Waterproof Connecters

Anybody know of a source for miniature waterproof connecters suitable for battery leads-relatively low current. Needs to be able to be on deck and get wet with no trouble…

Doug Lord
–High Technology Sailing/Racing

there is a type in OZ, a 4mm soilder joint that has heat shrink incorperated into it. check out this link-

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=123&item=33161&intAbsolutePage=1

never personaly tried one but heard they work in a bilge for a bilge pump (totally submerged) just might be a bit big for you. good luck.

Doug
There is a company over here called Telstra which if you don’t know is the largest telephone company here. They have an item that they use in the pits for connections. These things were developed for use where it is possible that they will be fully submerged.

I have since found them at Dick Smiths’ which is a electronics shop. What they are is a small connector that has the ability to carry two or three wires. After putting the wires in, they are squeezed closed with a pair of pliers which releases over the wires a small amount of silicone which makes the whole thing totally waterproof.

If I find them on the web I will post the address.

Peter

Thanks for the info; thse connecters have to be able to be easily opened and closed since they are being used on a battery that is part of a movable ballast system; need to be able to change out the battery"cart" as necessary.
In past examples of this I’ve put the connection in a watertite compartment but since this is going on a very small boat I need to find a waterproof connecter that can stand being outside…

Doug Lord
–High Technology Sailing/Racing

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by Peter _Birch

Doug
There is a company over here called Telstra which if you don’t know is the largest telephone company here. They have an item that they use in the pits for connections. These things were developed for use where it is possible that they will be fully submerged.

I have since found them at Dick Smiths’ which is a electronics shop. What they are is a small connector that has the ability to carry two or three wires. After putting the wires in, they are squeezed closed with a pair of pliers which releases over the wires a small amount of silicone which makes the whole thing totally waterproof.

If I find them on the web I will post the address.

Peter
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

These are used by Telco’s in North America. Here they are called “Scotchlox” made by 3M.They are one use and they do leak eventually.I spent enough time in muddy ditches looking for open Scotchlox.

Thanks
Don
Vancouver Island

Doug

Check at Radio Shack the have a connector that may work. (Are there Radio Shacks in the USA???)

Another place that I found connects that may work is at Canadian Tire. in the automotive section.

Also try a home security install firm they may have such a conneector.

Jeff
Alberta

get any normial electrical conector and a roll of selfalmagiting tape and cover it in tape
the stuff is great

When the Apprentice knows more than the Mentor its time to quit!

also you can get electrical conectos that the army use(yes they are painted green) i know that you can get 7 pin ones have used them when conecting a remote to a big boats instruments i know that they cost a lot though and that they were very hard to find and the guy who got them is curainatly ocean racing but ill let you know when he gets back

When the Apprentice knows more than the Mentor its time to quit!

doug
look on the subcommitte website.
my sub has a gell cell in the full flooded section. to turn my sub off. i just diconnect the battery.
i use automotive signal light connector
cougar

You shouldn’t need a “waterproof” connector because water dfoesn’t conduct electricity.

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by TomoHawk

You shouldn’t need a “waterproof” connector because water dfoesn’t conduct electricity.

hmmm just a thought:

PURE water will not conduct electricity…BUT water in our ponds/lakes or sea will!!

If you need a more scientific explanation:

"Everything is relative, so yes, it will conduct electricity–but very little compared to city water, well water, or salt water. The reason is that the way a liquid conducts electricity is through positively or negatively charged ions that are in it actually moving from one of the electrodes to the other, carrying charge (electricity) with them. Salt water has salt in it, NaCl, which readily ionizes or dissociates to ions of Na+ and Cl- which can float through the water carrying charge and thus conducting electricity.

Distilled water is water that was boiled to steam and recondensed to water. Any salt that was originally in it is left behind as the pure water boils away. So distilled water is relatively pure H2O (HOH). Water can ionize to H+ and OH- like salt does, but it ionizes far, far, less and is therefore quite resistant to conducting electricity."

Wis

if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it!

http://wismerhell.esmartdesign.com/index.htm
http://public.fotki.com/wismerhell/

Wis,
A Member of our boat club has a TUG!, No, it has no sails!!.
It has the drive motor and prop fastened where the Rudder should be, in the water!.
A gear system from a servo allows the motor to turn 180 deg each way.
It has a 6 volt battery, which does not go flat any quicker than his other boats.
As expected the boat is very agile, does well at steering courses AND the Motor runs very cool!!.
He has made no attempt to insulate, or water proof any part of the system in the water.
Looks odd, but it works!.
At the end of sailing he just runs the motor on the bank for a few moments, then into the car and Home!.
You must have a small electric motor, wire it up and dunk it in some water, you will be surprised!.
John.

John,
hehe I do have a non sail powered boat, a tug…even on the AMYA site…

I just tried…and, I am/was very surprised…it works…even after!..wow…didnt know that!!

Wis

if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it!

http://wismerhell.esmartdesign.com/index.htm
http://public.fotki.com/wismerhell/

i use dean’s connectors from towerhobbies.it has gold plated pins, but i still use contact cleaner spray on them after each sortie since all my sailing venues are salt water, as in ocean or sea,not some fresh water lake or pond
ed

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by wismerhell
PURE water will not conduct electricity…BUT water in our ponds/lakes or sea will!!
I agree with that. I just thought I’d bring it up so people will know.

The flip side to that fact is that when your radio parts get soaked with pondwater, you should rinse with CLEAN water(tap/distilled) to wash off the crud and salts that will corrode the foil and degrade the works. Most people will think that the pond water “looks” clean, so it muse be clean, like tap water.

NOT!!!

TomoHawk,
You are dead right, Radio parts that get wet, wash well with CLEAN water and leave to dry somewhere nice and warm.
Usually takes a few days for all the water to dry out, so don’t be tempted to test things too soon, it will only make matters worse.
Amazing where water can get to in electronics, so allow time for the drying to happen.
Will then be worth the wait!.
John.

I have usually just used an old blow dryer, set on low temp., to blow air at the part. I shake off as much water as possible first. Then leave it on to dry really well, and then longer, to make triple sure it’s dry.