Victoria

Some mates and I have all bought Victoria?s for some fun at lunch times, lucky enough to work right next door to Chatham Dock yard and its old mast pond!

Any way

In our simple rules (must use all the major kit parts, hull, foils, spars, sails etc but can rig it how we want) what does the forum think are the most important areas when it comes to getting the best out of them.

I sail dinghy?s so understand wind, waves rigs etc but I?m new to models.

We quickly figured that we have to get a balance, a little weather helm but not to much, but how do we get boat speed :-;

Thanks

Ian

The Vic isn’t the quickest boat especially with stock sails, we race the Vic and go all stock except for the sails. The racing sails from Rod Carr or blackmagic really make for a fast Vic. As far as speed goes keep the weight down to the stock 4.5oz and use adjust your mast forward/back depending on the wind. I am pretty new at yacht racing but it seems that a lighter boat will accelerate very quickly.

Vince

On my Vic, I replaced everything above the deck. But something that can help the Vic ot maintain some speed is to move the weight below the deck back so as to keep the curve of the bow just above the waterline. This will allow the bow to slide over some waves. I’m currently revamping the radio gear setup to help with that bow angle. The sail servo is mounted to the floor of the hull, with a smaller rudder servo mounted just inside where the pushrod enters the hull. This will allow me to move the battery (5-cell NiMH) behind the sail servo as opposed to where the stock radio box allows. My Vic was my first experience with sailing in any form. Yet with my boat, I can keep up with another in the sailing club that has years of full scale racing experience. Good luck with yours.

Travis

Don’t forget to have fun!!!

Along those lines a great idea is rerunning your sheeting lines, I’m not sure if you are using the stock configuration for pulling the sails but it has alot of friction and way too complictated! In our club we all run a straight line through the deck and from the booms to the servo arm, way simpler and easier to fine tune. There are many sites that explain the simple line configuration.

But the most important thing is to have fun!
VInce

Ok thanks for the responce however…

Move the weight back? In dinghys we always trying to keep the weight forward so that we arnt dragging the transom. Is it really better!

Understand the keep it light bit and have already started to look at simplifing the sheeting.

What do you guys look for when setting the sails. How close to the center line do you sheet the main. How much kicker (sail twist) and outhaul do you run. While Im at it the metal rings that come with the kit to hold the sail to the mast seem to tight. How do you guys fix yours.

Sorry to go on but its great to be able to pick teh brains of people who have been here before

Thanks

Ian

PS. How much do a set of better sails cost!

Throw the rings away and just use depron (kite line), the best way to do it is tie a “wrong squire knot” this way you can adjust the sail loops til you get just right tension (1/16" gap) and the hit the knot with a drop of CA glue. I keep a paper towel handy to soak up the extra glue before it can drip or glue the line to the mast. The sail should move very freely around the mast.

I can’t say why moving the weight back unless you are in strong winds all the time, It try to keep the CoG right over the keel fin, but I am in mostly light winds.

As for where to set the closed hull on the sails, I have been told several times and by a number of people you want to keep the main about 2-2.5" off center line and the jib should be pointing almost directly at the mast support lines…I used to go tighter but after moving the sails to a more relaxed position stated above I did much better in the lighter winds.

Good luck!

I got my sails from Carrsails.com and they rock!! $80

http://www.carrsails.com/
http://www.magicksails.com/
http://www.gbmy.com/vic.html
http://www.gbmy.com/cblkmgk.html

-Wis

_/ if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it! _