home - and I saw first hand how his health had again begun to decline, with repetetive infections…
I know he had not been in a wheelchair since his ‘birthday bash’… which he enjoyed immensely.

He was possibly the most friendly Footy modeller I have met, kind and generous - and with a friendship that depended upon no outside influences.
Your personal opinions made no difference whatsoever to the way he felt about you.

He said he was an atheist - yet he ended every telephone conversation with “God bless”…
So - I hope that all angels love Ogres - and that they have always a plentiful supply of ‘Old Speckled Hen’ for him…!

I shall miss him greatly.
He was truly another whose time came much too early…

Goodbye Angus. God bless…

Very nice, Keven…and thanks to all for the rememberences…Andrew, thanks for the picture when we sailed for his birthday. If he’s looking down on us, I’m sure Angus is doing a “bah, humbug” thing about all this sentimental talk…once an ogre, always an ogre. I guess I’ll never understand out how such a crotchety old fart could be so endearing at the same time.

I miss him.

Bill

Hello Bill,

I’ve been sat up, thinking… then I noticed your comment !

A ‘crotchety’ old fart ?
Wherever did you get that idea ?

Now c’mon - I didn’t actually post that.
Nevertheless - I like it.

I have aspirations of one day becoming the same kind of crotchety old fart as was Angus.
I know that would meet with his full approval.

Keven. :slight_smile:

Angus was a man who challenged my thinking, to depths that I had never thought of.

I really have no words at the moment.

He will be missed.

RIP.

I just joined this forum for the sole purpose of posting to this thread.

I first met Angus over 40 years ago in 1970 when we were undergraduates at Oxford, where I read Modern Languages at Keble and he Jurisprudence at Exeter. We were introduced by a mutual friend named Richard Judd who went on to become a curator of oriental manuscripts at the Bodleian library. After a few seconds of small talk, Angus roared at me,” You have the most extraordinary vowels. How do you form them?” “With my mouth”, I shot back and we immediately became close friends.

With his vast intellect, witty conversation and larger-than-life personality, Angus quickly became a minor celebrity at university. His rooms were a chaotic midden heap of books, ordnance survey maps, tools, pipes and tins of St Bruno flake, overflowing ashtrays and booze bottles in various stages of depletion. The floors were ankle deep in his detritus.

Several chairs were arranged in a circle in one room, and Angus would hold court with several students at any hour of the day or night. All manner of topics were debated, and he would ruthlessly, yet with great humour, demolish anyone on a point of fact or as matter of logic.

He had a photographic memory and could master almost any subject with breathtaking speed. One night, while conversing with a don who was an authority on Anglo Saxon, Angus corrected the great man’s grammar in parsing some ancient poetry, and he was right. Cheeky devil.

As students we drove all over England, admiring Gothic architecture, Victorian railways and prehistoric forts. Angus was especially interested in the engineering of Isambard Kingdom Brunel, and we must have visited every bridge, tunnel and building Brunel ever erected.

We both loved to travel. We motored through Scotland (1975), and from Liverpool to Vienna (1976), dossing in his car and living mainly on a liquid diet. Later we drove through Spain (1987) and the Northeasten United States (1997).

After working for years in computing, Angus decided to put his formidable linguistic talents to use and set up his own translation firm. The first contract he landed called for translating into English some highly technical Dutch treatise, and he executed the assignment brilliantly, notwithstanding the undisclosed fact that he knew at the time not a single word of Dutch. Armed with an old Dutch dictionary and his deep knowledge of similar languages (English, German and Swedish) he simply learned Dutch as he went along. Cheeky devil to bid on that contract.

You who met him in his declining years can only imagine what he was like as an energetic young adult.

Angus was of course a consummate sailor. His father, John “Dick” Richardson, in his day one of Britain’s leading yachtsmen, was instrumental in resurrecting off-shore cruising and racing after the war. Angus once joked that he was probably conceived on a boat. The sea was in his blood, and in his younger days he sailed all over the British Isles and Europe. I once crewed with him on some race in horrific weather, and you can imagine the tongue-lashing he gave me when, turning about, I let slip a winch handle into the Irish Sea.

I think he took to footy as an invalid in order to maintain his connexion to sailing, and I know he enjoyed your company immensely. I too received many phone calls at all hours. Thank you for posting in this thread the photos of him and I am touched by the tributes. If anybody has other photos or stories of him, I would be delighted to see them. You may email me at m j o k @ y a h o o . c o m. (I put in the spaces to defeat spiders and spambots - all you need do is remove them.)

Thank you for reading this.

Evil Ogre, I will never encounter anyone like you again. May you rest in peace.

Mason

Mason,

That’s fantastic - many thanks for such a personal insight…!

I am certain he has mentioned you to me in his mid-night meanderings - travelling around in a Citroen (?) and getting away with allsorts…
Also stories of speeding around in flash Italian cars ( Alfas - not Ferraris ), fixing yachts in Gibraltar so he could get home, etc. etc.

I knew of Angus’ interest with Brunel - he was similarly fascinated with structures - of any kind.
Bridges, castles, steam engines, and of course - yachts.

Also his amazing ability with languages… often he would slip into an ‘English dialect’ of the country in which the story he was telling was set - which made them even more funny.

Your description of his university rooms mirrors the way his house was arranged… I shall avoid the detritus here…!

Although a little more tidy than you describe (!) - there was the tobacco, the half-consumed cups of tea and bottles of fluids, various papers with scribblings and sketches… and BOOKS !
Every room - books. On shelves - on the floor… everywhere… and in many languages.

I wonder what has happened to all that reference material - a library in itself.
He gave me two - which I shall treasure…

Thanks again for taking the time,

Keven. :slight_smile:

What wonderful tales and memories we all have of Angus
I think it is so nice that we can all speak so well of him.

Mason thank you for your input I will take you up on your offer and pm you

Best wishes to all