Where to find 1/8" plywood?

Where can 1/8" plywood be found. I was at my LHS today gettin a few other things and decided just to see if they had any, but they didnt. So while I was at home depot getting a jig board, looked also. All I could find was 1/8" masonite or 1/4" ply. Obviously masonite is extremely sensitive to water so thats out and due to the fact that i will be leaving some of the cross sections in the boat for reinforcement, Im thinking it would be too heavy, unless nothing else is avalable. Thanks for the help.
Andrew Miller

Andrew -

1. please note on your profile where located? Assume USA ?

2. I had similar problem getting Kayak 3mm or 1/8 inch plywood too. Home Depot and many places will not order as it is “craft sized” wood. Door companies using it as door skins for hollow core doors won’t ship/sell a couple of sheets.

3. Buying one or two and shipping is very cost prohibitive due to freight andd possible damage.

You will need to look for local “custom” yards that might sell a sheet or two and maybe they stock it. Obviousl Aircraft Spruce and a few other custom sellers for the aircraft/marine industry have and will sell a single sheet - but be ready for a hefty freight charge to get it to you.

I live in Minnesota, but when I travel back to visit faimily and friends, I make a point to stop off in Flint Michigan at a medium size lumber yard that caters to furniture builders, boat builders, etc. and bring back 2-3 sheets of their 1/8 stuff. Might also check your local highschools, vo-techs and see if they will buy you a sheet or two at start of school year as part of woodshop program. Finally, check for local boat builders (especially kayak or canoe) and you may find someone with that thin of stock. If you “must” buy from a boat builder, it will probably be mahogany marine grade, and expect $36-$45 per sheet (4x8 feet) !

Ouch !

Perhaps others will have options I can’t think of.

Sorry about the profilething. Yes I am in the US, Annapolis, MD to be exact. There are plenty of boat builders around here and now that i think of it. My friend builds his own, full scale catamarans and Im sure he may either have some or know where I can get some. Thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated.
Andrew miller

andrew
i dont know what you are using the plywood for. but most plywood i use is doorskin. bought at the local hardware store. the only problem is . you will get a 3x 6 foot sheet. i use it for deck. bulkheads and a whole lot of things. and it is pretty cheap
good luck
cougar

long live the cup and cris dickson

Cougar -

is it a locally owned store - or part of a chain like “Ace”, “Handy Andy”, “DoIt” - etc. ?

dick
i can get it at home hardware, home depot, places like that
cougar

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by cougar

dick
i can get it at home hardware, home depot, places like that
cougar

<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

Cougar

is it hollow core door ply-plywood? i have seen this from time to time at home centers so people can make custom hollow core doors.

One thing that could be done is by a blank hollow core door (around $20) and cut the sides off. you will then have two sheets of thin plywood.

One side of a dis-assembled door will have glue lines from the carboard strip spacers inside the door.

Hmmm - Cougar - must be different with every Home Depot. Here I get blank looks when asking for 1/8 inch ply - or “door skins” ! Will look thjis weekend to be sure.

Michael’s craft stores have 1/8 ply in 1’x2’ sheets.
Don

Don Case
 Vancouver Island

Aircraft Spruce and Specialty carries it, pricey, but FAA certified, highly water resistant, etc. One 4x8 panel should last nearly a lifetime. When you order, make sure you order their spruce “cutoff” package. These are odd sizes of FAA certified spruce, beatiful stuff. And if you feel wealthy, check out their spruce longeron stock, dead straight, clear grain, absolutely the perfect stuff for masts.

Cheers,

Earl

btw, what could I use to waterproof plywood?

-Wis

_/ if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it! _

http://www.geocities.jp/schocklm/index.htm

Wis, for my (absolutely not waterproof) 3mm poplar ply (light & cheap) I use thin Epoxy resin to waterproof it, make sure to cover it (varnish, paint) as epoxy does age under the influence of UV.

Regards, Jan.

Boaters are nice people.

I use an epoxy sealer. The product I use in New Zealand is called Everdure - designed for full sized boats. But beware - the weight adds up.

Muzza

what i use is resin? or if finish is important. i use a sealer. like varnish then resin.
cougar

Epoxy…is that not a bit heavy…the boat should weight about 850-950gr…every grams count [;)]

How about simple varnish?

-Wis

Wis - if all you want to do is seal the wood - add a bit of acetone to resin mix to really thin it out. Stay away from open flames! Volitile!

It reduces the strength of epoxy, but thinning allows it to be sucked into wood pores. Alternative is to use CA glue and then varnish/poly over it. If you are doing a complete hull, this would be expensive and a lot of work with CA drying so quickly.

Could also rub wood (if smooth) with Tung oil or linseed oil - but won’t be able to paint over that stuff - clear finish only!

When I use thinned epoxy, it has a consistency of water! - But acetone, like CA glue evaporates pretty quick - maybe working time of 5-8 minutes? Don’t use thinned epoxy for any glue joints or strength/fastening applications.

See my posted chart for mixing small amounts (size of a quarter or half dollar) of epoxy. It happens to be a 5:1 ratio chart for WEST system, but you can make up the circles for 1:1 or 2:1 types of epoxies too. Then just add a bit of thinner, and brush on. After cure, lightly sand to remove any runs/drips.

well its just for the servo tray…

I ll try the acetone + resin…(+hardener???)

Thanks

-Wis

Mix the resin and hardener, then add the acetone.
Without the hardener you’re in for a long wait…

The resin I use is already pretty thin, so I seldom have to resort to thinning it with acetone.
Adding heat makes it run like water and the wood soakes it right up.

Regards, Jan.

Boaters are nice people.

Stumbled upon the plywood today at a “not so local” hobby shop. But it was a hobbytown USA so if you have one near you I would assume they would have it also. I also found a pretty cool plastic model of the Playstation cat, but dont remember what scale it was. Hope this helps you guys.
Andrew Miller

If Every gram counts, I would use Solar film, just like on airplanes. However I would not use plywood :slight_smile:

• HJ

“Expertice is gained trough mistakes. However repeating
same mistake is not learning but stupidity.”