Trim Tabs(on the bottom)

Interesting, though small, article in the new issue of sail magazine by Josh Adams. Discusses the application of 2’(.6m) by 1’(.3m) dual trim tabs, one on each side for trimming a 90’(27.4m) race boat when it is planing. Maximum movement is 10? and the normal range is 3 to 6 degrees.
Comment from the designer,Hugh Welbourn:“I think that as speeds continue to increase, other designers wil wake up to the fact that these boats operate like powerboats much of the time.”

Doug Lord
–High Technology Sailing/Racing

the hull design and way in which boats are propelled is totally different ntm the weight of a 90’ boat is incredible. this guy actually thinks that a couple little pieces of 1x2 sheet metal are going to be able to adjust the boat? if anything they will act as brakes. a power boat has constant power, sailboats depend on the wind. i think trim tabs are the dumbest thing i’ve ever heard.

i love tinkering with these boats it takes up time i’m sure my girfreind is going to hate it soon

You shouldn’t react so strongly to something you apparently don’t understand: this was not a “proposed” idea but one that IS NOW being used and that has been PROVEN on this first boat to increase speed!
It can’t be too dumb an idea if it actually increases boat speed!

Doug Lord

Not much differece to a T foil on the rudder of a int 14, does the same job more or less. The increase in speed they’ve got from the 14’s since the T foils have been used is massive, their now as fast as the 16 foot 49er upwind and down. Not supprising their doing the same on big boats. Any idea which boat their being put on Doug? Genuine Risk?

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

The name of the boat is: “Bols” The effect is about 50% of what t-foils do: the trim tabs will push the bow down if you have a bow up trim problem; but they do nothing to hold the stern down if the trim problem is opposite…

Doug Lord

wow
doug
dumb is not the word
cougar
trying to keep peace here is a full time job
i now know why everybody using canadains as peacekeeper. i am close to losing it myself. but i am going home soon

Cougar:“dumb is not the word”? Do you think that is a appropriate thing to say about an idea being used succesfully on a 90 footer designed by one of the top sailboat designers in the UK??? Amazing!

Doug Lord

This would be a great addition to any sailboat. Just imagine the speed that could be produced by “flapping” them when the wind lulls. I think this technology has potential. [:-jester]

Tom
Seawind #80

Dear Gale(alien): briliant thoughtful response!
Actually I don’t see an application in rc boats for these trim tabs— yet.

Doug Lord

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by lorsail

Dear Gale(alien): briliant thoughtful response!
Actually I don’t see an application in rc boats for these trim tabs— yet.
Doug Lord
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>
so why this post???

Wis

if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it!

http://wismerhell.esmartdesign.com/index.htm
http://public.fotki.com/wismerhell/

i can understand the use of a t-foil and looking at it a little closer i guess i could see an application of trim tabs, but i still don’t think their usefull, i mean are we talking the same thing as on a power boat? and wouldn’t this post belong under “the pub” seeing as its not about rc sailing (no flaming intended)

i love tinkering with these boats it takes up time i’m sure my girfreind is going to hate it soon

thread locked by moderator Dan Sherman