transition

who else started in big boats and transfered over to rc? i just started building within the last year and after being used to the “big boat” way of doing things “with beer and sunshine” to the basement its quite different. lol jus thought it was an interesting topic

i love tinkering with these boats it takes up time i’m sure my girfreind is going to hate it soon

When I ws a rug rat I was lucky enough to live on the water; my brother and I built “free sailing” models for years. Between the ages of 9 and 11 we used to have our own “America’s Cup” every month. I built my first free saiing multihull(with a trapeze) during this time period-went much faster than I could run! Even beat my 15’ Windmill!
From around 12 on I raced full size boats but still kept building models as time would permit. Never got totally out of one or the other-- models have always been a part of my sailing experience-luckily for me.

Doug Lord
–High Technology Sailing/Racing

I started racing full sized boats at the ripe old age of 7. Spent my first year crewing for a neighbor. Got my first boat the next year (a 16’ “X-boat” which is the junior boat in scow country). Sailed in the jonior fleet on Pewaukee lake (home of the Harkens) until I was 15. Then I crewed with my father on our family’s M-20 scow for 3 years before going off to college. Raced intercollegiate dinghies in college and got a crewing job on an IOD out of Marblehead (Eastern YC)in the summer. Traveled to SF Bay, Bermuda and even Norway to race in world championship regattas in the IOD class. Moved to Detriot after college and joined the crew on a J-35. Started on foredeck (I only weighted 150# at the time) moved back to the Genoa trimmer spot the next year and was tapped as the 2nd helmsman for the long distance races. Jumped ship to a 40 footer the next season. Started off as genoa trimmer for a year, but the owner handed me the helmsman role the next year.

Gave all that up when I got married… Now I race a Fairwind…

• Will

Will Gorgen

hey what j/35 were you on? i raced on the tarten ten “no rebase” and the express 27 "blue max over the past 10 years here in detroit

i love tinkering with these boats it takes up time i’m sure my girfreind is going to hate it soon

I was on the J-35 Jaeger (owned by Lee Sutton) sailing out of Cresent SYC in 1993 through 1995.

Then I was on Silver Cloud (Level 66 owned by Curt Kime) sailing out of Grosse Point YC. That boat was sold about 4 years ago and that crew now sails on the same owner’s new boat, Victrix in the GL50 class.

Now I sail a Fairwind and soon a US1M in the AAMYC. Quite a change, I must say…

• Will

Will Gorgen

my first boat was a a albacore. then moved on to the dutchman.
the only trouble i had was dept perception. for the big boat to the small stuff.
but i also learn how to design at a young age
cougar

by aamyc u mean ann arbor model yacht club? cause i’m building a us1m now and if they race them that’d be great, and i know jeagar, i love the name of that boat. i’m on a j/29 this year running foredeck… and i got a carbon pole on the new boat:) it rocks.

Yup: AAMYC = Ann Arbor Model Yacht Club.

We race US1Ms. There are always at least 2 boats. most days 3 or 4. One day last season we had 9. My boat is new to the fleet this year, but I don’t know when I will get it completed, so I may not be racing until midway through the year.

Take a look at the club website for contact info, schedule, etc. It’d be great to get you on the water…

http://www.orgsites.com/mi/aamyc/index.html

Will Gorgen