What materials are using for deck patches?

MY 3R is approaching completion, and I was wondering what people are using as deck patch material? The first thing that came to mind was using the sticky backed Dacron that everyone else uses. The only thing is I hate using stuff I can?t pick up locally. I?m considering double sided tape and Mylar film.

So what is everyone else using?

-Dan
Sherman Yachts
3R Forum

I am using the clear 2" wide plastic packaging tape. If you have a hole larger than that this obviously won’t help

Dick Lemke
F-48 #US-06
MultiONE #US-06
Class 3 Landyacht #US-196
Minnesota, USA

I have another question…where do you get it from?

-Wis (aka Laurent)

<font size=“1”>_/ if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it! _</font id=“size1”>

Seawind
MicroMagic #JPN 01
<font color=“red”>------------------
<font size=“1”>Wis’ Web Wasted Site
</font id=“size1”> ------------------</font id=“red”>

Hi dick,

I though of that too, but like you said some of the holes are too wide.
If you take a look at this photo, you can see what I mean.

<hr noshade size=“1”><font size=“1”>Moderator
-Dan
Sherman Yachts
3R Forum</font id=“size1”>

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by wismerhell

I have another question…where do you get it from?

-Wis (aka Laurent)
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

Wis -

if the question to me about the tape, it is readily available here in most office supply stores, and much more expensive at United Parcel, FedEx or Post Office. I am not sure what you have there in Japan - but if you have Staples, Office Depot, Office Max or similar large office supply store for local businesses - try there. If not - PM or email me. My daughter-in-law works for 3M so I can get you a batch and will send it to you. Rolls are about 2 inches wide and on a roll with a 3 inch diameter core.

<center></center>

Dick Lemke
F-48 #US-06
MultiONE #US-06
Class 3 Landyacht #US-196
Minnesota, USA

thx, will check VERY soon…but i think i’ve seen that before

-Wis (aka Laurent)

<font size=“1”>_/ if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it! _</font id=“size1”>

Seawind
MicroMagic #JPN 01
<font color=“red”>------------------
<font size=“1”>Wis’ Web Wasted Site
</font id=“size1”> ------------------</font id=“red”>

Dick,

I was searching the net earlier today, and I came across this website.
http://www.esupplystore.com/tape_.htm

it appears 3? wide clear packing tape can be had, I will have to look and see if I can find some locally, because I thing 3? wide will work for me. I wonder if I will be able to find it locally.

-Dan
Sherman Yachts

[:-weepn] Dan, you could look at <font size=“2”><font color=“red”>Solarfilm</font id=“red”></font id=“size2”> or Monocoat. These are used by model aircraft folk to cover wings etc. Sticky on one side, iron on, cool colours, heat shrink, durable, what more could you ask for.[;-xmas]

Do it NOW before it`s too late.

Ian,

I know about Monocoat etc. but i was hoping to find something that i could change out quickly lake side.

-Dan
Sherman Yachts

What about using adhesive sign vinyl. Available from from any sign shop and comes in almost any colour. This is made by 3M amongst others. To get it on without wrinkles you need to add dishwashing detergent to water. You will need to add about 5 drops to a litre of water. To stick down peel the backing paper off the vinyl or (dacron stickyback) in the water - lay the material onto the surface - (you will be able to slide it around) -once in place leave to dry in a warm place.

And just in case you need to get it off, warm the surface with a hair dryer. This will soften the adhesive and let you remove the stuff without ripping paint off.

You might try Contact paper. It’s sticky backed plastic that comes in solid colors, wood grain, stripes, checks, floral designs, whatever. Once, I even found a black and white cow print. It comes in yard-wide rolls, containing nine or ten linear yards. The stuff is cheap and available in most houseware and hardware stores.

I’ve done entire decks with it. The only problem being that extereme heat and/or sun exposure over time causes the stuff to stretch and sag a little over large openings. From what I saw in your photo, I don’t think you’ll have that problem.

You can either pre-cut some patches and carry them around with you, or you can just carry some un-cut material then place and trim on the spot.

I designed my boat to take advanatge of packing tape. WORKS GREAT. Easy to replace, and if you forget a roll, you can normally get another on the way to a race, anywhere a post office or CVS can be found.

~tb

I use the clear plastic adhesive backed film used to laminate documents. You can get it at almost any office supply store and comes in 8x11 inch sheets.

Precision Park West:
Neurosurgery & Light Hauling

Be very carefull when using any monofilament sticky backed film. I have seen a new IOM sink very quickly on a windy day. When in a race at close quarters, the end of another yacht boom sliced through the others deck patch and it took water very quickly. Down in less than half a minute!
I have at the moment, deck patches made of 0.5mm clear adhesive backed film which is manufactured for use as emergency glass window repair film. It is as tough as old boots! I managed to blag a bit off a property repair guy. Not advisable to use on any deck cutout where it has to be removed frequently as the adhesive is quite aggressive. I use dacron patch for this. The clear stuff is good when any interested spectators ask what drives the boat. I can easily point ‘through the window’.

Cheers

Ralph.

If the hole is larger than the 2" tape I make a cover from clear plastic 1/2" larger than the hole and then put on the 2" tape. Put vaseline between the plastic and hull if you think it’s necessary. It doesn’t have to be clear you might want to find something to match hull. Tape is not visible.

Areally cool deck patch,is to get clear mylar,with lines in it(windsurfer material),go to the signmaker they have very thin material with adhesive any colour even chrome.Stick that on the back side using soapy water to sqegee out any air bubbles let dry, apply to boat with two sided seam tape.easily removeable.

Dan,
if you have no luck, I have a roll that is 3.75" wide.

~tb

Tb,

Thanks for the offer. I found an expectable substitute locally. My local Wal-Mart sells clear contact paper. So far it?s been holding up really well.

Have you ever tried PHOTOGRAPH copy paper that you use in your computor to print photos. Just cut to size peel off. I’ve never had it move or peel off under stress. Comes in A4

Steve