Water inside my "Sealed" hull

My Nirvana is gaining weight:scared:

It’s got about a pound of water sloshing around inside. It did last summer too, but had lost it by spring.

I’m thinking about drilling a little hole in the transom and putting a little screw in it so I can drain the water out. What do you think?

I sail Victorias, and most people have drilled a hole in the transom and put in a rubber plug. In a breeze, they can get water inside through the various openings, even if sealed well. Drain the hull after every few races.

It’s best not to leave the water inside the hull as the condensation can do nasty things to your Rx/servos.

I put a drain in the bow of my 1 Meter (similar to other boats @ my pond). A small, rigid tube at the very tip of the yacht extending 1cm above the deck.

yar

Until you get to drilling that hole, perhaps you can use a sponge on a stick…like an aquarium glass cleaning gizmo or a turkey baster. The other question you had about servos is “yes”. After about the 1 meter mark, most larger boats, marblehead and up, incorporate a servo to control the jib boom seperately from the main.

Why band-aid method? seal it good with silicon sealent and she ont leak.

in a heavy air, all my boats, from the rg up to the ec12 get water inside… I have drain holes on the rg and the victoria, the soling and ec12 I use a syringe the soling is my driest boat. probably because of the raised cockpit cover…

if its a light air day IE no rails under water and you are getting water I wood look at rudder post or keel post.

If the deck gets wet water can get pumped inside by the movement of the sheets through the deck fairleads. If you do a lot of heavy air sailing, or have a tender boat, a fairlead that rises a bit above the deck is a good idea.

Cheers,

Earl