vaccumm lamination for hulls and others

Hi:

Here i go again with a new crazy project. vaccum lamination.

i would like some tips about how to start with lamination of hulls, fins and rudders. I think this will improve the finishing and final weight of the each piece laminated. I already know the basics principles and some basic tips of the procedure, but any further info will be appreciated.

Also if you know how to build or where to get the cheapest vaccum pump will be great.

Tato Lazo

A shop vac you already own would be cheapest. I wonder if one of those clear plastic bags for storing blankets, etc… would work.

This has been discussed since I joined this forum 8 months ago, so a search would be in order. Also, I have seen videos of vacuum forming on www.youtube.com.

Hi Frank:
I know the basics, also saw many videos in Youtube and specific web sites,…that´s why i get interested to do vacuum bagging to sailboat pieces…

Things like how much pressure,How much thick the plastic, what kind of engine to built the pump, how many air outles for laminating a one meter hull or a RG 65, etc. hoe to avoid resin to go into the tubing , etc. are the ones that only practice can teach you…or somebody with enought patience to write all that in a forum!! jeje

My goal is to achive lighter and stronger hulls and pieces, also avoiding pinholes and things like that. We just started the summer and want to produce enoght pieces for 10 IOM and 10 RG 65 as well, I am plenty of time yet.

Thanks

Tato Lazo

I have done some vacuum bagging of parts and hulls in a mold. I got most of my information from another forum, rcgroups.com, under the “Composites” forum. The youtube suggestion is good too, especially on how to make the molds in the first place!

I don’t know if i would bag hull in the mold again, as I got pinholes in the hull using vacuum and not. It is the most effective when you are using a core between two glass layers. I also have some photos of my build here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=779699

Refrigerators have a useful pump in them, but be careful of the refrigerant inside. The older ones use a reciprocating pump, but I haven’t looked inside the current ones yet.

Hi:
Pinholes are my first concern, also with good impregnation of the cloth. It is said that carbon fibre or kevlar ( composites in general) are hard to impregnate. so vacuum bagging is a must. I am not so sure, but would like to make a try. may be with a good roller i can avoid bubbles and air trapped in between and get a hull pinhole free…

A friend is looking for a refrigerator pump, that will be enought to mount a custom vacuum for modelling purpouses. …since i would use the same fiberglass molds, thick enought, …does it matters the end pressure at all???, or I just can vacuum a lot and seal the bag???

I I were to vaccum a foam wong or use a soft mold pressure would be a main concern here…

Thanks for your iputs,

Tato Lazo

Hey Hew 565

nice post, I also wrote at the end of it too, asking for some shadows for the noux. after I laminate all the stuff I have to do this summer ( dec to march) will start the costruction of a new and definitive ( we always think is the last one!!) IOm, probably the Noux or a Laerke. By that time I will bring the drawings to a printing shop near by.

I liked a lot the shape of the Vanquish and the deck you built is incredible nice, i like balsa work since I started with RC airplanes back in 1986.-

Best regards.

Tato Lazo