2-metre trimaran build

Hi Dick,
it will be a foam plug glassed over - I will take the shells off this plug then. Its different from my last prototypes which were glassed over foam cores.

I could take some of your snow:) - we have over 30 deg here and 20 kmh winds - I will try to go sailing on the weekend if winds continue to blow.

Cheers

I’m working on the plugs for a modified version of Siri’s 2m class tri.
Here is the progress so far

I try to get the boat into the water before spring.

Cheers
Roland

Many springs late, I finally managed to assemble the raw platform. Building the boat is a real space issue, had to send my wife on holiday before I could start the assembly.
You can see two MultiOne boats hanging from the wall in the background.

More to come soon…

Cheers
Roland

Nice. Are cross arms metal, or fiberglass. Foam filled or hollow? Thanks

Hi Dick,
the beams are foam filled fiber glass for the first tests. I will build a set of beams in carbon fiber after the first sailing sessions to save some weight.
Currently I’m working on the sail templates - they are huge.

Cheers
Roland

Thanks for response. I am thinking of trying a hollow version of cross arms. Most of mine have been solid. Thought about a vertical thin ply shape, then add strips on top and bottom to form an “I” Beam of sorts. Finally fill front and back with foam, shape and glass. Will probably become a bit heavy with all the foam, but was a thought. I may give a try on the Mini40/F48 currently being built.

Cheers, Dick

My 2m platform touched water for the first time yesterday to perform a float test. I added 5 kgs of ballast before taking the pictures.

Cheers
Roland

The custom winch for the 2m project is up and running.

//youtu.be/1XEKochhf4M

Now the day to sail the beast is getting close.

Cheers
Roland

Sails are ready -

In the second picture you can see a full MultiONE rig on top of the 2m rig to see size difference.
Next step is sheet installation, after that it is time to put the beast on the water.

Cheers
Roland

What a beautiful looking boat! I have never played with a multi hull in r/c but it looks like a lot of fun. I would need something a lot smaller tho … something like what is hanging on the back wall.

Cheers

Tom

Well hanging from the wall are 1metre and F48 class multis. They are great fun to sail. If you get stung by the virus you will automatically go for the larger ones at some time. The 2m build consumes much more time than the smaller ones, no standard fittings are available, all has to be build by yourself. My 2m took around 6 years to materialize, now the build is nearing the end and I hope to sail the boat mid of this month.

Cheers
Roland

I know about wanting bigger … I am working on a rather large tug boat that will weigh in at 65lbs, and I am awaiting the arrival of the laser cut frames for a 78" version of the Rainbow.

Are there any plans available for either of the smaller multi’s?

Cheers

Tom

There are some free plans available at RCSails. You will need to register before you can get them.

Cheers
Roland

Thanks Roland … I will have a look at those. I think I should really finish some of the projects I have started. With snow still on the ground, (and more falling as I type) it is easy to think that something new would be more fun to sail.

Tom

My 2m Trimaran finally made her maiden voyage.
I rigged the boat up at the lake early in the morning and did her maiden in a very light breeze. Some minor issues to address, but all in all the boat is a dream to sail.

I will upload a short clip of the maiden voyage to YouTube soon and publish the link here.

Have a nice weekend
Roland

Here is the video clip:

//youtu.be/ddeA76uQyM0

Enjoy

Roland

Very Nice! She can really get up and go can’t she!

Job Very Well Done.

Tom

Nice job Roland. Has nice set to hulls, even when wind picked up a little. Any plans to market - or sell plans?

Dick

Hi Dick,
no plans to market the boat or sell plans - the shadows can be downloaded from this thread, I have modified the first three float shadows for more scoop. I do have molds if anybody wants moldings I can provide them on case to case basis, the parts should be picked up because shipping cost for this size hulls are easily more expensive than a ticket to Thailand.

Cheers
Roland

thank you. I wish you well with this “monster”.

Dick