2Meter Monsters

…and let’s not forget about the “other” class of multihulls being sailed. Here is a photo of a few 2 Meter boats from a regatta in France this past summer. Yes they look really cool. Yes they are pretty fast. And yes - they are big !

with a platform size of 6 feet by 6 feet and a mast nearly 9 feet tall - sail area is unlimited by what can be mounted on the available legal mast length. Would be great fun to get a photo of one of these sailing with/next too a Victoria ThunderTiger … or a “Footy” ! [:D]

and which is yours??? (grin!!)

_/ if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it! _

http://wismerhell.esmartdesign.com/index.htm

Please do not post such questions in public. The wife hasn’t thought to ask yet -only a matter of time![:D]

Actually - depending on how well the F-48 does when done - may prompt me to hit the “enlarge” button on copier and bump the lines up to 2 Meters instead of 1.2 for the F-48. Would be kind of cool to have a “stable” of similar shaped boats at the various different sizes. Seeing that Jack Ronda’s scaled down Mini40 PULSE seems to sail well as a 1 Meter - I am going to assume that upscale will also work. I actually do have the foam already - and had done paper templates of MIDNIGHT OIL, but I really like the more modern look of Jean Margail’s trimaran WATER RESIST.

BUT … F-48 is next priority![8]

talking about the wife…hahaha I didnt tell mine how small the mini40 is…I just said something like: "just as about as the Seawind; just a bit more “squarish” and the mast is a bit “higher”; nothing to worry anyway!
I might get into troubles…any ideas on how to introduce the “thing”?

But back to topic…or I ll be moderated (self? [;)]); the 2 meters look huge…but very nice.

Hint -----

the excuse that "It just followed me home" … usually doesn’t work too well - so think up another.

One of the guys at work came up with the idea of taking the foam plug after you are done shaping, and slice it at equal intervals cross wise but along the full length. Take the slices of foam and trace around and you will wind up with cross sections. Cut out from luan plywood and respace in order on a building board and you wind up with a set of sections over which you can strip-build. Neat idea for quick, one-off attempts at new design ideas.

Thought I would pass it along as a building tip/hint.

Pretty amazing.
I would prefer 1.78 Meters thou since that length would fit exactly into my station waggon. [:D]

ye, 1.5m is good for me cause it fits in the back of dads ute diagonally, i reckon we can just get 2 of them in diagonally, well, i guess we will find out in a few weeks

I see said the blind man to the crippled nudist who put his hands in his pockets & promptly walked away.

The way to introduce your new boat to your wife:

1: Just go and say: Hey honey i bought a new boat / Rc.-boat

If she goes absolutely nuts / ape**** about it, just tell her that you were just kidding /dreaming / whatever .
If she get mad first but after a while starts to ask questions about it, go Buy the damned thing :slight_smile:

Thats how my father sold our car and bought our first sailboat with the money about 30 years ago :slight_smile:

• HJ

“Expertice is gained trough mistakes. However repeating
same mistake is not learning but stupidity.”

btw, why and who decided the size of the multis, why multi1, or mini40/F48 and 2meters?..I always was thinking about that?!! wondering

Wis

The Mini40 was a scaled down version of the full size Formula40 racers of the late 1980’s - early 1990’s.

The MultiONE was the brainchild of Kris Harig and Doug Lord. Was a size that Doug said was long enough for foils and had no limit to width - since the Mini40 had a maximum beam width. Unfortunately - even with the available option no foilers ever were produced by Doug to fit this class - that I am aware of. Also had a “Sport” version using available 1 Meter rigs with smaller sail area.

2 Meter - not sure, except it may have been the Mini40 guys deciding to limit mast height, yet have a bigger boat than the Mini40 for easier sailing performance. Also - most agree that the Mini40 was a bit “over canvassed” with too much sail area for it’s size/length.

The also used to be a 36 inch version that was actually AMYA recognized here in the US in late 1980’s. They were a strong class out in California, but small boat and poor performance caused that class to fail.

Again, … it seems to be acknowledged by most that the larger the multihull - the easier and better it sails. Although an effort to promote a 3 Meter class by a couple of guys fell through and info and websites have since been deleted.

Personally - even a 1 meter multihull takes up a lot of room in vehicle during travel if the hulls and cross beams are fixed and can’t be dis-assembled. A Mini40 platform in size is the same as 1/2 sheet of plywood. Try fitting that into most cars and even that is an issue.

Finally - with the US so big - most coast-to-coast travel is via airlines … so again there is an issue of size, shipping, and costs. In Europe, most countries are within a driving range of a few hours. From my home just to Chicago is a 6 hour drive at freeway speeds to give you an idea of why some prefer to sail locally. I am a good 24 hours from Texas and probably a good 2-3 days from either coast![:-censored]

Where do we start.

The one metre long multihull has been around for some time. The name and some rules were altered by the “inventors” of the MultiOne class in the USA.

The mini40 came about as Dick said in Europe in the early 80’s. This class was growing extremely well, until sponsorship and rule restrictions pushed people towards the 2 Meter.

The F48 came out of problems relating directly to the mini40 rules having several sections of contradiction. Hopefully in the not to distant future this problem will be rectified and the two classes will be able to sail under the one rule.

60 inch/1.5metre class multi’s was another class that was attempted. It died a natural death by being to close in size to the mini40.

2meter class has shown to have a major following with the introduction of sponsorship and having tv coverage as well as being a good spectator sport. The 2meter class is quite easy to sail as it performs more like a real boat and is more forgiving than the mini40.

Due to the growth of the 2meter class the mini40 class has lost participates which is very unfortunate for that class. We are still trying to keep the mini40 class strong over here and the numbers are growing albeit slowly.

I am quite surprised that the 2meter has such a big following. They are a very hard boat to carry around, needing there own trailer most of the time.

Peter

I would also echo thqat question, much as I did to Doug … if you haven’t raced it against another design - how can you determine if your design is the fastest?

Peter Birch was enlightened by his own admission when his club traveled to another location only to find their “fast” multihulls were really slower than the competition. Of course, he points to the weight factor - and if all boats weight the same - no one would have an advantage.

I can see the MultiONE and my F-48 will be FAST - but relatively speaking - since I really won’t know until I have a chance to sail it against Ian’s boats, or others. This is why it is so critical that there is organized competition so you can actually “SEE” a winner - rather than having someone stand up and proclaim their boats are “fast” !

All multihulls should be faster than their similar sized monohull counterparts simply based on less weight (no lead) so that comparison has little relative reference. Kind of like sailing any monohull only against itself. Let’s use the IOM as an example. Until a new design proves itself on the race course - it is simply a “new design”. Only after some first place regatta finishes, does one actually prove the new design is better than the “old” design.

France (and maybe the U.K.) are still the undisputed benchmark for multihull performance - so until a multi performs well in that venue - it really has no “pedigree” - that is why GHOST TRAIN and PULSE are proven performers and popular with builders.

What is your solution? I don’t see anything that shows a connection in those photos. I don’t like you system either. Ian and I discussed a tube in tube which Lemke also showed me on a South American tri with the same connection. Having wood under almost the whole deck adds a lot of weight. I am going to take it out of the last hull that is not together and put the tubes in the hull. Doug Lord’s setup on his F3 is similar and does not twist. You are still attaching to the deck only with just an extra layer of wood under it.

Ahhh - I see the ego has grown some !! [:D]

As noted with different poster - suggest you simply post the facts - and let the performance prove itself against other designs. Keep in mind - if your boats never leave the workshop or touch water - they too can be “called” very high performance. Since Austria is such a LONG way from France or Britain - why not take a drive to Germany and run yours against the recent German owner who placed first at Frecamp with his trimaran in the Mini40 class? At leaast it is benchmark for any performance “claims” [:-headache]

Here is the contact information. Perhaps we will see racing results here in the near future? [:-indifferent]

RASCH Konstruction Wiesbaden
Gerd Thomas Rasch
Kanzelstr. 71
65191 Wiesbaden
Tel. 0611 5650232

EIT: Added contact information - this is the owner/builder of the yellow trimaran in the earlier posted video clips.

FYI:
http://www.rcmultihullsail.de/index.html

Nice webpage. Someone should mail him and invite him to rcsailing. I am sure he could give interesting input…

well no idea about proofes…but he was in the rc modell boot magazine last year with his mini40…i can send u some scans if u want

I joint a picture of my last boat:

this is realy a monster: an AC/10, 2m58 long,
3.3m2 sail. 25kg.

There are 2 2M at Brest(brittany), very fast yacht !!

Pat

Download Attachment: misalo021.jpg
65.71KB

sorry but pic not showing…

On the page of the French multi-sailors you can find him ranked in two races for 2004. one with 4 boats and one with 5 boats racing. He must have ranked first in one and third in the other race. No info givven on how many runs they did for either ranking.

Marcus