Transat:Parliers Cat?new model?

For those with accss to “The Daily Sail” there (from what I read) is STUNNING video posted of Parliers cat at the start. Seems to be moving about 30% faster than the big tris…
Obligatory model content:
Would these hulls work for models? At full size they have a mid range resistance problem but that may not translate down to models–Would be interesting…

edt:sp
Doug Lord
–High Technology Sailing/Racing

I am thinking about it for my next cat…[:)]

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

Is there a three view of this boat somewhere?

Dont know quite what you are after Loads of pic’s on http://www.parlier.org/hydraplaneur/evenements/courses.php?id=3&lang=eng under media…

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

Thanks for the link. Quite interesting that they are using a stepped hull like a single step hydroplane. I wonder if the benefits would translate to a scale model?

The chances are it won’t translate wel: the smaller the model the worse it will be. Parlier used rc models to originally test the concept-they were two meter boats ,I believe.
One way to research the chracteristics of small stepped hulls is to look at what works on rc seaplanes: beam to length ratio, step position and relationship to CG , weight and speed need to be looked at closely. Planning in models like ,for instance, model skiff hulls is very difficult to achieve; narrow hulls are almost always faster. But these “floats” are narrow and by looking at rc sailplane data you could gain valuable insight.

Doug Lord
–High Technology Sailing/Racing

for more information
go to see here
<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=640<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

J have began my Cat and the hull are almost finished

aym from France

Hi Anthony -

I am guessing that you are building a replica of this boat? What size are you building to? The Mini40 or the 2 Meter - and will you be racing it - or is it just for sailing?

Thank you for sharing photos and information on the big boat - and please post photos as you build your small one.

hi dick

well it’s my first boat so I made it small (because it’s cheaper (servo winch) ) so I don’t think I could race with it … it’s 82 cm long (mini 28 ?)…
and all is in wood !!! more easier to build and make a “moving-systeme” to find the best position for mast and others …
If it works, why not a bigger one ??

last news of “the transat”
Let it sleep on it
04/06/2004 16:58:00
Yves Parlier gained some nautical miles as last night was testing for everyone. The wind went from 20 to 35knots, with peaks at 45 knots. M?diatis R?gion Aquitaine is getting closer to Karine Fauconnier. He is 67 nautical miles behind her. Yves Parlier is still far behind the first competitor, Michel Desjoyeaux as more than 300 nautical miles still separate them.

At 9 AM (UT), Yves Parlier relates his night in the heart of the depression. He has hauled in both mainsails and sails with his masts only. ?Last night I reefed a little in advance compared to the boat?s potential, but I was right in doing so. The boat is so fast in the waves; it could be a bit rough for the boat and the equipment. When on the wind the boat remains difficult to balance.?

M?diatis R?gion Aquitaine came unharmed out of this trial eventhough there was water on board: ?the cockpits are flooded and I still have water on board?.

This first night of rough weather provides some lessons though: ?It is more difficult than with a monohull and one gets over the waves less easily. Each time I am maneouvering or hoisting different sails combination it is a novelty. I do not know if I will memorize everything because sometimes I am a little overwhelmed.?

The night?s conclusion? ?M?diatis R?gion Aquitaine remains very seaworthy when the sails are hauled in, under masts only?. At 9.30AM (UT) his router Yannick Bestaven advises him to increase the speed to go catch an anticyclonic ridge ?I am curious to see how the boat behaves under ORC on the wind? the insatiable experimenter carries on. A priori, this sails configuration is penalizing for the boat. One thing is for sure, it is difficult to maintain the heading under masts only.

Yves Parlier is already preparing for the second depression which should not be as strong, for the coming night. He is going to rest in conditions worthy of the hydraplaneur ?I still do not have the adequate equipment therefore I sleep with my oilskin on.? Yves will stay on course towards the south and increase his speed to 12 knots before considering the way of bypassing this second depression.

Position of M?diatis R?gion Aquitaine ? 2:15 PM TU
Latitude: 52 4.56? N
Longitude: 31 16.28? W
Course: 156 degrees
Speed: 6,2 knots

Going off on a lttle tangent thinking about my next boat, would an R/C tunnel hull work? I would doubt you guys have heard of this boat, the Laser Vortex;

It works on the idea that as it goes along air is forced in between the hulls while it cannot escape as quickly out of the back, increasing pressure underneath the boat and lifting it up slightly. In anything above a mid force 3 its a rocket ship upwind and on the reach, it is almost as quick as lighter skiff type boats with more sail area when the wind gets up. Downwind and in light winds it is frankly a slug. I wonder however that as a better sail area to displacement ratio would be possible with a model weather it would work. Perhaps a twin rig tunell hull, or a more conventional cat with tunnel hull floats? Just a mad thought for you!

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

a french, Margail (well known here with his free plan) have made research in this direction (ground effect)
http://water.resist.free.fr (in english)

anthony from france

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by Matthew Lingley

I would doubt you guys have heard of this boat, the Laser Vortex;
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

Looks a lot like the long departed <s>ment</s> Hobie 12 ! Except this one has a decent looking sail/rig !

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by aym

a french, Margail (well known here with his free plan) anthony from france

Anthony -

Know Jean very well - am currently building (I have started again) his Mini40 trimaran from his free plans.

Download Attachment: [ smstarBow.jpg](http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/data/Dick Lemke/200464172723_smstarBow.jpg)
62.78KB

Regards, Dick

I have seen that site before, very interesting stuff he’s doing. I’m not quite after full on flying like he is though!

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

I’m looking at the Water Resist as well as other multi hull plans and the Parlier’s Cat and I’m wondering how are you guys constructing your cross beams?

I have used pultruded carbon rod for most beams up to 10mm dia, although where a bit more strength is needed I have used 30mm carbon tube sourced from broken fullsize skiff tiller extentions (not my own!).

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by Rcher

I’m looking at the Water Resist as well as other multi hull plans and the Parlier’s Cat and I’m wondering how are you guys constructing your cross beams?

On my MultiONE, I am using carbon tubes that are straight and about 1/2 inch in diameter. I am handling my difference in heights of floats to main hull using raised stations that bring the cross tube up higher that the main hull.
Download Attachment: [ smWet1.jpg](http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/data/dick lemke/200467202543_smWet1.jpg)
25.69KB
In this photo (above) you can see the mainhull support stations. This was during float testing, and I wound up raising the back one slightly higher to allow the float to contact the water further forward.

For the F-48 (“WATER RESIST”) I decided to use some very thin strips of Western Red Cedar and built a laminating jig. Epoxied the laminations (about 8 layers as I recall) and after cure, removed them from the jig. Will be cut to size and connected to floats. Following photo is the WATER RESIST boat with cross beams held in place for measuring and locating.
Download Attachment: [ smPortBowonBed.jpg](http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/data/dick lemke/200467202950_smPortBowonBed.jpg)
59.46KB

Finally, you can shape them out of foam and simply cover with glass. Here is a sketch from a Brazil site.
Download Attachment: [ bracurv.gif](http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/data/dick lemke/200467203210_bracurv.gif)
31.89KB
Download Attachment:
[ unionbracurv.gif](http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/data/dick lemke/20046720331_unionbracurv.gif)
56.76KB Note that in the plans, the builder used 3mm (1/8 inch) ply for a core, then covered with foam, shaped and glassed.

The main concern is stiffness and removal of torsion twist between the hulls. On the other hand, the Gougeon Brothers built their fill size trimaran ADRENALIN (Forumula 40) and the floats were intended to swing and move up and down independant of the main hull and each other, since the idea was they might be in different wave patterns at the same time. Seemed to work very well until the Formula 40 class outlawed trimarans!

to make the cross beams of my mini parlier’s cat , I decided to use wood (cheaper) because I have to find the best tuning … after …I don’t known for the moment

There is a bunch of pretty good ideas there. Are you allowed to make the crossbeams adjustable?

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Are you allowed to make the crossbeams adjustable?<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

in my case, no problem because it’s a “free” class … and I want ajustable croosneams just to find the best positions and lenght of crossbeams and the mast positions too …
the only problem is that perhaps wood is too heavy !

anthony