1/7 Micro Transat

After a research in the net I decided to put the servo winch horizontally.
I made the mold of the basis out of carton and then I put 3 layers of 200gr CF.
This is what I end up with.
It is beautiful and very light…

Hi Guas38,first of all i want to tell you that i very like your work.Your pieces of carbon fiber look so well done.Excuse my poor english,that’s not my spoken language.I would be very happy to see how you produce your carbon groovy mast,i could produce one for my sailboat.Go on with your nice work i will keep looking at your project.Cheers GB.

Thank you my friend Giligan for your good words.

The carbon parts that I am producing, is part of my job so it is not difficult for my.
About the carbon mast I have already tried 2 ways to produce it
but the outcome was not the desirable in both cases.

In the first attempt the mast was too soft and bendy and the groovy was opening very easily.
The second one was very stiff but it was 455gr. I could not bend it at all, so it was not for use either.

Now I am going to use an aluminum tube to work the boat out and
when I have time I will try again with a different procedure which I believe it is going to give me the desirable result.

Stay tuned because the next task is to make a fake main traveler and spreaders as scale as possible.
I am also going to assemble the servo’s base and the rudders on board.

I thought that I was ending but as I realize there is a lot of time needed to the end.

Kostas

Hi Kostas,

Sorry for the late response - been a busy few days - but tomorrow we’ll make the jump and laminate our first hull - say a prayer !!!
it is a IOM boat - basically a friend tried to pull a hull and deck from a mould but did them too heavy for the boat to be competitive so I decided to use the hull and deck as male plug instead of bining them. So we glued in reinforcements to the inside of the hull with wood planks to elevate the hull from the table in order to let the fibreglass hand off the side to ensure best shape at deck level.

we intend to learn a fair amount from this test before we build our first IOM from plans. I have seen PVC foam on sale at fibreglass and resine outlets but none in Ireland - so not sure how I can get them shipped over cos they’ll be bulky and will had too much to the cost. Hence the insulating foam idea.

For you winch you need a tray shape support that will be attached to the hull or under the deck see an idea here, the other solution is what I have on my V6 IOM which is to have the winch attached directly under the deck with the drum over the deck so your sheeting system is visible on top of the deck - not the prettiest but the easiest to fix if it breaks like I had to do in the las regatta (a boat hit me and broke my elastic which I use to keep my sheeting system on tension but also to break if over tensioned like in that case and it didn’t take me 5 mins before I was back on the water for the next race.)

But for this I know the RMG winch is designed for this setup so no problem but not sure with other winch - which one are you using ?

The location of your winch will also depends on your boat design as it is probably the heaviest part in your boat, also you need to have the sheeting system layed out ahead of planning the location of your winch so you know you have enough travel distance between full sheet-in and out positions. Remember that you can save a fair amount of battery power through your sheeting system - basically the least amount of friction the best and the minimum energy needed to operate the sails.

Hope I have answered your question.
Keep up the great work
Gilbert

Hi,

Just read you last posts - couple of things:
1- again brilliant job on the moulding of the mounting for the rudder servo (I think) and the winch
2- if this is your rudder servo your cf arm looks to be quite long - can’t remember what I use on mine but it is a one arm only not a double and defo smaller
3- from your pics it is not an RMG winch but a copy - however it looks like you can deck mount it like a RMG if you want (just an option if you had not considered it)

Gilbert

PS will try to take some pics of our IOM build but I will put them in another thread so to keep yours clean.

Thank you my friend Gilbert for the reply and your good words,
I was thinking a lot about the way that I was going to mount the RMG style winch servo.
The servo is this one…

http://www.mxcomponents.com/it/winches-drums/77-s300-winch.html

It can be mounted as an RMG with the drum out in the deck but this is not the scale look that I will try to end up with.
So since this idea is out of the question
I decided to put it horizontally just a centimeter over the bottom of the hull
just in case of water. Is the best for the center of gravity.

About the servo head I thought that a close link between the pair of rudders and the servo like the sketch underneath:

I don’t know about the length of the head but if it needs to be reduced it is much easier than to lengthen it.
Only the test sail will saw us the needs.

Kostas

have a look at this pic it may give you some more ideas re controlling twin rudders - had another picture but I can’t find it - hope it helps
Gilbert

Do you think that the conection above will not work?
My question is if the bar that conects the rudders should be changed into a ruber.

Hi Kostas you can try but my view is no it won’t as as you move the rudder arm one way the linking bar won’t push the other rudder in paralell no.

The other way I saw it done is with one rod from the rudder arm to a central pivot point wih 3 arms - one arm, the one parallel to the stern attached to the rudder rod and the other 2 (perpendicular to the stern) attached to the rudders but not in the same place of the rudder head. if that make senses.
G

Small progress this week and mostly aesthetic I would say but I liked the outcome.
I started by mixing my epoxy with glass bubbles and then added some graphite powder to get the color.
I conjure the mixture like pasta and put it on the track so as to take the shape of it.
After the set of the mixture I cut it in 3 pieces and start the forming of them.
The outcome is very good in my opinion but I would like yours…
The cost in weight is just 3grams.

Brilliant - and only for 3 gr that is unbelievable !!!

but how are you going to control it via a servo or you preset it before launch - the later option would save the weight of a servo

Gilbert it is just for scale reasons it is not going to be operational.
The gain of a motion like that is going to be so small for the additional weight of an extra servo.
The next that follows is something similar for the Genoa’s tracks.
The bad weather doesn’t let me any spare time for the model.
So merry Xmas.
Kostas

Hi Kostas - well a bit late for Xmas but hope you had a good one however I wish you a very happy and prosperous new year

After long time away I wanted to post my last pictures taken from my little boat.
The financial problems down here you all know (Greece) is slowing everything down.
So after a lot of masking time… and effort …

upload gambar

The result is better than expected
Now I am planning for the graphics of the sails…

Wow,
It is a thing of beauty, did you use 2 component paint?
Could you post some close-up pictures of the paint, i wonder if there are inperfections/how smooth it is.

Keep up the awesomeness!:spin:

Hey Kostas,

Glad to see you’re back - tell me about it - the situation over here is not much better - still out of work myself :mad: so I understand.

I have also done some progress re building my IOM, though also very slow too !

this is a neat paint job and it looks fantastic too ! looks like a spray job, what kind of paint did you use ? out of curiosity.

Currently working on a IOM moulded with coloured gelcoat but don’t like it at all and will aim to do my next boat with no gelcoat at all but apply paint once the hull is finished which should provide a better, cleaner finish.

Looking forward to your next updates
Gilbert

Kostas,

She’s looking really good - you seem to have achieved a fantastic finish with the paint, is it a two-pack or simple ‘rattle’ can?

Despite reports in the UK press the situation isn’t really much better here (our debts were even bigger!!) it’s only really London (being driven by the same financial sector & controlled by the same people who created this whole stinking mess in the first place) where things are picking up. The general consensus is that it’ll be 7 - 10 years before the rest of the UK gets back to pre 07/08 levels.

In the meantime keep up the excellent work,

Regards,

Row