Vintage 10 Rater

HI MATT

I AM NOW PUTTING TOGETHER THE VINTAGE 10 RATER… THAT WAS IN ISSUE #150 MY PROUBLEM IS NOW OF FINING SOME ONE WHO CAN EITHER TELL ME WHERE AND WHAT OR SHOW ME HOW AND WHY…?? SINCE I CAN NOT FINE ANY PLANS FOR THIS BOAT EXCEPT WHAT WAS IN THE ISSUE…ITS GOING TO BE FUN TRING TO FINISH IT RIGHT WAY. I NOTICED THAT IT CALLS FOR A 20 LB DISPLACEMENT WITH ABOUT 7 PLUS LBS KEEL…BUT WHERE IT SHOULD BE PUT IS ONE THING AND THE OTHER IS HOW FAR BACK SHOULD I GO…I AM SURE IT WILL BE NOT RIGHT SINCE I PUT IT ALL ON LITTLE OVER 6 1/2 FT’…BUT IT LOOKS GOOD TO SAY THE LEASE ABOUT IT. I WOULD LOVE TO GET IN THE WATER…I HAVE 2 KEELS…FROM OTHER BOATS THAT MIGHT FIT IT…BUT I COULD NEVER SAIL IT IN A RACE …PLUS NEED TO KNOW HOW LARGE OF MAST IT TAKES AND ITS DISPLACEMENT AS WELL TO. I GUESS ITS THE OLD GO AS YOU GO AND SEE WHAT YOU END UP WITH…HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME OUT HERE… JUST A OLD BOATER WHO NEEDS SOME HELP’
JOHN:help:

Hi John -

I’m responding - probably because I’m “first on the scene” and am the “first responder - of sorts”.

I would suggest starting correspondence with Mark Gee who is the class secretary (and lead cheerleader) of the 10 Rater class. Mark has done a fantastic job of promoting the class, introducing some neat technical innovations of the class to outsiders, and in general has kept this class functional and growing. With a lot of older Marbleheads out there, and not necessarily competitive, there has been a marked move toward turning these older warhorses into 10 Raters. This is mostly accomplished with a change in rigs - but Mark is the guy to start with. He is probably current on which older hulls work, and which don’t - and can save a person a bunch of time trying to convert an older design.

Go to this page of the AMYA website and scroll down to “Class Secretarys” - then click on Mark’s name. It will open a message box where you can type in your message. Click only once to send. Perhaps provide Mark with an overview of questions and your personal email so he can respond directly to you.

Here is the AMYA contact link: http://www.modelyacht.org/contact/

Hopefully Mark will be able to answer your specific questions. Keep watch on this forum post too - as someone may be able to respond directly. With so many sailors, and so many classes - I’m sure there are some 10Rater folks out there who can answer specific technical questions for you.

If you don’t get a reply from Mark or anyone else - please send me a personal message (PM) by clicking on my name, and I’ll try to scour up some competitent sources of information.

Dick Lemke

THANK U FOR YOUR THOUGHTS AND HELP …I HAVE ALREADY DONE GONE TO AMYA FOR MARK GEESE HELP… BUT HAVE NOT HEARD ANY THING FROM HIM AS OF YET… HE MUST BE RATEHR BUSY TO TALK WITH ME …ON THIS… JUST MY LUCK…

BUT I AM TRY’N MY BEST TO STAY UP WITH THIS BOAT…GOT THE HULL DONE…SO FAR’. AN ITS LOOKING GOOD…IT ABOUT 80 INCH’ LONG. THO’

THANK U …FOR YOUR HELP…
JOHN’:scared:

Mark will probably put you in touch with John Fisher. John has a long post on a blog somewhere featuring the 10R build - but I don’t have the link. If I find it, I’ll post it. When I lived in Colorado I had the pleasure of meeting both gentlemen, and I think you’ll find them helpful (I have an unfinished 10R underway - Mark molded the hull shell).

Also take a look at the Star 45 blog. John posts there too, and his construction method is very similar for both the Star and his vintage 10Rs.

John also checks in at the RCGroups forum - so if you have not posted there, you might want to.

Here is the Star 45 blog I mentioned…

http://star-45.blogspot.com/

thnk u mussz’

i found it to be very help full in many ways, and plan to go back every now and again to look see. mark’ told me to e- frank but i have not as of yet’… what he told me help out some what… its mostly a try this do that kind of thing when doing some thing this big. but if it is ment to work it will all fall together with time and sweat…and head ack’s to. so much fun. most would never try let alone come to look at it…thnk u’:graduate: