Who gets the money when we register our hulls

What is the money for when we register our hulls? When you join the Different Associations why do they all require you to have a sail number with them.:confused: kind of sucks the wind out of ones sails:scared::eek:
jim:confused:

Jim - How do you suppose the AMYA Quarterly is paid for, or the other operating expenses in keeping track of all the members, their boats in all the classes in this big country? How about the insurance coverage for AMYA events? Dues alone?

I find it amusing that guys who will put a few hundred bucks into a foot long boat grouse about $7.00 US or $5.00 CAN to register it? Even if you have a bunch of Footies the registration cost in the US is a one time fee. So skip going out to dinner one night and stop complaining. Support your r/c sailing organization!

It isnā€™t a money thing at all or I wouldnā€™t be in this or any of my other hobbies. When we write a check to a person instead of our association it makes one wonder whatā€™s going on:confused: I would glady pay the association, then they could do what"s needed to get me registered.That way your statement about the paying for the insurance and running the organization would indeed be true. If the money isnā€™t going into the association we canā€™t see what it is being spent on can we?

Just wondering

jim:)

Historically, the money went to the class secretary to defer the cost of registration. A lot of people, myself included, donā€™t care for this system and so the RG65 COA bylaws specifically state that the COA retains the money. I donā€™t know how the Footy class works.

Cheers,

Earl

1, AMYA Quarterly is paid for by members dues - NOT by boat registrations.
2. Boat registrations go to Classes or Class Owners Associations to offset class expenses for mailings, trophies, and other sundry expenses.
3a. Insurance (Pond) - paid for by clubs if required by pond owner
3b. Insurance (AMYA Officers liability) - paid for by dues, not boat registrations.

Just making it clear where boat registrations DO go. Obviously, there may be additional membership fees charged by ā€œinternationalā€ class associations where applicable.

If anyone has questions, you can always email AMYA and ask for a copy of their annual budget.

I noticed the reference to CAN$5.00. Howeverā€¦!
The Footy class is unique, in that many sailors have several boats, but only race oneā€¦ One for each foot?..It does not seem reasonable to pay for a registration for boats that are purely experimental, and may be discarded after only limited trials or races.
In addition, does the registration specify exactly which boat is being registered, other than generic ā€œFootyā€? As many persons have several suits of sails (presumably all numbered the same) which may very well be shared between several boats, it is easy to forsee that we could end up with a registration nightmare, in which the ā€œhonestā€ sailor is penalized financially while others may just ignore the whole mess.
Iā€™m not ā€˜cheapā€™, just ā€˜cannyā€™----!
What I am suggesting is that the situation be properly ā€œregularizedā€.

This is a purely American problem and strictly speaking below the ā€˜radarā€™ of the International Class Association. Everywhere else, registration is with the local (e,g. British, Swedish, Italian) class association. None of these make any charge: the class managers pay the phonr bills out of their own back pockets.

The effective position in the USA is that registering with the AMYA gives automatic registration with the US (as opposed to AMYA) Footy Class Association (which is free anyway). Money paid to the AMYA is held by the AMYA for the benefit of the AMYA Footy Class (i.e. for Footy activities supported by the AMYA). The Footy class in the USA is represented internationaly by the (non-AMYA) US Footy Class Association.

If you think this is confusing, it is - at least from the other side of the Atlantic. Iā€™m sure that John Amoroso and Bill Hagerup will be along shortly to give further and better particulars.

:zbeer:

Boz,

The money goes, as others have pointed out, to defray the costs of mailing registrations and for trophies for regional/national events, publicity, etc. Even at $7.00 per boat, the total isnā€™t going to get me far from home if I decide to abscond with the funds, and there are no gold-plated fixtures in my bathroom :wink:

The checks are made out to Class Secretaries as a convenience for local banking. The Footy account is set up as Bill Hagerup ā€œdoing business asā€ Footy Class Secretary, so I can still deposit checks made out that way, if you prefer.

The $7.00 fee is set for all AMYA class registrations. Though I personally would prefer it to be lower, thatā€™s how it is for now. To keep it in perspective, though, AMYA costs are pretty low compared to some other hobby organizations. I recently checked into joining the local r/c plane club and was surprized at the membership fees.

Bill Hagerup

Boz - If you have objections to the registration fee you are not obliged to register. You only need the registration for a boat that will be raced in an AMYA sanctioned event. The last NCR had parallel scoring for FCA and AMYA entries. This had more to do with adoption of rule changes but also allowed for non-AMYA boats to compete. I donā€™t know if this compromise will survive AMYA compliance with the international Footy rules but the argument that it will be too costly to register a fleet of experimental boats in the AMYA is really mute. Register the one you will race.

Iā€™m not up-to-date with FOOTY rules, but with the RG-65 - we donā€™t register hulls, we register the sail number, and that sail number is on each boat the owner has. Thus if you see a red, blue or green hull with USA # 001, you know itā€™s Earl Bobertā€™s boat out of New Mexico.

Thus it is a one-time fee regardless of how many hulls an owner might have. The only draw-back is that a boat that is sold will need numbers removed from the sail, or a new sail set. Doesnā€™t seem to be an issue, because Iā€™ve not seen many used FOOTYā€™s or RG-65ā€™s for sale.

With the small sails of a FOOTY, it seems even less of an expense for a new owner to replace a sail, the RGā€™s are a bit larger, but not anything like a bunch of IOM or M or EC-12 sail sets.

Again - not sure how your rules read, but for the RG class, it seems to have worked quite well for the past 30 years.

:zbeer:

Thanks one and all for the responses,

Bill, I sent my data weeks ago and asked where to send the checkā€¦no response.
I did get a response from John for non amya membersā€¦my number is 240, thank you John. John says he cororidinates the numbers with amya:cool:

Dick,
one person, one class, one numberā€¦Perfectā€¦not alot of guess work here :zbeer:

Better yet
One personā€¦one numberā€¦ā€œall classesā€ with the class designation on the sail:D: Really nowā€¦can you tell a footy from a odom, etc any better with a number than the class design.;); We are not the Dmv (are we?)

not politicalā€¦just logical:lol:

Thanks for your posts (input)

jim:) a AMYA member, and donā€™t how to use it:lol:

Sure, makes a lot of sense until you take into consideration that the older established classes have registration numbers in the thousands. So all these guys should renumber their sails to fit Footy registrations or Footy numbers should start in the thousands which is unrepresentative of the class size. The idea of using the last letters of a memberā€™s number sounds logical until you consider how many hundreds of last two identical numbers there are in the AMYA membership. A lot of ideas seem to make sense when you consider only a small demographic, but to change a well established system wholesale on a National level, no matter how sensible the change may be, is very unlikely. There needs to be almost universal discontent among the members of the organization, and I donā€™t think that this complaint extends far beyond this forum.

We (those responsible for photos, magazines, etc. ) also saw a benefit of a single number for each member for any class, in that the identification in photos would be easier and not require 15 names if thatā€™s how many boats were in a photo.

Our suggestions for F-48 Class way back in 2000 was the thought of using AMYA number with the state of residence ā€¦ example: a sail might read 010-MI or 010-CA instead of country - since the class was (basically) a U.S. Class. A few agreed it would work - but then if dealing with a COA where owners donā€™t have to be AMYA members, the concept fell apart.
:confused:

Everyone,
logically, The world has gotten bigger and a new streamlined way should be implemented. See if this makes sense:
Keep the old sail #s (grandfathered in (might be literally)
Start a new system
Dicks sounds about right with # and state so the state has a register and assigns #s first come first served. Might even be left to the clubs to assign #s (naahhh!)
Just let the originals keep their # for old time sakeā€¦just have them add the new number to the sail without removing the old(their option), but all future contest or correspondence will be with the new number. So those who need their # can still have it on their boat. By having it state by state you minimize the thousands of numbers.
How many members are their anyway?
whew!I need a beer and I donā€™t even drink:zbeer::lol:
jim:)

Boz, I just found an email from you about FatBob in my junk box.

Youā€™re the second person Iā€™ve had that problem with in the last month. In his case, it seemed to be because of the 5 somewhat frivolous attachments to his emails. Not sure what my program didnā€™t like about yours.

I donā€™t go through junk mail very often, so things can get lost.

If anyone suspects that I may not have received something, or just thinks Iā€™m too slow to respond (I do take some time off now and then, for other life events and interests) I hope they will call on that old fashioned ommunication device where we actually have a conversation!

Bill H