2-metre trimaran build

Can you share the total all-up weight for your boat, please. Would b interesting to have a idea if one were to proceed with the build.

Thanks, Dick

The boat is 8.9 kgs fully rigged.

Cheers
Roland

My 2m Trimaran the NAGA (after the SE Asian Sea Serpent) is hydro foiling for the first time. Gusty winds a bit strong for my #1 rig but the 2m is a fighter. Still have to adjust the T-foil angle, as for now the T-foil buries the transom.
The Naga is great fun and much easier to sail than my smaller ones.
Below find some snap shots from the clip I made; the clip will be uploaded here soon.

Have fun

Cheers Roland

Some more pictures:

Enjoy
Roland

Here is the clip I promised:

//youtu.be/7w1k6uLKIjs

Cheers
Roland

Well Roland, I just printed and cut out the templates for my own 2 meter (winter) project. I was going to build with strips, but then got looking at the 10 Rater Claudio is working on, and also the foam IOM of Brad Gibson’s and think I will go with two half-hulls of foam, then lay up glass over them with the half hulls split vertically. When done, it will be hollow hulls to reduce weight. Are you building/selling 2 meter sails? How much? I am thinking of going with just a mainsail like an A Class cat to start, and then perhaps add the jib later. Just checking on sail prices. I could probably build my own, but would like to get this on the water rather than spending time building. While I’m at it, what winch are you using for your sails?

Thanks for info,

Dick Lemke

Hi Dick,
I’m not building 2m class sails for sale, you could contact Carr Sails for a suit. The winch I use is a custom built one, made from a gearbox with 12 V motor and some electronics. You can find the winch at http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?5602-2-metre-trimaran-build&p=72494#post72494 in this thread.
I’m currently working on the shells for boat #2 and #3 which goes to the US.
Good luck with your build I hope to see the boat on the water soon. Keep us updated with your progress.

Cheers
Roland

I will. Please ask the new owners to make contact with me. I’m going to try to promote multihulls once again, so I could use their names and emails if they are willing to share. Thank you for the information.

Dick

formula48[at]comcast [dot]net

While Naga #2 is on the way to the United States I started Naga #3 my own new boat. On the new Naga I have incorporated a molded foredeck. Having molded all fiber glass parts I started with the assembly of the new main hull today.

All the stations where the fittings go are marked. The mast position and the positions for the beam nuts are marked on the molding, I have marked the other positions to match my other fittings and drilled all holes.

Reinforcements for all hard points are created and T-nuts are in place now.

Next step will be to laminate the reinforcements and T-nuts to the deck molding.

Cheers
Roland

Meanwhile the hardpoints are laminated to the foredeck.

Next I have cut the bulkheads and the parts for the mast box from plywood.

Mast box assembled

The mastbox and a bulkhead are attached to the foredeck.

Next I will laminate the bulkhead and the mast box to the foredeck assembly

Cheers
Roland

During the last week I found the time to continue assembly of my new Naga mainhull. The project is proceeding slowly, I hope to test sail the boat next month.

The mast box and forward bulkhead are laminated to the foredeck assembly.

The foredeck assembly glued to the mainhull with epoxy

Plywood strips to support trays and rear deck are glued to the hull and the rudder tube is laminated in place.The foredeck assembly glued to the mainhull with epoxy

Bulkhead glued into position with epoxy.

Next I will glue the trays in place build the rear deck assembly with T-nuts for all fittings and finally glue the rear deck assembly in place.

Cheers
Roland

Roland

Nice job showing building steps.

Do you think the T-Nuts will give you enough stiffness so your platform doesn’t twist?

Hi Dick,
the T-nuts are to secure the beams and other hardware only, stiffness comes from the deck laminate and the bulkheads which are placed under the stations where the beams are connected. My first mainull had the same system albeit with a 12mm ply deck section where the beams were fixed. The new mainhull sports a fiber glass foredeck which was the original plan but omitted on the first prototype to get the boat finally on the water after extreme long building time. I did the new foredeck after the first test runs which were great fun for me. I will keep the old floats for now and only do a new mainhull and new crossbeams. Other modifications will be at the rudder and the foils.
I plan to sail the new mainhull next month.

Cheers
Roland

Thanks for clarification

The transom and the trays for rudder servo, winch servo and batteries are glued in place.

I’m building the rear deck according the drawings now.

Cheers
Roland

The rear deck assembly with T-nuts for all fittings required is built.

I’m going to glue the assembly to the main hull over the weekend.

Cheers
Roland

The rear deck is glued to the hull - deck fittings and RC installed.

My new main hull is finished, the new beams are drilled. I hope to sail the Naga between the years provided there is sufficient wind and a helper to launch the boat.
I keep you updated with my progress here.

Cheers
Roland

Last Sunday I launched the Naga2 for the first time. The boat sails smooth but unfortunately it was a calm day so I could not test the improved foils. I’m waiting for a weekend with enough wind to sail the boat on foils again. Below are two pictures of the boat on shore. A short clip of the first launch will be here in a few days.

Cheers
Roland

Some new clips and pictures of my Naga from 31-12-2017

//youtu.be/vxNdUeZT7zo

//youtu.be/jKwVlKkJgbs

Happy New Year
Roland

Nice to see some activity still in Multi 2m size… Well done Siri. :slight_smile: