workbench pics...

Hey folks,

got some new tools yesterday…

table top belt/disc sancer, Drill press, Scroll saw, and a 48" Lathe
this on top of my compound miter saw, and Table saw.

I have a small shop in the basement 1.5" formica topped with 1/4" glass overlay. nice for doing small work and misc odds and ends…

Problem… when I do any sanding small cutting (dremel, ect) the entire house ends up spelling like wood shop. I don’t see the problem…Wife does…

So…With the addition of these tools I am contemplating setting up a more permanent solution in the 2 car garage…

basically turning the front of the garage in a work shop with enough space to get the cars in.

Wondering if any one had any pics of their “shops” such that I could get some ideas working around in the grey matter thats resting atop my shoulders…

Hi Mark,

You might take a look at sawdust collection vacuum systems for the basement shop.

Moving into the garage, you may still get the smells and track dust into the house (don’t ask!), and the damp may cause the tools to rust more than in the basement environment.

John

It’s an insulated garage And Ive never had any problems with any of my handheld tools rusting…

the basement room is 20x20 and it shares space with the laundry area. Which is probably another reason the wife isn’t appreciative of my hobby some times:)

I am glad my wife is fully comprehensive and I have a nice workshop with enought space. Of course form time to time she complains about traces odf fiberglass in my cloth spreading all around the house…

In other cases, or you change the worshop location, or change the wife!!!

Marcsmith. You should organize your workshop so all the tools that pruduces dust be at one side or corner , so it is easier to clean. Also, put a piece of scrap carpet at the exit of the basement, so you can clean up your shoes bottom…and if you go up with a rose for her from time to time, you wife will not complain as much.

Good luck.

Tato Lazo

been with this wife since 97 it would be too expensive to change now…

and 75% of the basement is finished…

A few years ago WOOD Magazine had an article called Idea Shop 2. It showed how to have all the tools for major woodworking in a 2 car garage. It is an excellent read and is still on their website. http://www.woodmagazine.com/ideas/wood-shop-showcase/idea-shop-2/
For small modeling alone it is overkill but you can pick and choose from their ideas. actually , they have done at least 5 different concept shops to perk the imagination.

I don’t think I kept the issue because I have been blessed with a very understanding wife who said “no problem” to adding on a dedicated shop as an addition to our house. Even so, I used several of their ideas: reference center, tool mover, and the mobile cabinets . they have been very useful.

I second the recommendation of a dust collector. The Grizzly medium system allows high volume low pressure flow that will handle an amazing amount of sawdust and fiberglass grindings at a low price. I switched it and my major saws to 220 volts and have beau coup power. I can grind thick fiberglass warship hulls in front of a 4" hose and watch the air stream entrain all the particles making a dust mask optional. It is a must have.
Start by looking at the G1028Z.
Nate

Before you go to the bridal wedding dress salon for the first time, browse through weddings magazines to get a sense of what you like; it’s helpful to bring pictures of wedding dresses that appeal to you. Also, be open to trying a variety of plus size wedding dresses. What may seem unlikely on the rack of the wedding gowns may be stunning on you.

Well I figured I’d post some pics. before/after. I ended up adding 24 feet of countertop space and 14 feet of cabinets above and below. 30 amp dedicated 240v cicuit with 120v power strips along the wall. the circuit can power a welder or plug my fathers 42’ rv to household power.

did all the work myself.

nice gaps in the cabinets to set a rigged boat up.

now I just need to keep it clean…

Looks like a good, usable workspace. Well done!
RD