trouble getting AMYA magazine?

my opinion here is that we are picking on rich. for the lack of action by the amya. wis brought up a very good piont. the my mag. is a voultener operation. and for that we have to grant them some leeway. when i started this thread, it was not suposed to be an attack on anybody. just a question as to who else was having problems. i understand that the mag. is a very good publication. and i have enjoyed it. the one magazine they did about JUST building. was fanatastic.
rich is the problem with the my mag. not enough people helping? the subcommittee report gets out every 3 months. and there was a time when they did have a problem. so they made a call for help, from the members and they all pitched in. ? is this the problem with it?
and agian rich please do not take any of this as a attack on you. there is just alot of poeple mad. that they have not gotten any answers or the magazine
please stay, and help with other areas. I know i can use some help with boom vangs
cougar

long live the cup and cris dickson

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by cougar

my opinion here is that we are picking on Rich for the lack of action by the amya. <hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

Excuse me ahead of time - send the kids out of the room - but DAMN IT !!!

Can’t anyone ask a question without it being taken personally - or as an attack? Did I “dump” on Rich about why he (Rich) didn’t get the magazine out on time - or did I just ask questions? (By the way - Rich has a role of photo editor - not managing editor - of which I was aware.) In fact Rich didn’t have to respond. It isn’t his call, and the post was a complaint the magazine didn’t arrive, and here’s ideas of what can be done to improve it. I did send a private note to the managing editor though - and his reply to me was a least reasonable.

Through email, I was taken to task by a regional director for states in which I don’t even live! The manner and content of this “supposed” regional director was shocking - and certainly is NOT a wonderful representation for the AMYA !

I am “complaining” was one of the many accusations - Hell Yes ! I spent money for 4 publications a year but only got one and it was late - and if it was a one time thing, there would be some “slack” - but this has gone on for three or four years now - and it seems to be one excuse after the other. BUT - along with my “complaint” was also a suggestion on how to fix the problem. Was that even considered? NO! I was told that I should join AMYA (my name was not on his data listing) and I was told to stop complaining. Yet - this same wonderful representative of the AMYA (as regional director) pointed out the same darn issues that I did. He went on to point out how we “lose members because they haven’t gotten what they paid for.” “It will be difficult to get them back once they leave.” - so - I guess because this guy decides that if “he” says it, his 28 years of membership allows it to be “an opinion, but not a complaint”? It also gives him the right to suggest that I stop complaining because he couldn’t find me on the list. He actually says “he sees no need to respond to non-members questions or complaint”. And to top it off, he doesn’t send me the letter as a personal comment - he carbon copies everyone on the executive board, on the M.Y. staff - and even to a few people who I didn’t recognize as being on either.

Gee - should I be upset? Should I complain more? Is there something wrong that needs to be fixed? Whatever you do - don’t say anything negative as it will become an attack on someone!

Cougar - generally we agree - but on this one, I think you are wrong. I posted, Rich responded, I asked/posted back. That is called discussion and it all was done in a polite and professional manner. I have since emailed Rich directly so he understands nothing was done in a personal or belittling manner. Of course, it will be a mighty cold day before that regional director apologizes (my guess) but that’s fine - unfortunately it just continues to point out the “good old boy’s network” is alive and functioning.

Once again to Rich - and in public, the posts were made in hopes of finding a solution - not as a personal attack - but again, those who are responsible really are responsible. And of course the standard comeback is if you don’t like it, do it yourself. Is that a satisfactory answer? I don’t think so. Mine would be “If the shoe fits …” or “If you can’t stand the heat…”

In the end - I pointed out fact, and I made suggestions to improve the process. Period. It is now up to AMYA to produce and make the changes needed. Nothing personal - just fact.

well said dick
you are right. most of the time we agree. and i never thought that this was an attack. lets just drop that word. and see if we can fix the problem. because as you said. I left. i am no longer a member of the amya. now i want to see what the amya will do. to get me back?
i am still waiting for last years mags.
cougar

long live the cup and cris dickson

It is ironic how these things happen… but I had to go before the City Council here of a small town that has a very nice lake that I would want to see made available for my new club to use. The current city ordinance prohibits the use of any type of R/C boat.

I know… that the rules were made because of those nasty power boats that make all the annoying noise, and pollute the lake with spilled fuel and oil… but I was going to convince them that sailboats were not that way.

So, as part of my presentation I took along some back issues of the MY Quarterly… and believe it or not they asked me after looking at them… if I had something more current that I could show them, since these were all 2003.

While I was trying to make a case to them, about how an AMYA sanctioned club could benefit the community, hosting events, providing pond insurance for sanctioned events, involving kids with something more constructive than Nintendo… the lack of anything current…within the previous 9 months was actually hurting my efforts.

Since I was not able to provide hard copy anything, I was able to show a NOR for an upcoming event here in October… by going to the local club website, where they could also see daily results from the Region V Victoria regatta that was held the day BEFORE the city council meeting.

This is not a question about what is holding up the magazine any longer, it is about moving forward… and <u></u>when<u></u> not if… a more modern, updated, current ONLINE source of information is going to be made available to the members of the AMYA.

www.LudwigRCYachts.com

time to make a rcsailing.net mag [;)], with all the poster here, we sure could make something!!
Think about it!
I am also willing to bring all the help I can…I’ll even host it!

Cheers

-Wis

_/ if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it! _

http://www.geocities.jp/schocklm/index.htm

I’ll throw in some volunteer time for an on-line effort as well. Have very little interest in helping on a hard copy for obvious reasons.

Just a few ideas - Web should be by nationality, with classes below with clubs below: This provides an “international” flavor.

UK
…IOM
…club A
…club B
…club C
…10 R
…club A
…club B
…club C

USA
…IOM
…club A
…club B
…club C
…10 R
…club A
…club B
…club C
…club A
…club B
…club C
…US 1 METER
…club A
…club B
…club C
…club A
…club B
…club C
…SOLING
…club A
…club B
…club C
AUSTRALIA
…“M” Class
…club A
…club B
…club C
…10 R
…club A
…club B
…club C

Alternative would be having class as primary with countries and clubs under it. Not sure which would be easier to use/find… in one a person would be searching by boat class, while in the other they would be doing it by country first, then by class.

Time for discussion. Probably should be a new thread just to be sure it isn’t combined with AMYA hard copy issues and problems? If we can start a boat class from the web (Seawind) why not an “EZine”?

Hello Guys,

I have been very busy of late and not had time to check this forum. I feel bad after reading most of the posts as they relate to my favorite hobby group, the AMYA and how Rich Matt appears to be the sole supporter. Rich Matt was one of the founders of AMYA, but I have been a member almost since it started. My Amya number is #63. I have worked with Rich for many years and for those new to this sport, Rich has done it all. He has held just about every job in AMYA, Past President, V.P. Director,Newsletter Editor, Class Sec’y, and currently is Photo editor. He is a member of the AMYA Hall of Fame and just a very great guy. He has paid his dues to our sport, belive me.
I also am a Past Association President, Past Director a couple of times, did the Mfg/Supl Rep. job and sold the Advertising space in Model Yachting for six years, took a year off and now I am the Features Editor for the magazine.
My family tells me that “not me” is not in my way of doing things. Don’t we all wish that even a few of our fellow club members would acquire a bit of that feeling?
I too share with Rich M. the feeling of frustration of not having things go to our schedule. Issue #136 which is now ready for mailing was scheduled for the first part of Feb. 2005. This feeling is caused mostly by knowing how much hard work all of us do in getting the magazine together. It is also caused by people who say they are going to provide articles, pictures etc. and either do not do anything or after chasing them for a time finally submit stuff very late and a good share of the time need heavy edit work.
Now if I did not belive that AMYA is about to turn the corner on the magazine schedule, I would have stayed off the staff. But I never give up on anything. (another personality glitch)
I do not know how many of you remember that about six years ago, a bunch of us AMYA old timers stepped up and salvaged AMYA from financial ruin. Not that we do not consider the lateness of Model Yachting magazine a problem, but the financial issue was a much more serious problem and we fixed that.
Please have patience for a few more months while we turn this AMYA problem around again and have the magazine back on schedule.
Now as far as the issues brought forward on this forum. Let me ask a question. How come just about every office in AMYA is uncontested? Honestly, I know why and so do you.
Like the Marines, a few good men are hard to find.
Seriously, please have patience with us while we get the magazine back on track, then lets face the other items, such as Internet, feedback etc. As far as the feedback issue, we probably all have grown up a bit since it last appeared in the AMYA publication. Like some of the forums, the same people were squaring off with their personal problems with each other. To include this feature back into the magazine will need a person to Edit or monitor. Again a volunteer?
As far as the missing Class sec’y reports. As Feature Editor I am keenly aware that either the Class Sec’y have the wrong email address or some other problem. I am working on this as I feel that there is a serious communication problem. I know that in some cases AMYA was put on a “SPAM” list, which caused undelivered email.
For a little side job, I advertise in our local “Pennysaver” to do Computer Tuneups. I have met some very interesting people,living in places where a computer is not expected. I am very surprised by the number of people who are on the Internet and don’t have a clue what they are doing. Most of the service calls, have to do with Virus/Spyware which is not surprising.
Point being made here is that I do not think AMYA membership is quite ready for total replacement of the magazine. A lot of people like to re-read again and again.( I have every issue starting with #1) Maybe a fade in approach is better. But, here again we need someone to do this job. Any volunteers?

Sorry for the length of this response, but please have patience with us and do continue to contribute to our sport.

Paul Meskill AMYA #63
Model Yachting
Features Editor

What folks want is a website devoted to R/C sailing that provides instant news, continually updated time sensitive info re. things like regatta schedules, classified ads and regatta results. Going to www.amya.org they can find exactly what it is they are looking for.

Today?s version of the AMYA Website provides a directory listing 221 Sanctioned Clubs. Links are provided to those clubs having their own website. Class Rules for every one of AMYA?s Sanctioned Classes is right there along with the Links to the Class Websites. All kinds of information about things like running regattas, Pond Owner liability insurance, and much other stuff is also right there and it?s right up to speed.

Today?s AMYA Website provides a Regatta Schedule for 2005 that lists well over 100 events. This schedule is updated every time a regatta notice is sent in.

Honest Ahab and his buddy, Mark Cooper, keep the classified ads on the AMYA Website as up to date as up to date can be.

Today?s AMYA Website is now providing Regatta Results. You want to know what happened at the RC Laser Grand Prix and the IOM Region 3 Championship held in January or the Victoria Region 5 Championship held two weeks ago, all one need to do is dial up www.amya.org and poke the button that says Regatta Results.

We have the best of both world?s, The Timely and The Timeless ? www.amya.org and Model Yachting magazine! I really doubt if there will be any chance of doing away with either.

Some timely info?

The way-past-due Model Yachting Issue #136 is in the mail as of last Friday.

The way I hear it, Issue #137 is no more than three weeks away from being sent to the printer. Everybody should give the new Managing Editor, John Davis, a lot of support and credit for hurrying this issue along. The whole Model Yachting staff is on a mission to get the magazine caught up and back on schedule. However, blame me for causing what will be an hour?s delay in #137?s formatting time. A few days ago I pulled my Honest Ahab column wanting to replace it with one that?s different. My buddy Honest Ahab wants to remind everybody what a great website we have for providing timely info ? like his classified ads.

Jumping ahead to the status of Model Yachting #139? Just yesterday which is months before the deadline, I got from Features Editor Paul Meskill, the CD having all the Featured Class articles for this issue. When this issue goes in mailboxes, even someone who might be seen banging their shoe on the table and saying, ?A pox on the magazine!? will probably admit that the VMYG did a fantastic job ? a fantastic job for the magazine by a group also having a fantastic website.

Backing up to Model Yachting #138? Related is a matter that not many folks have given thought – How do you get folks to write articles? Getting regular folks to write articles for a fraternal organization magazine is one thing. I think it is Model Yachting?s secret to success. A volunteer writer?s not so perfect grammar and punctuation are given a pass, or touched up by volunteer editors. The reader-audience is their understanding friend. If the article is short of being perfect it?s no big deal. Class Secy?s and others are willing and comfortable with contributing articles and they do it. Sure, a pressure is there to write in an acceptable manner, but it is just that: an acceptable pressure.

On the other hand, if Model Yachting were to be put up for sale on hobbyshop magazine racks along with the dozens of other model magazines out there, it would be a different sort of pressure on our typical writer. It would be an intimidating influence on anyone contributing an article to be expected to be able to match the standards of professional writers.

Posting an article, whether informational or technical, on the Internet infers the same sort of writing standard. The concern is there. Viewers might be strangers and unsympathetic critics that find fault with your style. The pressure to be near perfect would be there. I?m referring to ?articles? here, real articles and not just ?messages? as are sent on a select-interest discussion forum such as this one. A ?message? is the other extreme from ?article?. Messages, like this one here, differ big time from articles. Punctuation, spelling, writing style are not as important.

A week ago, I sent Dick Lemke a Word .doc attachment of an article I am writing for Model Yachting #138. I suspected that Dick might appreciate knowing that work on future magazines is under way, and I was hoping to learn his opinion. It?s an article having almost 5,000 words and a dozen photos. It took me about six weeks worth of spare time to write, re-write and re-write it again. If this article were to be for website use, I would not have gone through the bother of even starting on it. ?Why?? somebody might ask. ?It?s because I feel that way about it? would be my answer. Yes, for publication in the magazine I did it with enthusiasm. Dick has since come back to me with the comment that the article has some merit and probably deserves ink. On the other hand, if the editors turn it down, it just might wind up on the R/C Sailing Website as the first ?article? posted on this website in almost two years.

Rich Matt
AMYA 004

Just post it Rich, if you write it, it will be read, now… and can be printed out for all time. I think that the magazine was a fine thing, it offered something to the members that never saw a regatta for DECADES and it still has merit… but the info needs to get out there faster. The AMYA needs to improve in this area. They can’t wait until every single person of driving age has a car before they start building roads.

Start a trend, post it and drag the old website into the future as you do. The driving force behind the need for this is because it is something that can be accomplished. It is reasonable (it already exists) the price is a known commodity and lower than other media types, and it is better and faster. win/win/win

I know that everyone here that reads this stuff appreciates the work that all of you guys have put into the project, and the shortage of volunteers is proof enough, and I take this op to say THANKS again for making our hobby better.

www.LudwigRCYachts.com

It would also seem evident that some topics that have been discussed here on the Board are caused by lack of information elsewhere - or the excessively long wait for a follow-up publication article (if there ever is one) to better understand the process or what was implied.

My guess is that if someone were to take a compilation of both discussion boards, there would be certainly enough information to support one heck of an article - perhaps more in some cases. Simply look at the variety of topics, and with the personal jokes set aside, or the true “flaming” set aside, there is a wealth of information that “someone” could gleem to provide the basis for an article or two. Most new to this board, and even some of the seasoned posters probably have forgotten about the “articles” section of this board - and also the classified ad portion too.

Many (like myself) subscribe to certain posts or hot-link directly to the forum - which bypasses the front (home) page.

Let me take a moment to point out some information that seems to be discussed (including “how-to-do-its” in some cases) - yet will unlikely appear in the “offical” AMYA publication. At least they haven’t until now. For those who bemoan the lack of articles, I too point toward the discussion boards as a source for a lot of potentially great articles. And they might really be informative for those who are computer challenged.

Just look at the forum topics, and at the posts - here are a few whose information has yet to see the light of day in the M.Y. publications - but which have had a lot of information posted on the web…

1. Landyachts - does the publication have to be strictly softwater yachts?
    *** steering systems and concepts.
    *** ram-air wings and kites
    *** rotating wing masts
  2. Boat Reviews and Classes
    *** MountGay 30
    *** Footy class
    *** The Mirror dinghy kit
    *** The new offering being released by Climate Models - Halo 30
  3. Even the PUB section has some great stuff - most recently…
    *** Masthead versus fractional rigs
    *** Big boat canting keel technology
  4. Sailing simulators
  5. General Discussions such as…
    *** Getting old Marbleheads back on the water
    *** Battens on jibs
    *** Rule discussions
    *** Genoas and spinnakers
    *** Building of Triple Crown IOM and others
    *** Painting information
    *** MicroMagic class boats
    *** Boat speed
    *** Designing for rough water
    *** How-to: Inexpensive boat stands
    *** Battery questions and answers
    *** Hull & Sail graphics
    *** How-to and why not cast your own lead
    *** Swing rigs
    *** Sail area versus servo torque
    *** Revising servos for more travel-an update
    *** Center of heeling versus Center of gravity versus center of lateral resistance (A well written article easily explaing all in terms for non-Physics majors.
    *** Measurements, copying designs and copyright ettiquette
    *** Radios in general - lack of any info on the newest modular radios using cell phone technology. (Classic case) discusssion started late last summer, and here it is, nearly 9 months later and not a word about it from AMYA ! (Rich-Paul…this is the kind of stuff I would expect AMYA to take the lead on for ALL it’s members - searching, reporting, explaining the concept.)
    *** Single versus multi-panel sails. Build versus buy versus buy as a kit (Climate Models)
    *** Sail twist
    *** Sources for carbon fiber cloth, tubes, epoxy, etc. beyond paid advertisers
  6. New classes that could be emerging…
    *** Halo 30
    *** MicroMagic
    *** XL25
    *** Footy
    *** PipSqueak
    *** Balmain Bugs
    *** R/C Land Yachts
    *** Re-energize the old “M” Class boats
    *** Multihulls - 2 Meter, F-48, 1 Meter, sub 1 Meter
  7. Technology
    *** A “balanced boat”
    *** Moveable ballast
    *** Canting keels
    *** Foils
    *** Collective steering
    *** Wing masts & Solid wings
  8. And of course - the multihulls side of things.

So - I would submit that while these may be “discussions” a simple grouping and formal compiling would turn any/all into an “article”. And these are genreated directly from this website. How many others would come after a review and recap of WindPower.

FYI… or just to keep this theard going but…
Yesterday I recivied in the mail the lastiest issue of Model Yachting Mag. issue 139 featuring Vintage model yacht group. I know in the past peaple have grip about the MY delay and content, there for I am glad to see the hard work from the staff of MY is paying off and producing the MY quicker. Maybe the editor of MY would consider changeing the format from 4 issues a year to 6 issue a year. As for the content, I enjoy the articals on the vintage model and learning a little more about the history this sport. I am looking forward to the next issue featuring the seawind.
Thanks and keep up the good work

MY has been a quarterly issue since (I believe) it was started back in the 70’s. There is alot of work that goes into each issue of MY and many volunteer hours are invested in producing MY. Many of the volunteers have “day jobs” (I’m one of them) and also family and other life interests. I don’t think the MY staff or the AMYA board of directors would consider producing 6 issues a years. There is also increased cost involved in bi-monthly production. That is also a AMYA BOD consideration.

My observation has been (so far) that one of the toughest aspects of puttting together an issue of MY is assembling the material. Almost all of the material is submitted to the MY staff. Each each has a feature subject. Most of the issues the feature is a particular class, in the case of MY139 it was the intage Model Yacht Group. As I understand it the USVMYG provided more than enough material for publication, but that is not always the case. Sometime there is not enough material from a featured class to flesh out the issue. The MY editor usually finds a way to fill the empty areas.

Class News is another part of each MY issue. The class secretaries are responsible for submitting articles for the Class News section of each MY issue. We usually have a 50% submission rate for Class News. Everyone, including class secretaries, has a life outside of our hobby of Model Yachting, although I’d like to see a 100% submission rate for the class news.

Cheers,
David Ward
MY Class News Editor

So … just an expressed thought … maybe drop the classes that aren’t participating?

Might shake out a few volunteers who “would” get info to you? And, if I am allowed to comment (not complain) it is just another issue without an Open Class Report. When was the last issue (number) that contained anything for the Open Class - just wondering out loud.

Hello Dick, I don’t get MY but what the editor David is actuly saying is also said by most Newsletter Editors all round the World in model R/C “anything”. The basic problem is that the material is just not forth coming from the hobbyist. The blokes that put it together (like David) have their jobs cut out just to produce it four times a year (hence " he has another life") when they have all the material. Where it all becomes too hard is when that material is just not available to physically put it into type.

The common membership who possibly don’t do anything to help the organisation, even non-attending there National Championships or Interstate Championships, shows whatever etc. Sit at home (on their bums) and still want their MY magazine . I remember when I was in Marblehead in 2000 the National President said exactly the same thing as David said. What it worked out at 2000 members/ 200 members actually turn up for Championships. The input is 10%. Not good.

Dick, your a good writer with a lot of common sense and you could fill the gaps that come about in these newsletter write- up. I really think you and David should get together.

And to the rest of the 1800 members of MY it will only happen if you all contribute. Now if you can’t contribute a story to MY then turn up to one of their EVENTS (if only as a visitor).

Steve -

Too bad you don’t subscribe to MY as this issue is on vintage classes - including Marbleheads and very well done!

As for me - my past includes that I have submitted several articles in several issues about multihulls, I have submitted a technical overview of WEST SYSTEM epoxy, and I have even contributed to an issue where 11x17 inch plans for a multihull were included as a “centerfold”. I spent/spend time trying to promote the multihull effort and act as secretary for both the F-48 and the MultiONE classes. I enlarge, print and sell (for my cost) enlarged plans for building five different models of multihulls, and promote legitimate builders able to provide hulls, kits or complete boats in a timely fashion. I also provide information and old articles for a few different classes that may not be popular any longer. I reply to emails about multihull questions, or about building questions regarding the various processes that I have tried, and also tips and direction where to find glass or carbon cloth at reasonable prices.

From 1983 until 1997 I served as the Class Secretary/Treasurer for the US 18 Square Meter Catamaran Association, and kept books, paid bills, ordered supplies for our yearly North Americans, was laision to yacht clubs around the US hosting our events, registered boats, obtained two sponsorships and raced at US regattas, and managed to pen newsletters for the class. During this time I was also published in several of Multihulls International and SAIL magazines. From 1976 to 1986 I served as Secretary to our local catamaran club in Michigan, and for 5 years I developed, promoted and ran a charity fundraiser for cancer. At least once each year I tried to serve either on a regatta committee, or on a race committee and voluntarily produced trophies for both local and state regattas. In my free time, I also served on the local Board of Directors for the American Red Cross and was a volunteer instructor for water safety, lifesaving and sailing. Won’t go into the various hockey or swim team volunteers when children were in highschool - but there were a few hours wrapped up there as well.

Might also want to read a previous post in this thread where I was “taken to task” for asking about and suggesting the use of the web for our publications - which was summarily discarded without much considerations.

So, yes, I suppose one could “suggest” I get involved, but - like you - I have been there and have done that. I understand what Dave is saying, and likewise have encountered it first hand. Volunteer “Burn-Out” is no stranger to me, but I do offer suggestions - perhaps not popular such as dropping classes that can’t seem to find the time to write 4 articles a year. (Not weekly or monthly - just quarterly). If, for example, a class was on the edge of AMYA non-recognition because no one would spend a half-hour to write articles, do you think someone would step forward? And if they didn’t - so what? If there is no news, one could conclude there was nothing happening in the class - right?

On a different forum I noted one of the best kept secrets was the AMYA US12 Class. It is now recognized - but no news from the Open Class Secretaries (multiple) to even let us know it was growing during any of the last three year’s newsletters. Yet - somehow they managed to get 20 boats and AMYA recognition - how did that happen without any news, publication or even rules on the AMYA website? Has anyone seen any postings about the class? What do they look like? Heck - I see there is even a class secretary! Sounds like a “Stealth” class to me.

In any event, since some may question and suggest I get involved, hopefully you will know how I spent my free time. And for those who haven’t - ask yourself a simple question that may be difficult to answer… “What have you done for your local or national club during the last year - and if the answer is nothing - when are you going to do something to make a difference?”

End of rant

Dick , thats not a rant, shipmate . Thats telling like it is.

I hate to double post Dick. This question you on . I was talking to a freind the other day about 'Sports Flying" in Australia. It used to be called Model Airplanes. So My mate showed me their magazine. Do you know there was not one article of any description in this 25 pager. So I Emailed the editor and asked the question of where were the articles? She said nobody has written anything for ages and if I wanted to I could submit one. And I did, on R/C model yachts and it was printed. So I wonder do I make it (R/C yachting ) a regular feature in the Model airplane news?

One other thing that should be looked at here. Maybe if your organization have a lot of “shiny bums” (arm chair sailors). If they had to do something for their newsletters other than shine their pants , they make think again. Like for instance, perhaps if they have to turn up (as visitors) at say three state or national events each year to qualify for a newsletter. What then?? Are you guys making it too easy for them not to participate?

Re: Sailing in an airplane magazine …

Great idea and one certainly to follow. We have only two “public” magazines of any general following/subscriptions here that are on news stands or by subscription. One of them used to carry at least one sialing article each month, and Rod Carr was favorite editor for the mag. Unfortunately, even with his vast experience, he was unable to keep up with the feature article either. (at least I think so as I stopped subscribing when only powerboat articles were the basis.

By far, the best magazine is from the U.K. via Traplet Publications, and called Marine Modelling - it has a major benefit - as the editor is/was also a sailing enthusiast (Chris Jackson) and through his interest, the publication continues to provide a bit of interest for sailors. While it is predominately British, he does a good job of “rooting” out other developments and is the only mainstream magazine that covers my multihull interests. It has featured the Microsail Foiler trimaran in the past.

As for mandatory participation, I am afraid too many would revolt at that idea, and AMYA (here) has made efforts to embrace the non-racer. It was that group I had hoped would emerge from within the OPEN Class in cruising events. Doing something to get the non-racer just to come out and sail. I guess most AMYA members feel it is necessary to put all efforts into competitive events, and thus any “day sailing” activity is not a priority. It is well noted in several posts that there are more non-registered purchased boats in some classes than the registered ones - the Victor Soling, the Victor Cup Classes, the Seawind and probably Victoria and CR914 would be such examples. The other group is that in which you are involved, and which I would lump together as the “older” versions. Too old for today’s modern technology, but not quite old enough to be considered “vintage”. They gather dust (if lucky) or get broken (if unlucky) in storage - too good to throw away ( or carrying family memories of fathers or grandfathers who sailed them, yet too old to show up at a class regatta to really be competitive or place well. Nothing provided for them, and like US SAiling who also has similar issues of racer/nonracer for big boats - what can you do to attract the non-racer, and how much time or effort does a club devote?

Sorry - not a lot of bright, new ideas. Too bad there isn’t a way to get a national database of buyers so one could at least survey them and maybe develop some sort of event. When back in my home state, one idea was to take a large body of water (but with chase boats) and have sailors sail to several different locations. At each site, a non-competitor would randomly draw a playing card and attach it to the boat and then the skipper would sail to another spot and obtain another card. Once back and with a minimum of five cards, the skipper would take his “poker hand” and place a monetary bet on how good of a hand he had. Once all were back, the highest poker hand would win the door prize, the money collected on “bets” would go to a local charity (or the local club’s coffers) and everyone would retire to a picnic lunch - usually potluck where everyone contributed. Kind of a variation on the “poker run” car or motorcycle enthusiasts might recall. Good sialing, reliable gear and batteries were the key, and many impromptu races would develop by boats between shore locations.

Completely btw, here in Japan, in the Model Airplanes mag, you have every month a “small” article about sailing, 2-3 pages with a few pictures, followed by gliders articles…

I have emailed the AMYA from their site at least 3 times begging for my magazine. They just stopped coming. I have not received any issues for months. Nor have they ever emailed me back. Very odd.